Driver Profitability report

tourists24

It amazes me every day to read about how everyone is so pissed obout the unfair allowances. WHO CARES. You cannot be disciplined for being over allowed, as long as your not out there screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing you will never be in trouble.

as long as your not out there screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing - I do believe this is where we have the breakdown bertween the driver and management...when we use telematics - EOJS - virtual OJS or the daily report to review this with the employee all of a sudden its our numbers that are screwed up and the employee wasn't doing anything wrong. You get an hour for lunch and a 10 minute break (at least in this area anyway). Everything else belongs to UPS, man up or women up, quit screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing because we just showed you you where....just do your job, complete your day, punch out go home.

It is what it is.....
I tend to agree with your statements here Dragon,,, though dont be shocked when that's all you get, and dont be suprised that there is no loyalty attached with it. Your attitude is the same as a lot of sups. I dont begrudge you of it. Like you said it is what it is. But you keep beating a dead horse, you'll get an employee who does just that. Do the job, get the check....

just interested

Any employee can ask to see the centers allowances, they are on CRS (if it is still called that) it breaks down every allowance by area and the standard allowances for the center. each area has different standards, depending on the type, length of walk to del, signature or dr, etc.

Where I'm being hired, the HR is in charge of two locations. Is there information I should find out about both locations before making the final decision at which one I want to work? Knowing what y'all know now, what questions would you be asking while deciding? In the long run (after this position is done), I want to end up with night time routes and/or sat deliveries, because that will fit best with my schedule. Currently, I'm being hired as a reg-temp, which as far as I've been told officially ends 12/31/2010.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I tend to agree with your statements here Dragon,,, though dont be shocked when that's all you get, and dont be suprised that there is no loyalty attached with it. Your attitude is the same as a lot of sups. I dont begrudge you of it. Like you said it is what it is. But you keep beating a dead horse, you'll get an employee who does just that. Do the job, get the check....

Tourist24 don't take me wrong, this manager does not go around pounding the crap out of drivers daily with the above mentioned reports. Most drivers give it all they got when they go on road, some days are better than others. The daily reports and the reviews that go along with them keeps everyone focused on the job at hand and gives us a job to come back to tomorrow.

How ever if you are that "special driver or drivers" that require some extra attention, I promise you, you will get all the extra attention you will ever want or need and it starts with those reports.

A tip for some of you new drivers - get off the morning report...

hypocrisy

Banned
excellent congrats on your degree in BS.

you want me to give you the current eri questions on a public forum so we can skew the results of future eri's?

you don't know what the questions are but yet you feel they are skewed?

It appears your degree and expertise may be overstated?

It's been over 2 years since I've taken the ERI, and sorry but I don't have a photographic memory.
Next time I take the ERI I will note down all the questions and post them here and at Teamsters.org so we can all review them.
Thanks for the suggestion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's been over 2 years since I've taken the ERI, and sorry but I don't have a photographic memory.
Next time I take the ERI I will note down all the questions and post them here and at Teamsters.org so we can all review them.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you won't be doing that as the ERI is proprietary information.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Well, whoever decided that this was a way to induce drivers into raising the company some more profits, was dead wrong. As they started to give the drivers this 'feedback,' drivers took it personal, a slap in the face for all their hard work. Drivers were pissed, talking to other pissed off drivers, thus aggitating their moods. Several phone calls to their sups, after they left the building. Sups desperately trying to say that the form was merely informational, trying to get driver back to delivering. I was on safety that's why I gleam the behind scenes stuff. This one form in the wasted time it took to dream it up, the production time, the implementation time, and the back draft time has probably cost the company more money than a simple all page of 'This company would be raking in the cash if it wasn't for you. You need to speed up your production even more, Slugo.' Equally effective and less costly. And if this was just a result of needed feedback from ERI, which I don't buy, whoever decided to do it this way, should be unemployed.

