Driver shot and robbed.

overflowed

Sorry this happened to a guy just doing his job. Sorry to the ups fam. I walk my dog about 8pm for her last walk. I always see the ups dude in my neighborhood still rolling around. I always think "what the hell is he still doing out way past dark?" :censored2:s not safe.

twoweeled

I didn't notice if the time the driver was out there was mentioned.
What usually happens, is management uses this as an opportunity to institute some new BS policy in that area, to help keep us safe. Just watch! No shame. I'll bet money on it.

twoweeled

Management will probably be telling drivers in the next PCM (if you still have them). while your safely holding the big package, safely stepping down, holding on the the rail, while you grab your board, preparing and stepping through your board, walking the 3.5 steps per second, scanning for signs of life, scanning for a safe place to place the package, searching for a safe walk path avoiding obstacles on the floor, obstacles above your head, and to your sides, moving all items to one arm so you can knock with the now free arm, while yelling UPS. NOW add - You can now spin around on your heel every 8 feet like a ballerina and scan areas behind you, to the side of you, walking towards you, or driving suspiciously in the immediate area. If you do it correctly, it shouldn't add any time to your day. If done incorrectly, it may even improve your day!
Tell me this isn't exactly the type of stuff UPS comes up with! :D

Marcell

Okay I've got a question for everyone. what is the optimum ideal situation? What I mean is the drivers will have different issues and sometimes solutions don't sync. So what are the ideal parameters concerning time all drivers should be in the bldg? When a truck is truly over dispatched, the driver did his part, not dragging and taking extra break time, not running like a stallion, running the load as fast as possible while utilizing all safety tips and accurate pkg pu and delv. If he is over dispatched do we send another drv from adj area to help with stops or to get that driver's pu pkgs and leave him to finish alone? At peak even the very poor or very dangerous areas blow up with deliveries in residential areas. What's the solution? I have had drv out as late as 11pm at peak. Never an incident yet but I'm not answering my door at that hour with a smile on my face. When considering last year we bulked up on seasonal drivers that we didn't need and are still dealing with labor issues over that so that's no good. What parameters need to be established to ensure driver safety both from injury or crime but still delv all the packages that arive in the center for delv that day? That is the exact question I guess.

twoweeled

Okay I've got a question for everyone. what is the optimum ideal situation? What I mean is the drivers will have different issues and sometimes solutions don't sync. So what are the ideal parameters concerning time all drivers should be in the bldg? When a truck is truly over dispatched, the driver did his part, not dragging and taking extra break time, not running like a stallion, running the load as fast as possible while utilizing all safety tips and accurate pkg pu and delv. If he is over dispatched do we send another drv from adj area to help with stops or to get that driver's pu pkgs and leave him to finish alone? At peak even the very poor or very dangerous areas blow up with deliveries in residential areas. What's the solution? I have had drv out as late as 11pm at peak. Never an incident yet but I'm not answering my door at that hour with a smile on my face. When considering last year we bulked up on seasonal drivers that we didn't need and are still dealing with labor issues over that so that's no good. What parameters need to be established to ensure driver safety both from injury or crime but still delv all the packages that arive in the center for delv that day? That is the exact question I guess.
My opinion. The driver has to have the right to leave an area he deems unsafe (after notifying management). The sole right, not open to any type of disciplinary action, because management feels it is safe. Management has the right to keep that driver working, but in a safe area. The driver leaving the unsafe area, has no right to further work if he bid on that route (punches out, unless needed). Other drivers would be offered the option to make those deliveries according to seniority. I'm thinking night time should be an issue to accompany a hazardous area. Management having to deal with (valid) returning drivers at night, would automatically take care of the over dispatching problem over time. I'm sure there are areas that management and drivers can agree easily fit into this problem. The big problem would be in those areas that are borderline.

10 point

Make adjustments to changing conditions.

Dispatch that area (if at all now) to be delivered in the morning thru early afternoon and it'll be safer plus more consignees will be home (sleeping) to get signatures.

IF the company truly cares.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Make adjustments to changing conditions.

Dispatch that area (if at all now) to be delivered in the morning thru early afternoon and it'll be safer plus more consignees will be home (sleeping) to get signatures.

IF the company truly cares.
This. ^^^^^^^^
At peak 830 should be the last stop. Rest of year 730. We look ridiculous being out there at 9pm.

10 point

It really hurts me when people bitch just to bitch sorry I did not provide you with something real substance.
One wintery night I carried four cases of food supplement up an outside rickety, ice covered wood staircase to an apartment for a customer that I presumed was in poor health.

When I knocked on their door I announced "UPS delivery" and a cheerful male voice said "just a minute".
Suddenly the door opened and the guy stuck a 10" knife right at my nose!
Man, was I angry. I said "Really?"
He said "Oh, it IS UPS!"

People in some areas are scared to open their doors at night without a weapon. Why are delivering those areas after dark?!
Answer:#1. Stops per car.
#2. Routes cut in center
#3. Stock price more valuable than employee's safety.

twoweeled

I'd also like to add, there is a bit of reference to "peak". The fact that it is, peak or not, should not matter. At peak, we should just make further adjustments as needed. Why is it, every year at peak, management acts like this is the first year we've experienced peak? We don't accept drivers going in the hole during peak, because they are working longer days. We don't accept accidents because it's peak and they are working longer days. We don't accept chucking packages because of longer, and tired drivers. We also shouldn't make excuses for a lacking concern for a person's safety, because it's peak. The sad truth is, I think the majority of us know, safety really isn't of much importance. It's the liability of injury that is of concern. Sad truth.

Last edited:

OPTION3

The sad truth is, I think the majority of us know, safety really isn't of much importance..
To some corner cutting drivers, and most managers, YES. To me, it is of paramount importance.....screw UPS's numbers- at -the -cost -of-my-safety attitude....I'm going home safe(late maybe) but safe nonetheless!

twoweeled

To some corner cutting drivers, and most managers, YES. To me, it is of paramount importance.....screw UPS's numbers- at -the -cost -of-my-safety attitude....I'm going home safe(late maybe) but safe nonetheless!
That is the correct attitude. But the reality is, your in the minority. How many drivers do you see working off the clock? lifting incorrectly? jogging? Running? Jumping to into the car? skipping Breaks? skipping lunch? Speeding? parking incorrectly? jumping unsafely out of the drivers steps? I'm with you, but we both know everyone else is running scared and afraid to admit it.
When these guys get hurt, screw your numbers! You've must screwed the center's safety numbers! Reality.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont think it looks professional to have people dog tired on ice cold days knocking on doors at 8pm, or 90 degree days either. it is not professional to have people out after 730/8ish most of the yr, at peak I would stretch it some. Seems like a professional company would plan better. Christmas is always on the 25th, no matter what, no matter when. We have already been forced to work on one of our paid holidays to "keep up" What is next?

OPTION3

I dont think it looks professional to have people dog tired on ice cold days knocking on doors at 8pm, or 90 degree days either. it is not professional to have people out after 730/8ish most of the yr, at peak I would stretch it some. Seems like a professional company would plan better. Christmas is always on the 25th, no matter what, no matter when. We have already been forced to work on one of our paid holidays to "keep up" What is next?
They didn't force me....haha

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We weren't "forced" to work Black Friday to TTKU.

We worked Black Friday to kiss Amazon's butt.
It is a scheduled day of work here. And I thought everywhere. Now those with enough seniority , wouldnt be forced possibly, but if you dont you are scheduled to work.