Driver terminated using gps info

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
TR

I never stated that you said it was OK to deliver one late, sorry if that is the way you took it.

Bottom line is this. You work as directed, and when instructed to deliver your NDA on time, you do your best, not delivering ground until the air is off if you are pushing it. Never ever falsify records. Not for yourself, not for your sup, and not for the company. It will bite you in the end.

d

BTW, it is hard to start the day honest when the sups in the building while you are loading the air tell you to only have 5 minutes inside time. That is they are instructing you to falsify your time card saying you left the building at 8:55 instead of the 9:45 that you actually left the building. Happens every day, and while I never followed the instructions, I never got in trouble either for falsifying records.

TR

I never stated that you said it was OK to deliver one late, sorry if that is the way you took it.

Bottom line is this. You work as directed, and when instructed to deliver your NDA on time, you do your best, not delivering ground until the air is off if you are pushing it. Never ever falsify records. Not for yourself, not for your sup, and not for the company. It will bite you in the end.
Well, now that you put it that way....never mind..(said in my best attempt at the SNL church lady voice)

d

BTW, it is hard to start the day honest when the sups in the building while you are loading the air tell you to only have 5 minutes inside time. That is they are instructing you to falsify your time card saying you left the building at 8:55 instead of the 9:45 that you actually left the building. Happens every day, and while I never followed the instructions, I never got in trouble either for falsifying records.
In the past I have had problems with management over my "left bldg" time. Everyday as I start to pull out of the parking/loading space I punch the "time" button to reflect what time I actually leave the building. I have had three managers threaten to discipline my for this. I just tell them to have at it, then it will come out that I am being instructed to falsify company records. Never hear about it again.

FedexExEmployee

This mess is MrFedEx's fault. He had that audacity to suggest that there are similarities shared by both companies. Shame Shame everybody knows your name.

They are the same. Same job. Can't believe someone would try and glorify a delivery job, cause that's all it is.
It's barely a step above delivering newspapers. :wink2:

They are the same. Same job. Can't believe someone would try and glorify a delivery job, cause that's all it is.
It's barely a step above delivering newspapers. :wink2:

I would say the difference is around $60-70k a year.
Was it working for FedEx that took you sense of humor and ability to recognize satire? Or did you lose that after leaving the firm of FredEx?
Glorify a delivery job with UP$? you must not have read many of my past posts.

Please share with us , what do you do for a living now that you no longer deliver packages?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
You guys have gotten completely off the original subject here. No, I never falsify even when instructed, some do because they are afraid or don't realize they won't be backed up. Our responsibility is to educate all fellow employees.

Everybody seemed to miss my subtle main meaning, the statement made by my center manager about the newest gps technology. Be very careful of everything you do out there, sheeting packages while sitting, sheeting packages at lunch, sheeting packages at area other than stop. Driving off area without prior permission etc.

For example we are told to never sheet a business as not in or closed between 12 and 1, even known closed. They have a list of known closed such as beauty shops on mondays, dentists on fridays etc. But for some reason they are consistently loaded anyway. I stop if I don't find it and pull it before I leave, make sure they are closed, don't sheet if between 12 and 1, then go back after 1 and sheet and leave a note. It's a pain and adds time and miles, but it's the only honest thing to do to cya. If I were to sheet it later and not go back I would have to falsify leaving a notice as well as be caught sheeting at another position.

So be careful, follow all rules, report to superior if any management tells you to be dishonest, and above all educate your co-workers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly...the original subject has been sidetracked by the usual suspects and one new one.To say that there are no similarities between the two jobs (FedEx Courier and UPS Driver),or the issues of electronic falsification is simply ignorant. Sorry, but it's pretty much the same job with a different-colored truck. Yes, a UPS driver makes more and he/she also has the benefit of a union to keep management somewhat at bay, but the time pressures and basic job are very similar. A FedEx courier typically covers a much wider area than his UPS counterpart which evens such items as stop and package counts out. Add-in the fact that about 30 of my pick-up stops are on-call and it evens out even more. I have lunch with 2 UPS drivers at least twice a week, and when we compare notes the jobs match-up pretty closely. So, sorry, DannyBoy and TieGuy. Since you've never done my job you don't have a clue. Typical smug suits who remember how "it used to be" when they were on the road. How soon they forget the realities of being a driver when they clip-on that JC Penney tie.
The FedEx PowerPad and the UPS DIAD are very similar in their capabilities and issues, particularly the GPS/Falsification problem. Our management, which is unchecked in it's tyranny by the Teamsters, can do whatever it wants with GPS and it sounds like UPS management is starting to use GPS against drivers as well.
So, TieGuy and your brethren, do you still think this isn't a common issue between FedEx and UPS drivers? Perhaps as managers, you'd like to pretend so.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The GPS feature much like PAS is another technology that will eventually cost the company money because they trust the technology over your area knowledge. Miles are Money!

