Driver terminated using gps info

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
TieGuy is sadly ignorant because he assumes he knows how the jobs differ. Again, using your own illogical premise, you (TieGuy) are not qualified to speak on matters concerning FDX because you've never worked there. Someone else pointed-out that FedEx Express drivers only deliver letters, which is also dead wrong. Our weight limit is 150 lbs and every one of our industrial routes are full of 75 to 150 lb pkgs every day. FedEx Express Heavyweight Couriers will take anything that will fit in the truck that is pre-approved. The heaviest single item I've seen one of them deliver weighed 7,500 lbs. Routes that are primarily documents are rare these days but still exist.
The big difference is that every pkg in each of those trucks is AIR. That's why FedEx couriers have to return to their station at a definite time, which is usually right around 1800 on the West Coast. The tractor-trailer headed to the airport leaves exactly on-time, and anything that misses it goes on a shuttle truck.
Another difference is that about 60% of pickups at FedEx are on-call, meaning the customer can dictate exactly when they get picked-up. UPS has a much higher proportion of House Stops, so the driver pretty much hits his stops the same every day with much less variation.
We also cover much larger territories than UPS in most cases. The area I cover, for example, has 3 UPS drivers. I probably drive 3 times as far every day as well. Sorry, I work just as hard for less. I've also worked for your company, so I do have more of an insiders perspective than you might imagine. We scrutinize and micro-manage every aspect of our operation just like UPS. In some areas, it is managed even more tightly than UPS. As TieGuy is fond of saying, we DID copy nearly all of your methods and operations, so we operate almost exactly the same as you do.
I really want to get back to the original issue here, which is being fired with the aid of GPS technology. TieGuy and his supervisory pals would like to divert attention from the fact that management is mis-using GPS at both companies. Luckily, UPS drivers have a union that can intercede and probably put a stop to this nonsense. From the postings I've seen here it's very clear that management at both companies is stepping-up both the rhetoric and the threats surrounding GPS. We have to bend over and take it...you do not.

tieguy

Banned
TieGuy is sadly ign orant because he assumes he knows how the jobs differ. Again, using your own illogical premise, you (TieGuy) are not qualified to speak on matters concerning FDX

You and your alter ego are really making a sincere effort to start something here with me. I previously said that our drivers not me would disagree with your point and your alter ego's point that the courier job is the same job as the delivery job. Please try to quote me correctly.

tieguy

Banned
I guarantee most of my ups drivers will tell you that ups and fdx drivers definitely do not do the same job. And I think I can safely say that while the fdx delivery job may be barely above one of delivering newspapers I'm sure the ups delivery job is far above it.

here it is again.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You and your alter ego are really making a sincere effort to start something here with me. I previously said that our drivers not me would disagree with your point and your alter ego's point that the courier job is the same job as the delivery job. Please try to quote me correctly.
I never really agrre with tie on any issue, but i have to agree with him here. Tie is in management and the most out spoken sup on this site, while i am a pro-active ups teamster and we have bumped heads on more than one occasion. The one thing that we have in common is that we both work for ups unlike you fedexers! Tie and myself both want to see this company succeed, typically management at any cost and i believe that we should prosper but not at the cost of the members.

When you try to compare a ups package car position to a paper route you couldnt be farther from the truth. In all reality the average fedex driver couldnt hold my shorts let alone deliver my route in the same time. Lets not forget that we (ups drivers) do it all! From delivering ndas, 2days, grounds, internationals and in some parts of the country even early ams. Lets not forget that we also do pickups. Now how many fedex drivers would it take to do what i just did in about 8 to 10 hours?

This is a community for upsers to come, vent, discuss and see what is happening to other upsers around the country, so how did you fedexers stumble into our ups little world? And what do you bring to the table for us to discuss related to ups? Because frankly i dont care how its done at fedex!

UPS Lifer

As we know the gps is flawed. If the customer verifys that he was late delivering the package then I think he may be gone temporarily. I do believe that a written warning needs to take place so the driver can correct his/her behavior!

It could be grounds for immediate dismissal if there is a witness or a supervisor following the driver. It can be considered dishonesty. This is where the person's previous history comes into play.

