Driver retro in progression

UPS4Life

I know the whole retro check is like beating a dead horse but i'm interested in some info from other hubs if this applies to anyone.

I'm a fulltime feeder driver with a 2011 Seniority date, let's call it September 1st to make this easy. As of Aug 1st I was making 18.45/hr and when I hit seniority I was raised to 20.75. When the retro checks came out I got paid 70 cents from Aug. 1st- April 27th. Now i'm being told I owe back pay from everything after my seniority date "September 1st" because the 70 cents doesn't stick with the progression rate. So in other words I receive a 70 cent raise going from 18.45-19.15 and once I hit seniority my rate goes back to 20.75 even though somebody with a seniority date of say July 31st is going to get 21.45 until such driver hits top rate? Really curious if any other facilities are having this problem its a never ending battle and I was looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance,

UPS4Life

Bottom rung

That's the way it is. You get the raise until you reach your next seniority date when you get your next progression raise. This has been a mess in my building.

Inthegame

I know the whole retro check is like beating a dead horse but i'm interested in some info from other hubs if this applies to anyone.

I'm a fulltime feeder driver with a 2011 Seniority date, let's call it September 1st to make this easy. As of Aug 1st I was making 18.45/hr and when I hit seniority I was raised to 20.75. When the retro checks came out I got paid 70 cents from Aug. 1st- April 27th. Now i'm being told I owe back pay from everything after my seniority date "September 1st" because the 70 cents doesn't stick with the progression rate. So in other words I receive a 70 cent raise going from 18.45-19.15 and once I hit seniority my rate goes back to 20.75 even though somebody with a seniority date of say July 31st is going to get 21.45 until such driver hits top rate? Really curious if any other facilities are having this problem its a never ending battle and I was looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance,

UPS4Life
Your rate should have been $18.45 on July 31, 2013. You went to $19.15 on August 1, 2013. On Sept 1, 2013, you went to the old (three year) progression increase of $20.75 (which exceeds the $19.15 rate by a bit). Your retro was $.70 for straight time ($1.05 for OT) hours worked between Aug 1 and your seniority date in September. You’ll move to $21.45 on August 1, 2014 and wait for it……your “never ending battle” will end this September.

UPS4Life

That's the way it is. You get the raise until you reach your next seniority date when you get your next progression raise. This has been a mess in my building.
So even though there is no difference from person a hired in July and person b hired in September the July makes out because he was hired before august 1st. It just seems crazy that you get a 70 cent raise and when you hit your seniority date they take it back. I feel like the 70 cents should go across the board for all three years even if your at 17.25, 18.45 or 20.75 and not lose that. On a serious note though who would agree to something so stupid if that's the way it is?

Thanks for the feedback so far

Ups4life

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bottom rung

I agree. Someone with less seniority will not make more than you will per hour, but they will earn more money than you through progression than what you did. The system is broken.

UPS4Life

What a joke. Now I heard something along the lines in the contract where it talks about these raises it says something that I can't make less than a person with the same 4 year progression in that current year so would I get a quarter raise then? I've yet to see the contract book and just started on here, guess I have some digging to try and do

Sent using BrownCafe App

What a joke. Now I heard something along the lines in the contract where it talks about these raises it says something that I can't make less than a person with the same 4 year progression in that current year so would I get a quarter raise then? I've yet to see the contract book and just started on here, guess I have some digging to try and do

Sent using BrownCafe App
Dude you are going to be making $33.79 an hour on September 1. That's two and a half months away. Quit over analyzing and start to figure out how you are going to invest the extra 12 bucks an hour. You might not what to hear that but in the long run if you do this you will thank me. I would try to lose the bitter attitude. All this does is zap you energy and as you get older you're going to need your energy.