PS: The Steward, can't think of his name, from Witchita KS, is right on with overallowed. IT DOES NOT MATTER, it's a BONUS system a driver has no say in.:knockedout::smart:

BrownBlue

New Jack
In addition, as a safety chair, I get to see management in their natural work mode after the drivers leave, while I do paper work oh I mean SAFETY. It is a different world than that of a driver. A driver goes out and works non-stop, save for short chats, breaks, and lunch. Sups text, send forwards of youtube videos, and pictures off internet, gossip, walk around aimlessly, gossip, rag-on-employees, talk about relations, gossip, do some work on their computer, answer phone calls, rag-on-customers, etc. Very little work is actually done compared to a driver. I don't believe the major leaks in profit are with the driver group. But, I don't know everything, I just pretend to.:peaceful:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
In addition, as a safety chair, I get to see management in their natural work mode after the drivers leave, while I do paper work oh I mean SAFETY. It is a different world than that of a driver. A driver goes out and works non-stop, save for short chats, breaks, and lunch. Sups text, send forwards of youtube videos, and pictures off internet, gossip, walk around aimlessly, gossip, rag-on-employees, talk about relations, gossip, do some work on their computer, answer phone calls, rag-on-customers, etc. Very little work is actually done compared to a driver. I don't believe the major leaks in profit are with the driver group. But, I don't know everything, I just pretend to.:peaceful:

Sounds like any other office job, if you are in doubt ask anybody that works in a office daily . However the second a supervisor goes out to observe a driver he is stalking him, Fix the DOL - he is screwing it up, watching ODSe and send you a message - he is harrasing you, Goes out and does a OJS ride with you - same thing harrasing you. Damn if you do - damn if you don't.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It amazes me every day to read about how everyone is so pissed obout the unfair allowances. WHO CARES. You cannot be disciplined for being over allowed, as long as your not out there screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing you will never be in trouble.

as long as your not out there screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing - I do believe this is where we have the breakdown bertween the driver and management...when we use telematics - EOJS - virtual OJS or the daily report to review this with the employee all of a sudden its our numbers that are screwed up and the employee wasn't doing anything wrong. You get an hour for lunch and a 10 minute break (at least in this area anyway). Everything else belongs to UPS, man up or women up, quit screwing off and doing things you shouldn't be doing because we just showed you you where....just do your job, complete your day, punch out go home.

It is what it is.....

P-man has stated more times than once that USUALLY when a driver is overallowed that its the dispatch that is the cause along with other thinks like having a bad load, misloads, and too much work on the truck, but I have never heard ANY management person say this and actually try to work with the dispatch and preload sup to fix anything..IT IS ALWAYS THE DRIVERS FAULT...PERIOD. Even when a sup goes out and states that the load is friend*up it is STILL THE DRIVERS FAULT. Would anyone like to explain this, is this a fair situation, how about a civil conversation about this. Management wants to relate this to the 1 or 2 drivers in the center that might have issues and use that as a blanket statement for everybody. The allowances arent proper for todays ups...larger trucks so much more bulk, faster faster attitude. Are you telling me its fair that driver A grabs an envelop and delivers it to a house. Driver B has a pottery barn dresser to go up 3 flights of stairs to an apartment, BUT THEY GET THE SAME ALLOWANCE...does anyone else see a problem with this???There is a major problem with allowances and EVERYBODY seems to be thrown in the same allowance no matter what... you should be able to have enough time to do everything the job requires without having to cut corners or run around without a chicken with your head cut off..at this point of time as a whole drivers dont have enough time...and there is a reason for this.

