Driver swarmed by bees,faulted for the injury

anonymous4

Seems like a good way to bring more angst against their management team. How demoralizing is it to know that whatever happens it is your fault? Bad policy for the future but this is what happens... in "The Machine".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yet more affirmation of the importance of not taking any of UPS's "safety programs" seriously.

The only thing that really matters here is that the driver is OK and he will not face any sort of disciplinary action. Whether or not some idiot in a suit decides to "charge" him for the injury is irrelevant. There will be paperwork, lectures, an OJS, and probably an hour or so reciting commentaries and regurgitating acronyms, but other than that nothing will change.

Yellowjackets are nasty critters. Unlike bees, they can sting you over and over and they are very aggressive. I have gotten stung twice already this year, once while I was going down the road at 55 MPH. Scary!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I've heard of a driver getting mugged, then right away management fired them right away. Its like they want to stay away from any more problems down the road, yet... seems like they often create them moreso.

I like this company for its retarded attempt to clean themselves up at the get go, ends up bitting them in the ass later anyways. I see it as they ask for more punishment then less.

stink219

A driver in our center who delivers in a very rural area ran over a yellow jackets nest while making a delivery( This strain of wasp nests in the ground,and cannot be seen unless you are right on top of the entrance ) he was stung dozens of times resulting in a trip to the Emergency Room.The Safety Manager decided the driver was at fault for the injury because he..............................wait for it.............................Didn't Expect the Unexpected. I am asking the safety committee to have the company purchase Bee Suits for all of the drivers so that we can be prepared for the unexpected
can you do me a favor and show your safety manager this message?
Dear SM,
I'm speaking to you in the capacity of steward. That being said, you have absolutely zero authority to dictate fault in regard to any and all injuries. You may only project opinion of avoidable or unavoidable to a specific injury for the company's perspective. This is only a strategy to deflect an employee from filing a workman's comp claim. I'll remind you that disciplining workers for reporting work injuries or illnesses is a violation and is not allowed since the law protects workers for exercising their OSHA rights. Thank you for your time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

can you do me a favor and show your safety manager this message?
Dear SM,
I'm speaking to you in the capacity of steward. That being said, you have absolutely zero authority to dictate fault in regard to any and all injuries. You may only project opinion of avoidable or unavoidable to a specific injury for the company's perspective. This is only a strategy to deflect an employee from filing a workman's comp claim. I'll remind you that disciplining workers for reporting work injuries or illnesses is a violation and is not allowed since the law protects workers for exercising their OSHA rights. Thank you for your time.

I am sure his center has stewards capable of doing their jobs just as effectively as you seem to feel that you do yours.

packageguy

A driver in our center who delivers in a very rural area ran over a yellow jackets nest while making a delivery( This strain of wasp nests in the ground,and cannot be seen unless you are right on top of the entrance ) he was stung dozens of times resulting in a trip to the Emergency Room.The Safety Manager decided the driver was at fault for the injury because he..............................wait for it.............................Didn't Expect the Unexpected. I am asking the safety committee to have the company purchase Bee Suits for all of the drivers so that we can be prepared for the unexpected

It goes to show you, can't make this stuff up. That safety committee should not do anything else. Close it down till they do right period

I

IslandGirl

Wasp stings are nasty!..glad everyone who has ever been bitten..(they can bite and sting)..is OK..we have a driver who is allergic to them..he has an epipen at the ready..know how to use it!..
On another subject..these 'safety guys"??..what the?..
There's been one in the centre last 2 days..dredging up things that happened 2-5 years(and more!)...ago..and advising drivers they will be followed to correct these old mistakes...really?..things that happened over 5 years ago?..and he's just getting around to it now?..I told one driver..try to ignore this guy..he has nothing to do..and is creating work for himself,if he has to dredge up items from years ago..

thessalonian13

Yet more affirmation of the importance of not taking any of UPS's "safety programs" seriously.

The only thing that really matters here is that the driver is OK and he will not face any sort of disciplinary action. Whether or not some idiot in a suit decides to "charge" him for the injury is irrelevant. There will be paperwork, lectures, an OJS, and probably an hour or so reciting commentaries and regurgitating acronyms, but other than that nothing will change.

Yellowjackets are nasty critters. Unlike bees, they can sting you over and over and they are very aggressive. I have gotten stung twice already this year, once while I was going down the road at 55 MPH. Scary!
You are missing the point!!! Why should there be paperwork, lectures and OJS and all that other crap management makes us recite. Idiot suits should not be allowed to act this way!!! There should be some consequences to their dumb decisions.

Nimnim

The Nim
They seemed fine, they continued working after a bit.

Worst part though is the night before they took a blow to the head from a small package falling off the top of the wall while on their loadstand that busted open their head. If they had to get medical treatment it obviously wasn't severe enough to keep them from working the next day.

2 days of mishaps, I made sure their FT asked them if they wanted to take a day or two off. I fear what could happen the 3rd day.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had an unloader attacked by fire ants last night.

I can only imagine how that accident report was written up.

How does an unloader get attacked by fire ants? Was a package covered with them? My wife once sat down on a fireant hill (not for long) but I can't picture how an unloader came into contact with them. Being from the north I know absolutely nothing about fireant behavior except that they have one hell of a bite and they are abundant in Texas.

M

MenInBrown

We had a driver get stung on his eye under his shades and was charge for an injury...now he is a supervisor! ;)

Packmule

Did they charge him with an accident because he might have killed a bee? Thank goodness for our CHSP quotes: None of us should ever again have anything happen!!!LOL