UPS4Life

Dude you are going to be making $33.79 an hour on September 1. That's two and a half months away. Quit over analyzing and start to figure out how you are going to invest the extra 12 bucks an hour. You might not what to hear that but in the long run if you do this you will thank me. I would try to lose the bitter attitude. All this does is zap you energy and as you get older you're going to need your energy.
I understand what I'll be making but it's the point the union and ups agreed upon this and ups dropped the ball if I don't get a retro check now and I owe almost 1500. It's stupid to give somebody a raise for a month or even a week based off their seniority date then take it back. Don't get me wrong I love my job been with the company just over 5 years and this is something that makes me sour. At the end of the day if this is my biggest complaint I'm doing pretty good. I'm just fighting for what I think should be mine based on what they agreed upon.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Socrates

Agreed.....but some people just don't get it. They just assume everyone is like them, and spends all their money on clothes, and going out to eat, or whatever else they spend it on. Some of us have families to support, charities/causes we like to donate money/time to, need extra days off/vacation to rest, would like a Req Off instead of forcing ourselves to work on a bad allergy day, etc. When the company puts money in your pocket - then takes it right back out - it upsets that work/play balance.

The company pays us well, and gives us so many benefits/vacation weeks, with the understanding that most of us will actually USE all of that stuff (not just cash it out at the end of the year), so we can be happier, healthier, safer, and ultimately, more productive.

UPS got their 4 year progression they were pushing for, and the progression has been pushed back for multiple consecutive contracts. So why do they have to be dicks about this to all us <3's? I don't get it either.

Chelcee Ramone

I just became a driver last October so I am marketing 18.75. When my year hits next October what will I be making? Also do I get a raise in august? Do I get option days in august also?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Start $18.75Seniority. $18.75Twelve (12) months$19.50
Twenty-four (24) months $21
Thirty-six (36) months $25$
Forty-eight (48) months Top Rate

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Thanks in advance,

UPS4Life
The GWI (.70) has nothing to do with the progression rate. If your seniority date is prior to Aug 1 2013, you get both GWI and progression.

UPS4Life

The GWI (.70) has nothing to do with the progression rate. If your seniority date is prior to Aug 1 2013, you get both GWI and progression.
Correct, only until your seniority date then you go back to your 3 year progression rate until aug 1st then you get another .70$ if you can prove this wrong and point me In a better direction or somewhere that people are actually making decisions because as of now I owe over 1300$

Sent using BrownCafe App

scisector9

What ever became of the guys who were going for seniority on August 1 2013? Example I have seniority date of July 13 2013 but got my 1.20 attain seniority raise September 2013. I ask because I am in 710 and we haven't settled our contract yet and I'm expecting language to be identical to national. Steward here unsure. Ultimately will I get retro pay or not? Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Correct, only until your seniority date then you go back to your 3 year progression rate until aug 1st then you get another .70$ if you can prove this wrong and point me In a better direction or somewhere that people are actually making decisions because as of now I owe over 1300$

Sent using BrownCafe App
You do not lose the .70 just because you gain seniority. Article 41 Section 1 "All full time employees who have attained seniority as of Aug 1 2013 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year"

Like I said the GWI has nothing to do with progression.
Example 1: seniority date July 2012 1 year July 2013 $18.45 Aug 1 $20.15

Example 2: Seniority date Sept 2012 In Aug 1 2013 you go from $17.25 to $17.95 Sept 2013 $18.45

UPS4Life

You do not lose the .70 just because you gain seniority. Article 41 Section 1 "All full time employees who have attained seniority as of Aug 1 2013 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year"

Like I said the GWI has nothing to do with progression.
Example 1: seniority date July 2012 1 year July 2013 $18.45 Aug 1 $20.15

Example 2: Seniority date Sept 2012 In Aug 1 2013 you go from $17.25 to $17.95 Sept 2013 $18.45
I agree with that my sup agrees with that but who ever is making the calls is saying other wise I was making 18.45 aug first hit I got 19.15 until October my seniority date I bumped up to 20.75 not 21.45 have to pay back because I got a retro from aug 1st-April 27th so anything after October they want back 1300$+ but tell me I get a .70$ raise aug first putting me to 21.45 until I go top rate. Any more info you can give me is MUCH appreciated I don't agree with this at all but I fought it over the last month and a half and was told basically I'm screwed

Sent using BrownCafe App