Driver shot in Brooklyn

Barack Odrama

A driver from my center was shot yesterday while delivering on a very busy road.Thank God he is ok.I guess we are no longer safe anywhere.Here is the link to the news story:
http://wcbstv.com/local/ups.employee.shot.2.828487.html
damn..i live in brooklyn...i have an interview at 6pm today..on 43rd though..are you guys hiring package handlers on foster?...i never see any job openings for the brooklyn locations..i hope the driver is ok.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
damn..i live in brooklyn...i have an interview at 6pm today..on 43rd though..are you guys hiring package handlers on foster?...i never see any job openings for the brooklyn locations..i hope the driver is ok.
Yes,they are always hiring.They do walk thru's at 5 or 6 am on Wednesday's I think.You should just go down and ask to see someone in HR.

looper804

I would go there during the afternoon and ask to see HR.Let them know you are looking for work.I don't know their phone #.

evilleace

Wow that is three in the last month that have been shot, I am really sorry to hear that and will be praying for him and his family.

Mike Hawk

This is a disturbing trend, seems there is a UPS driver shot every week. Good to see it was not life threatening, I hope he makes a full recovery. Being worried about getting shot is one more stress that drivers don't need. I noticed FedEx trucks have a sign that says "no cash on board" above the door, maybe we should try those.

Ms.PacMan

This is a disturbing trend, seems there is a UPS driver shot every week. Good to see it was not life threatening, I hope he makes a full recovery. Being worried about getting shot is one more stress that drivers don't need. I noticed FedEx trucks have a sign that says "no cash on board" above the door, maybe we should try those.

I was thinking the same thing about the no cash on board signs. If New York can afford to put those red Think Safety flags on all their cars then a no cash on board sticker should be doable.

Hopefully mgmt is responding to the news coverage and getting out the word on the news and in print that drivers do not carry cash after each incident.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was thinking the same thing about the no cash on board signs. If New York can afford to put those red Think Safety flags on all their cars then a no cash on board sticker should be doable.

Hopefully mgmt is responding to the news coverage and getting out the word on the news and in print that drivers do not carry cash after each incident.

What "red Think Safety flags" are you talking about?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I felt much safer when I carried cash. The bad guys dont believe a sign, and dont know we dont have cash. I coulda given them 4k or so back then, now I might have a few bucks. They are less likely to hurt you if you leave them happy. It is a disturbing trend, and if you live in happy little suburbia, you are at risk. Watch your surroundings. If you dont feel safe, take it back to the center. Give them your truck, your wallet, whatever they want. I would even give them directions and my uniform so they could get away. Ill try and teach them the 10 pt commentary and all good kids like milk if they will listen. But be safe, and as we come upon peak with darkness at 5pm, and the economy the way it is, I think and hope Im wrong, it will get worse.
Im glad the driver is fine physically, I wonder how he is mentally, we as a company sometimes forget to ask that question.

Ms.PacMan

Went to NYC for vaca last year and this year and every truck had a red nylon banner/flag hanging on the top rear (where the preload charts used to hang) that says Think Safety in black letters. I assumed it was so people noticed the truck and didn't slam into the back of the them while they were parked.

We were in all the burroughs but I really don't remember if they also had the red signs - but I think they did.

I actually talked to a bunch of Brooklyn drivers taking lunch on the boardwalk at Coney Island - any of you post here?

drewed

Shankman

Hey looper I hope your friend makes a full recovery, and keep an eye out the times are a changing.

I dont mean to hate on BO, but does anyone else think this wasnt the thread to ask about employment?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I went to the City to visit mom over the summer. Mom's had a stroke so pray for her please. She's in bad shape right now and getting worse. Sorry for the downer stuff, just saying. Anyways, when I lived in NYC I was shot in the neck, does that count as a UPS guy getting shot???:happy2:

looper804

Went to NYC for vaca last year and this year and every truck had a red nylon banner/flag hanging on the top rear (where the preload charts used to hang) that says Think Safety in black letters. I assumed it was so people noticed the truck and didn't slam into the back of the them while they were parked.

We were in all the burroughs but I really don't remember if they also had the red signs - but I think they did.

I actually talked to a bunch of Brooklyn drivers taking lunch on the boardwalk at Coney Island - any of you post here?

Yes,that is why the signs are there.We tried using cones but either we kept for getting them or someone would take them.I don't eat at the boardwalk but I know all those guys and the driver that got shot is from the same center.