Driver Terminated

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Over here in Spokane, a rollaway in the yard is forgivable, but outside of the yard, if it's due to negligence, your done.

browniehound

What is the driver's record prior to this? If it was a mechanical failure then there is nothing he could do about it. If it wasn't then its a serious issue.

I want to say everyone makes mistakes and give the driver a second chance. I also think roll-aways are about as bad as it gets for accidents in the workplace. The potential for serious damage, death and injury is just too great.

I've heard of 3 roll aways in my 10 years and all resulted in minor damage and no injuries by the mercy of GOD. All three drivers got their jobs back after a 3-day suspension.

I have to say though it makes me cringe when I think what could happen from a roll-away UPS truck. Children and playgrounds top my fear list.

Every driver I know has the habit of truck in lowest forward gear and park break on at every stop. I don't know any one who doesn't do this by pure force of habit.

Now, if UPS purchased trucks with automatic transmissions from day 1 like every other small package company in the universe their trucks would be less prone to roll-aways and would probably cut the roll-away number by 95%.

Instead UPS purchased trucks with no power steering and manual transmissions until the mid 1990s to save money I assume. By doing this they compromised safety to save a buck. The older trucks don't have a shoulder strap seat-belt??? This is the most basic of safety features that every vehicle now has and UPS still negelcts to equip their older vehicles with them.

Instead, UPS is now installing sensors in every vehicle that will notify the center if the truck is being driven with the bulk head door open, if the driver has his seatbelt on, and if he's in the seat while the engine is running.

I can't believe this. This is too much even by UPS's standards.

I am actually dumbfounded by this. UPS can't afford power-steering, automatic transmissions, and shoulder-strap seat-belts, but will pay to catch the 1-3% of us that refuse to wear their seatbelts???

How about spending that money on airbags for every new package car?

I didn't think so.:sick:

Brownie:dissapointed:

Apkg4u

We had a driver with a roll away, he got suspended, Should have been terminated with all the damage he caused. But in our building, usually they get fired and work under article 7, then a suspention which is usually at the centers disgrestion. Hope this helps...

Jeff

Indy135

he shouldnt be fired in my opinion....i know the package car drivers are always in a hurry, stuff happens, just an accident, but he should be disciplined cuz it could of had a very bad outcome

chev

Nightcrawler
I had a near rollaway with a set of doubles. It only rolled about 5 feet. Scared the crap out of me. Especially because I was between trailer 1 and 2 when it started rolling. Totally my fault. A rookie mistake my first year in feeders. I had put the set together on a bay door and totally forgot to pull the tractor brake. Since it was now hooked to the rear trailer which had no air charging its brakes, it would not move. When I went in between the trailers at the dolly and connected the air lines, all was still well. Then I turned the air on, thus charging the rear trailer. I nearly chit my shorts when the whole unit started rolling away with me in the middle. Thank God someone had given me sound advice about this very situation. Don't run for the tractor to apply the brake. You will likely be run over trying that. Instead, yank the red air line off the rear trailer or the dolly. It will immediately lock the brakes on the rear trailer. Needless to say I learned my lesson. Luckily no one got killed. Namely myself.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My kids were both pretty good with my car but neither seemed able to put gas in it.
LOL Upstate. That reminds me when I was in HS and would borrow my mom's car. If I didn't put gas in it she wouldn't let me use it the next time. She was fanatical about and there was no bargaining. I rarely ever forgot to put gas in and I learned to limit my activities to what I needed to do. I did drive in style though. She never owned anything other than a Cadi.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Chev glad you are still here to tell that story, quick thinking on killing red line!!! we had a guard killed up in Nor east in between a set years ago!!! it was ugly,was not drivers fault!!!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had an automatic roll away on me due mostly to mechanical failure(the shifter was broke and didnt click into park every time). I dont know about you, but my personal car is also an automatic and i've never had IT run away on me. Of course I was charged with the un-avoidable accident and am currently back on the preload awaiting a meeting to discuss re-instatement to my previous position. I know I could have avoided this accident, that said, it was still kind of a tough-luck situation. I'll do my time on the preload and i'll eventually get my job back...luckily the contract clearly states that no employee shall be made to repeat progression through any pay scale...meaning I will go right back to top rate when I get back on the road.RIght now i am struggling to get by on the meager earnings of a 5 year preloader. WHY DOES ANYBODY WORK THE PRELOAD IF THEY HAVE NO AMBITION TO BECOME A DRIVER OR ANY KIND OF FULL TIME EMPLOYEE??!! there are much easier ways to make 10.50 an hour! collecting cans might even net higher earnings depending on what state you reside in. If you collect them with that same 'sense of urgency' that is.

The drinking binge and diving head-first into an empty pool probably caused the roll-away

bluehdmc

I had a near rollaway with a set of doubles. It only rolled about 5 feet. Scared the crap out of me. Especially because I was between trailer 1 and 2 when it started rolling. Totally my fault. A rookie mistake my first year in feeders. I had put the set together on a bay door and totally forgot to pull the tractor brake. Since it was now hooked to the rear trailer which had no air charging its brakes, it would not move. When I went in between the trailers at the dolly and connected the air lines, all was still well. Then I turned the air on, thus charging the rear trailer. I nearly chit my shorts when the whole unit started rolling away with me in the middle. Thank God someone had given me sound advice about this very situation. Don't run for the tractor to apply the brake. You will likely be run over trying that. Instead, yank the red air line off the rear trailer or the dolly. It will immediately lock the brakes on the rear trailer. Needless to say I learned my lesson. Luckily no one got killed. Namely myself.

Now, I wonder if the person who gave you the "sound advice" was speaking from experience?