I would think that if it can be proved; the driver could be separated but circumstances & personal history would dictate what type of discipline would be the final outcome.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Whatever.TieGuy started this by flaming away with his nonsense. I speak for myself, not my so-called alter ego. TieGuy is great at diverting people away from the intended subject of a given thread and then changing it around to suit his own self-important agenda. The original subject of this thread was GPS, and despite my trying to stick to it, TieGuy and Co. keep heading off on excursions to other destinations. His current tangent is bashing me and FedEx, which is pretty much what it always is. Sorry, but the GPS issue applies to both companies because they use similar technology and are handling falsification in a similar manner.
I know UPS drivers bust their asses every day, but so do we. And unlike TieGuy, I know I don't live in a glass house where I can sit on my BC throne throwing-out insults and "facts" that don't exist. I also don't have a cadre of synchronous drones that chime-in every time things get controversial.
The "Driver" and "Courier" jobs are very similar, just as the "Feeder" and "RTD" positions are much the same. Sure, there are differences, but they aren't nearly as great as most people think they are. Most personnel could easily make the transition from one company to the other without any problem at all.
I enjoy the debates here, and I can take the name-calling and bashing too. Plenty of UPSer's have PM'ed me that they actually like hearing from the other side as well. Whatever you think of me, the fact remains that FedEx Express is essentially a copy of UPS that focuses exclusively on air freight. The other divisions are different and are not organized so much along the lines of UPS.

tieguy

Banned
fdx is delusional. a review of this thread will show restraint on my part and an organized attack on the his part and his friend/other ID/ alter ego. My crime? asking him to comment on the morality of fdx and not ups.

Notice the long winded responses each time. I'm actually starting to feel like this guy and his friend are stalking me here.

Griff

Griff, what you stated in the first paragraph is what every Fredex courier goes through as well. From being micro-managed to having to create sales leads.

It is silly to think there is a big difference between the two.

I think I should have specified the position of courier, although I'm sure managers at both companies go through the same thing more or less as well.

You're using the analogy of a part-time music teacher and a college professor as if I specifically used the analogy of a part-time pick up courier and a tractor trailer driver.

I'm talking UPS courier / Fedex courier. It's the same job other than the pay and union. Being ignorant is trying to separate the two, while glorifying one. Give me a break.

They are the same. Same job. Can't believe someone would try and glorify a delivery job, cause that's all it is.
It's barely a step above delivering newspapers. :wink2:

You made several analogies in this thread and they are all equally absurd. Your views really aren't shared in my area by FedEx or DHL drivers considering while I'm at a dock in the morning they all need to pull their jaw off the dock floor when they look in the UPS truck. I have never, not even during peak, seen a blown out FedEx truck either Express or Ground. Like I said there's exceptions to every rule, but I've never seen one and I've seen quite a few fedex/dhl trucks over the years. There's no disputing the fact the jobs are very similar, but I still contend that UPS drivers have more expected of them and deservedly so.

Last edited:

FedexExEmployee

You made several analogies in this thread and they are all equally absurd. Your views really aren't shared in my area by FedEx or DHL drivers considering while I'm at a dock in the morning they all need to pull their jaw off the dock floor when they look in the UPS truck. I have never, not even during peak, seen a blown out FedEx truck either Express or Ground. Like I said there's exceptions to every rule, but I've never seen one and I've seen quite a few fedex/dhl trucks over the years. There's no disputing the fact the jobs are very similar, but I still contend that UPS drivers have more expected of them and deservedly so.

Sounds good to me Griff. At least your opinions, as far as I can tell, are honest and without bias unlike some others on here.
You made your points as did I. We disagree and I'll just leave it at that.
:happy2:

FedexExEmployee

I'm actually starting to feel like this guy and his friend are stalking me here.

Aaawwwww, now you're a victim?

As I said several times in the past, you dish it out but can't take it.
You just proved me right. Thanks.

As long as you try and jump all over someone for no reason at all, you'll receive the same in return. Promise.

Bullies will not be tolerated. :wink2:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

it does not change anything. GPS should show the driver doing the job the way he/she were trained. If so then there is no issue with language in the contract.

Correct, but management lies, period. Agree with it or not, partake or not, it happens. Therefore, it may or may not not matter what the individual does or does not do, yes?

PS another thread ruined by fed-ex versus UPS! Yippee..

Let's put it this way, if Fed Ex and UPS were so similar as some are led to believe, then how are profits the same too? How are the financials? Which operation is breaking the most ground in the industry? Which driver has the most daily duties? Most stops? Most customers?

