Driver side door?

U

uber

Do you keep it open during hot days? I have this big fear of being t-boned (not my fault obviously) and being paralyzed because there's no metal between me and another car.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That door isn't going to protect you from a car hitting you on that side. You sit up higher than the car anyways. I leave mine open 9-10 months out of the year, the right side stays open just about every day of the year.

I'm actually kind of surprised UPS hasn't made it a rule to keep it closed at all times. It seems like that would be a safety issue. I wonder if any driver has ever been injured or worse by having either of the doors open while driving. If not, I'm sure if it ever happens, there will be a new rule saying doors must be closed whenever vehicle is in motion.

But hey, from their perspective, they're saving money by not paying us to open and close the door upon entering and exiting the vehicle, not to mention all the ACs they'd have to install if we were forced to keep them closed.

I always thought it was strange that we have to keep bulkhead door closed while driving. That seems like a huge waste of time. I'm guessing there has probably been at least one injury caused by flying parcels.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The real question is if we aren't supposed to enter or exit the driver side door, why is there a hand grip installed on the frame?

yeldarb

I am sure if they made a rule about havin it closed, that would open a can of worms they don't want or need. Starting with ac.

jaker

trolling
I love driving with my doors open , if we had to start closing them on hot days we would all be dead

I have a jeep and don't drive it with the doors on , doesn't bother me one bit ( but I am used to it ) took the wife awhile to get used to it but now she likes it

iowa boy

The real question is if we aren't supposed to enter or exit the driver side door, why is there a hand grip installed on the frame?

Never heard this before. I use the drivers door every day for anything on the drivers side of truck. Just have to make sure you don't jump out when a car is coming.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm actually kind of surprised UPS hasn't made it a rule to keep it closed at all times. It seems like that would be a safety issue. I wonder if any driver has ever been injured or worse by having either of the doors open while driving. If not, I'm sure if it ever happens, there will be a new rule saying doors must be closed whenever vehicle is in motion.

But hey, from their perspective, they're saving money by not paying us to open and close the door upon entering and exiting the vehicle, not to mention all the ACs they'd have to install if we were forced to keep them closed.

I always thought it was strange that we have to keep bulkhead door closed while driving. That seems like a huge waste of time. I'm guessing there has probably been at least one injury caused by flying parcels.

Soon as that happens we will be getting A/C.

​Ps. We aren't getting A/C.

and after my accident I realized why we keep the bulkhead door open.

Nazzrath

I drive a Sprinter and would kill to have sliding doors. It gets hot as heck in the cab even with the windows down. The air vents only blow warm air so I bought a fan to plug into the DC outlet and shove my face into it every so often.

Buck Fifty

I keep mine open, way to much work closing it. My wife hates the fact that i keep my window cracked (in personal car) by habit, just to hear the sound that makes me money !

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I believe opening the drivers door at fedex is a big nono and can get them fired if someone sees them...im talking about the express guys

HomeDelivery

cruising to the service area & dead-heading it back to base; it depends if there's traffic or not

this time of year; mostly open if the time between stops is less than 2 minutes apart

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You have to have it open in order to see, due to water stains on the glass!

​Anyway, once it gets hot you'll have it open!