tieguy

Banned
P-man has stated more times than once that USUALLY when a driver is overallowed that its the dispatch that is the cause along with other thinks like having a bad load, misloads, and too much work on the truck, but I have never heard ANY management person say this and actually try to work with the dispatch and preload sup to fix anything..IT IS ALWAYS THE DRIVERS FAULT...PERIOD. Even when a sup goes out and states that the load is friend*up it is STILL THE DRIVERS FAULT. Would anyone like to explain this, is this a fair situation, how about a civil conversation about this. Management wants to relate this to the 1 or 2 drivers in the center that might have issues and use that as a blanket statement for everybody. The allowances arent proper for todays ups...larger trucks so much more bulk, faster faster attitude. Are you telling me its fair that driver A grabs an envelop and delivers it to a house. Driver B has a pottery barn dresser to go up 3 flights of stairs to an apartment, BUT THEY GET THE SAME ALLOWANCE...does anyone else see a problem with this???There is a major problem with allowances and EVERYBODY seems to be thrown in the same allowance no matter what... you should be able to have enough time to do everything the job requires without having to cut corners or run around without a chicken with your head cut off..at this point of time as a whole drivers dont have enough time...and there is a reason for this.

whether or not your management team feels its you or the dispatch is something you probably should discuss with them. I hope that your being able to relay to them specifics on dispatch problems would have to help some?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
whether or not your management team feels its you or the dispatch is something you probably should discuss with them. I hope that your being able to relay to them specifics on dispatch problems would have to help some?

The singe largest problem I see is having IE call the center 20 minutes before start time and cut out 3 cars. As you probably can imaging can make a poor situation go bad very fast. On regards to my dispatch, I go out there and do the best I can with a VERY full truck...if the center cant run an extra car, it does me or my coworkers no good if there is nowhere to put the extra bulk. I suck it up, if they cant figure out why my allowance is poor, which they can see everyday by my ridiculous load, it really isnt my problem(even though it is once I get on the street).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The singe largest problem I see is having IE call the center 20 minutes before start time and cut out 3 cars. As you probably can imaging can make a poor situation go bad very fast. On regards to my dispatch, I go out there and do the best I can with a VERY full truck...if the center cant run an extra car, it does me or my coworkers no good if there is nowhere to put the extra bulk. I suck it up, if they cant figure out why my allowance is poor, which they can see everyday by my ridiculous load, it really isnt my problem(even though it is once I get on the street).
+1, you can only tell the dispatcher, center manager or on-road so many times about the load. After that is done and it's left un-fixed, you just do the best you can with what they give you, which is usually lots of overtime.

Dagoof

So yesterday i was directed to take two send agains from another driver and reattemp them. He had air to get back to the building. So i did and it took me about 20 minutes there and back to my route. so this reports says it cost 4 dollars per send again. so 2 send agains = $8 20 minutes of overtime = $11 and some change plus mileage and wear on the truck. Im the one costing the company money? hmmmm

browned out

And You end up with businesses in your 8000 section. Sheer genius. They say go thru the load and look for business. If you don't know the area; how are you supposed to know actual biz addresses. Do they know how many people run businesses out of their homes and use on the biz name on the address? Biz savers in the 8000 section; whatever. More miles, more time and I will make service for my customers and my new 8000 section customers.

browned out

And with all that bulk; you are still only allowed 7 seconds to select package. I am doing 170 stops out of a 7 cube and used to do 140 stops in a 10 cube. Same route but more stops and more pieces. UPS is always talking about losing time in the back of the package car yet these jokers are no longer buying 8 cube package cars; only 5s 7s and 10s in my area. 5 cubes are basically useless in my center.

tourists24

So yesterday i was directed to take two send agains from another driver and reattemp them. He had air to get back to the building. So i did and it took me about 20 minutes there and back to my route. so this reports says it cost 4 dollars per send again. so 2 send agains = $8 20 minutes of overtime = $11 and some change plus mileage and wear on the truck. Im the one costing the company money? hmmmm
Now now now... it doesnt count when its the other way around.... lol

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We had a new supe recently that wanted to sit the drivers in my loop down to discuss changing the routes around to be more efficient. Whew, she just got transfered. Her thinking would have cost me thousands a year in overtime.

Theichii

We had a new supe recently that wanted to sit the drivers in my loop down to discuss changing the routes around to be more efficient. Whew, she just got transfered. Her thinking would have cost me thousands a year in overtime.

They had an idea that would have worked?