Driver School Class

tincupjr

I'm attending Driving School class on Monday. My Instructor said it was important to learn the DOKs. I have been hard at it for several days but still have not mastered it 100%. If I do not pass the test first thing Monday, as he said we would be tested on it then, will I have a chance to re-take after we have completed class? I assume that these are points we will learn in class as well. Is this true? Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

tincupjr

Decided I am going to contact my Instructor tomorrow and resign from going to class. Cannot memorize the DOKs no matter what I try. Was always hard in school and college to. Always took more time than others with respect to this. Will be best not to waste time or their money.

My thanks to all of you who helped guide me. Have not started to work for company as of the moment so it will be easy to stop this problem from occurring.

My thanks again to those who tried to help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DO NOT CALL YOUR INSTRUCTOR!!!!!

You have a full day today to review and try to memorize the material. Yes, you will be tested on Monday, but I believe that you will be able to try again before the end of the week if you fail tomorrow.

Don't worry about wasting their time and/or money. The DOK is just part of the overall curriculum.

Good luck.

Z

ZQXC

Decided I am going to contact my Instructor tomorrow and resign from going to class. Cannot memorize the DOKs no matter what I try. Was always hard in school and college to. Always took more time than others with respect to this. Will be best not to waste time or their money.

My thanks to all of you who helped guide me. Have not started to work for company as of the moment so it will be easy to stop this problem from occurring.

My thanks again to those who tried to help.

I really don't mean for this to sound brutal, but, if you give up that easily you never would have made it as a driver anyway.

tincupjr

Just goes to show there are ignorant folks in this world. Such responses calling things pathetic. We are human. Each of us have talents, strengths and weaknesses. I do know that going through high school and college was tough. While some folks had it easy and could play and still pass, I had to be one of the ones to actually break open the books and study hard for each passing grade. I have given it everything I know to try to memorize some of these antiquated ideas. While important, I understand.

Still, I am proud to have my Bachelors in Business Administration and PreLaw. I worked hard for it.

I hope those of you calling people pathetic for not being able to learn quickly will always have it easy in life and continue to look down on those of us who struggle. It just re-emphasizes that there are good people and terrible people. You Sir, tipped you're hat to the class you are in. Your the reason life is hard for millions of people. Judge, jury and executioner. Wait, your from NY... Enough said.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You have a Bachelors in Business Administration yet you want to self DQ because you can't memorize the information on a single piece of paper?

How did you study for mid terms or finals? Apply that same technique to the DOK.

tincupjr

When you had mid-terms and exams, you knew when they were and you can prepare. To give someone a piece of paper and say memorize all of these items in 3 days is tough for me. My girlfriend can remember something immediately. I did not get that gift. Thanks anyway. Just don't want to waste their time and expense only to be told pack up. Such a waste. Thanks.

When you had mid-terms and exams, you knew when they were and you can prepare. To give someone a piece of paper and say memorize all of these items in 3 days is tough for me. My girlfriend can remember something immediately. I did not get that gift. Thanks anyway. Just don't want to waste their time and expense only to be told pack up. Such a waste. Thanks.
Learn It one peice at a time. Do not try to learn the whole thing,all at once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Look, I am being hard on you because I see the potential that you have to be a valued employee. You are obviously someone who can be trained----you have a college degree---all you need is the proper motivation. You mentioned you had a girlfriend. Wouldn't you like to be able to take her to a nice restaurant or on a nice vacation? Working at UPS will provide you with the means to do those things. If, by chance, the GF becomes Mrs. Cup, UPS will also provide you with the means to take care of her and your growing family, now and after you are gone.

Don't worry about the time and expense. The class will be held, the food provided and rooms paid for whether you go or not.

Are you and your GF going to watch any football today? That would be a perfect time for you to review and for her to quiz you on the material.

The DOK is not that hard----it is all pretty much common sense stuff.

Do you really want to walk away from this opportunity because it was "too hard"?

tincupjr

You are right. No. I do not want to walk away. Been studying again for 2 hours already. Guess my patience is testing me in my old age. Thanks for the insight. Just when I think I have something, I forget the verbiage associated with one of the items. Will stay on it. Thanks.

tincupjr

Look, I am being hard on you because I see the potential that you have to be a valued employee. You are obviously someone who can be trained----you have a college degree---all you need is the proper motivation. You mentioned you had a girlfriend. Wouldn't you like to be able to take her to a nice restaurant or on a nice vacation? Working at UPS will provide you with the means to do those things. If, by chance, the GF becomes Mrs. Cup, UPS will also provide you with the means to take care of her and your growing family, now and after you are gone.

Don't worry about the time and expense. The class will be held, the food provided and rooms paid for whether you go or not.

Are you and your GF going to watch any football today? That would be a perfect time for you to review and for her to quiz you on the material.

The DOK is not that hard----it is all pretty much common sense stuff.

Do you really want to walk away from this opportunity because it was "too hard"?

I have about 80% of it down. When I take the test in the morning and score this much, is it pack your bags then or will they teach some more of this in class or will I be able to take it again at the end of class? Depending on your answer I will keep studying tonight after my 1 hour drive to get to the hotel. My frustration grows and then mind blocks. Again thank you for your help

Z

ZQXC

like Gumby said, learn it in blocks. Use acronyms to help you!
When you get to the training site, get with another student and work together. We need good employees.

This advice prob comes much too late for the OP, tincupjr, but perhaps it will help others currently in training... I highly recommend the app called "Quizlet." It's a flashcard based learning app. When you open the app, do a search for "UPS... " and you will find all the info you need to know to pass... with 100% score like I did ;-). The app will even read the Q&A's aloud - great for practicing while driving. (FYI - In our training, you were allowed to fail horribly at the beginning as long as you were up to 90% by the end of the week.)