FedexExEmployee

I would say the difference is around $60-70k a year.
Was it working for FedEx that took you sense of humor and ability to recognize satire? Or did you lose that after leaving the firm of FredEx?
Glorify a delivery job with UP$? you must not have read many of my past posts.

Please share with us , what do you do for a living now that you no longer deliver packages?

As MrFedex pointed out, UPS pays more and they have a union. That's about the only major difference. Much like the difference between delivering packages for UPS or delivering newspapers. Once again, UPS pays more and they have a union. LOL

All kidding aside, it's the same job function and the same complaints. To try and deny that is being nothing less than silly and goofy. So stop it now! LOL

As for what I do now, I'm a teacher and certainly love the job security. At Fredex job security was a cruel fantasy LOL

pkg-king

I know it isn't right for a driver to be dishonest, but when your judge is 100% more dirty than you, it just seems to a bit unbalanced.
For future reference Shrimpfire is correct

Eventually the dishonest sups and center manager's get their's, they seem to get caught sooner or later.

tieguy

Banned
Exactly...the original subject has been sidetracked by the usual suspects and one new one.To say that there are no similarities between the two jobs (FedEx Courier and UPS Driver),or the issues of electronic falsification is simply ignorant. Sorry, but it's pretty much the same job with a different-colored truck. Yes, a UPS driver makes more and he/she also has the benefit of a union to keep management somewhat at bay, but the time pressures and basic job are very similar. A FedEx courier typically covers a much wider area than his UPS counterpart which evens such items as stop and package counts out. Add-in the fact that about 30 of my pick-up stops are on-call and it evens out even more. I have lunch with 2 UPS drivers at least twice a week, and when we compare notes the jobs match-up pretty closely. So, sorry, DannyBoy and TieGuy. Since you've never done my job you don't have a clue. Typical smug suits who remember how "it used to be" when they were on the road. How soon they forget the realities of being a driver when they clip-on that JC Penney tie.
The FedEx PowerPad and the UPS DIAD are very similar in their capabilities and issues, particularly the GPS/Falsification problem. Our management, which is unchecked in it's tyranny by the Teamsters, can do whatever it wants with GPS and it sounds like UPS management is starting to use GPS against drivers as well.
So, TieGuy and your brethren, do you still think this isn't a common issue between FedEx and UPS drivers? Perhaps as managers, you'd like to pretend so.

I guarantee most of my ups drivers will tell you that ups and fdx drivers definitely do not do the same job. And I think I can safely say that while the fdx delivery job may be barely above one of delivering newspapers I'm sure the ups delivery job is far above it.

Shall I now recieve another round of shots as your alter ego comes running to the defense of your postings?

FedexExEmployee

I guarantee most of my ups drivers will tell you that ups and fdx drivers definitely do not do the same job.

Here I am as promised :funny:

It's delivering and picking up packages now matter how you try to say otherwise.

Now, why don't you tell everyone how the job is not the same? We know there are minor differences, as with any job. What are the major differences that actually separate the two?

I already mentioned the pay and union.

Griff

What are the major differences that actually separate the two?

I already mentioned the pay and union.

I'd say those are two major, major differences. Just because we are represented by a union, doesn't mean we don't have to earn the difference in the pay gap. The company gets every last red cent out of its drivers. I'll go out on a limb here and say the package car operation at UPS is one of, if not the most heavily scrutinized jobs in the entire industry. Every body movement, every step, every mental decision, every turn, every stop, every back, every DR, every accident, every injury is scrutinized by a team of people on a daily basis and now is moving into the realm of being scrutinized in real time. The job itself in black and white terms is very similar, but the standards to which the job should be performed are quite literally worlds apart. Not to mention the fact UPS is being managed into the ground and the drivers have to pickup the slack in many areas that they shouldn't be responsible for. One of these areas is sales, UPS drivers are "required" to grow the business and submit sales leads.