The fed ex game is far more different than UPS than similar IMO. Although the types of labor are similar, and the diad, that's just about where it ends.

tieguy

Banned
Correct, but management lies, period. Agree with it or not, partake or not, it happens. Therefore, it may or may not not matter what the individual does or does not do, yes?

PS another thread ruined by fed-ex versus UPS! Yippee..

Sigh .......I tried. If you notice I only responded to mr. fdxex comments. even then I turned the other cheek to his endless flames. I have not responded to the other one in order to keeep the chaff down. I also started recieving Mrfdx's shots via private message. I then tried to put him on ignore since I could not get him to stop by my taking the high ground. But unfortunately Mrfdx has been made a moderator on this site and therefore has the power to keep me from ignoring him on this site. So let me again be the better man and congratulate him on being made a moderator here. Brown Cafe is obviously his world now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tie.... I see 8 mods. under the FedEx forums and only 7 mods. on the UPS discussion forum. I would think that it means Mr. Fedex only has mod-power over the FedEx forum and not the Ups part.

tieguy

Banned
Tie.... I see 8 mods. under the FedEx forums and only 7 mods. on the UPS discussion forum. I would think that it means Mr. Fedex only has mod-power over the FedEx forum and not the Ups part.

more,

I don't know. My only concern was I wanted to put him on ignore so I did not have to continue recieving his attacks via PM and I could not do it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, I moderate only on the FedEx Forums, not the UPS side, for obvious reasons. I did PM TieGuy to try and tone-down the flame war, and he typically has spun it so he would appear to be a victim. So please, be a martyr if you wish. I'm not going to be offering you any more olive branches. That said, how about getting back to the original thread, which is being terminated for falsification via GPS?.
I just heard through our grapevine that we terminated another person for falsification last week and that GPS was definitely used to prove his location was at a guard gate instead of the loading dock. However, this particular driver had been directed by management to enter a delay code AND also POD the pkg by entering the name of the receiver due to this customer's extensive security procedures, which can take up to 20 mins. First, this driver should not have been fired because he was acting on direct orders from management. Second, shouldn't the manager face some sort of discipline "up to and including termination"(our lingo) for breaching falsification protocol? The manager is still at work and is facing nothing in the way of sanctions.
We fired a local manager 2 years ago for telling his people to do the same thing, and now this driver is hung out to dry for simply following orders? I wouldn't have POD'ed the pkg until it was in the receiver's hands, but I know the policy well enough to protect myself.

tieguy

Banned
here is his our little PM exchange...

Re: Quotations
Originally Posted by MrFedEx
You are pretty much always the instigator. If you would review most of our "discussions" they would reveal a consistent pattern of disrespectful and mean-spirited posts on your part. As far as us being "newspaper" boys, you can take that up with my so-called alter ego..those are his words, not mine. And I can't gang-up on you like you and your buds do on me. I try and respect what UPS drivers do because I know it's a tough job....I see the same guys every day and eat with them a couple of times a week. Unlike you, they know I'm pedaling just as hard as they are.
I respect a good controversial discussion on issues, I don't respect your consistent attacks on me or what I do. I could(and did) drive circles around most of the people I worked with in the Feeder Dept and I would do just as well in Package Cars. Being a good UPS'er or FedEx'er isn't rocket science..it's just a willingness to work hard. Try and back-it off a notch or two.

Me - go back and read your posts.

him -Yeah, right. Read your own if you want to see something delusional.

me -you and your friend are obsessed with me. I have held remarkable restraint considering your attacks here.

him - Please. I don't conspire with my "friend" against you. You invite his attacks with your own hate speech. Back-off and he'll probably stop too. Let's try and keep it civil between you and me. I have no control over the other guy.

me - your obsessed with me. I'm not sure what you're problem is. I've been the model of constraint in this thread and taken numerous shots from you. I've even tried putting you on ignore but you're popping up as an admin. At this point I think I'm dealing with some kind of wacko. please get yourself some help.

him - I moderate the FedEx Forums. Get a life and take your meds. You have the problem.

read his responses and you can see his private messages have been anything but a peace making effort.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I stand by what I said. So much for TieGuy's integrity and the sanctity of PM's. Once again, can we please return to the topic?