You keep referencing that people are being "silly" and here you are trying to paint things with a 2 mile wide brush and stroke. The whole nonsense about a "delivery job is a delivery job" is rather ignorant. By your school of thought (using your own career as an example), a part-time music teacher working out of his home is the exact same thing as being a college professor. They both essentially are the same thing, they both teach professionally. Don't you find that analogy silly because I sure do. Nobody here is trying to glorify being a UPS driver, there is simply no glory in it. The reason UPS is the leader in the industry is expectations and standards, they are both higher than the field. Union or no union, there is more expected of you as a UPS driver. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, everything in life can be picked apart one way or another. Comparing someone who flings newspapers out of the moving window of a car to someone who is responsible for delivering things up to 149lbs is amazingly ignorant. The same way it would be stupid for me to claim that we do the same job as professional movers. You can't lump every single job together and string them along by the same general title, there are varying degrees of responsibility and expectations with every job.

Last edited:

pretzel_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkg-king
Eventually the dishonest sups and center manager's get their's, they seem to get caught sooner or later.

.....that's all well and good but how many peoples lives do they get to ruin before they get their's?

.....that's all well and good but how many peoples lives do they get to ruin before they get their's?

There is no doubt in my mind that a dihonest management person does more damage to employees, customers, and UPS' reputation than a dihonest hourly.

Therefore, I fully believe that any dishonest management person should be terminated. Period.

I assume that you'd also agree that a dishonest hourly should also be terminated?

P-Man

SmithBarney

Just how accurate is this GPS? I did the lat/long check by hitting 8 in the communication screen one day while waiting for late air. I then did it with another driver's DIAD, and the numbers were not even remotely close.

I believe the numbers are the last "stop complete" if DIADs were constantly sending
data over the cell networks on our locations the networks would probably crash.
I don't believe it to be as real time as some may lead you to believe.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One of the other great differences are the ratio of management to hourly.

Last I checked, each driver had to not only earn his keep through deliveries and pickups, but had to support .9 supervisors, 1.6 part time hourly, .4 misc hourly, and .1 misc management personel. So we are asked to do the work that picks up or delivers the revenue to support at least 3 people in addition to ourselves before UPS made a profit.

As far as the simularities go, why would fred reinvent the wheel, with his brown background?

d

d, you live the life I have 11 years to wait for. Just let me camp in your yard when I make my first trip to Bristol. BM

I just noticed the post. Instead of the yard next to the ponds and water falls, hows about you can use the extra bedroom, no charge. For the march race, no rain, and the fall race, air conditioning! Might as well live in comfort.

But then again, I do have 16 acres so you could bring a friend or two ;)

d

browndude

another big difference is that i deliver lots of packages with weight to them while the fedex truck has letters on it. also has anyone ever seen a fedex truck full? hell i have never even seen anything in the floor of them.

FedexExEmployee

Every body movement, every step, every mental decision, every turn, every stop, every back, every DR, every accident, every injury is scrutinized by a team of people on a daily basis and now is moving into the realm of being scrutinized in real time. The job itself in black and white terms is very similar, but the standards to which the job should be performed are quite literally worlds apart. Not to mention the fact UPS is being managed into the ground and the drivers have to pickup the slack in many areas that they shouldn't be responsible for. One of these areas is sales, UPS drivers are "required" to grow the business and submit sales leads.

You keep referencing that people are being "silly" and here you are trying to paint things with a 2 mile wide brush and stroke. The whole nonsense about a "delivery job is a delivery job" is rather ignorant. By your school of thought (using your own career as an example), a part-time music teacher working out of his home is the exact same thing as being a college professor. They both essentially are the same thing, they both teach professionally. Don't you find that analogy silly because I sure do. Nobody here is trying to glorify being a UPS driver, there is simply no glory in it. The reason UPS is the leader in the industry is expectations and standards, they are both higher than the field. Union or no union, there is more expected of you as a UPS driver. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, everything in life can be picked apart one way or another. Comparing someone who flings newspapers out of the moving window of a car to someone who is responsible for delivering things up to 149lbs is amazingly ignorant. The same way it would be stupid for me to claim that we do the same job as professional movers. You can't lump every single job together and string them along by the same general title, there are varying degrees of responsibility and expectations with every job.

Griff, what you stated in the first paragraph is what every Fredex courier goes through as well. From being micro-managed to having to create sales leads.

It is silly to think there is a big difference between the two.

I think I should have specified the position of courier, although I'm sure managers at both companies go through the same thing more or less as well.

You're using the analogy of a part-time music teacher and a college professor as if I specifically used the analogy of a part-time pick up courier and a tractor trailer driver.

I'm talking UPS courier / Fedex courier. It's the same job other than the pay and union. Being ignorant is trying to separate the two, while glorifying one. Give me a break.