Driver Termination

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
A driver in our center was just fired , a 4 year employee.

Seems he DR'd packages, then delivered them to a relatives house instead. Then he & the relative sold the items on eBay.

I cannot wrap my head around how stupid someone would have to be to do this.

(We all knew something was up - $5,000 reward posters newly posted everywhere, loss-prevention won't let me go outside to smoke, etc.)

Anyone have anything that beats this in the stupidity department?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Seems he DR'd packages, then delivered them to a relatives house instead. Then he & the relative sold the items on eBay.

(We all knew something was up - $5,000 reward posters newly posted everywhere, loss-prevention won't let me go outside to smoke, etc.)

I was ready to reply that the union would get his job back but
Don't think so on this one.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Same center, 2-weeks before - a 20-year driver;

Was followed by management. For whatever reason, the division manager was also in the following vehicle. Driver stops for one of his deliveries, gets out of the PC.

center manager and DM see that driver left the bulkhead door open while he ran inside the building for the delivery, so they decide to confront the driver when he gets back to the PC. They walk up to the PC, and find the engine running. And the emergency brake not set. And the mirror out.

Driver comes walking back to the PC, and is confronted. The center manager yells that he left the engine running - the driver reaches in, turns off the key, takes the key out, & says "No, I didn't". Same thing with the bulkhead door, reaches in, closes it, says "No, I didn't". I swear I'm not making this up.

We thought maybe the guy was going senile.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

We had a guy get fired for adding 25 miles per day onto his odometer reading in order to inflate his planned day. He did this for weeks before he got caught.

Braveheart

Good, throw the book at him.

The union should not help this puke!

Bad Gas!

I hate to hear about the dishonesty...You can't bite the hand that feeds you...Packages are just cardboard...nothing we need..Just pushing that cardboard trying to get a blue check on Friday...

Braveheart

Same center, 2-weeks before - a 20-year driver;

Was followed by management. For whatever reason, the division manager was also in the following vehicle. Driver stops for one of his deliveries, gets out of the PC.

center manager and DM see that driver left the bulkhead door open while he ran inside the building for the delivery, so they decide to confront the driver when he gets back to the PC. They walk up to the PC, and find the engine running. And the emergency brake not set. And the mirror out.

Driver comes walking back to the PC, and is confronted. The center manager yells that he left the engine running - the driver reaches in, turns off the key, takes the key out, & says "No, I didn't". Same thing with the bulkhead door, reaches in, closes it, says "No, I didn't". I swear I'm not making this up.

We thought maybe the guy was going senile.
These drivers trying to run their routes off are finally being brought in line. Good.

We "average" drivers are always compared to these guys about production.

We had a runner known to do 200 stops per day get followed the other day.

All of the other drivers can not do more than 140-160 per day on that route.

He got caught putting his seat belt on as he was pulling away, leaving his bulkhead door open between stops, rolling stop signs, running, improperly caring boxes, not using his flashers, leaving the bulkhead door open when away from vehicle, etc etc etc

We have warned this guy that one day he would get caught.

He got fired.

Moral of the story.

Kissing ass only gives you bad breath.

Braveheart

We had a guy get fired for adding 25 miles per day onto his odometer reading in order to inflate his planned day. He did this for weeks before he got caught.
Good. Another thing I hate is selfish little pricks that will do anything to avoid helping other drivers who are actually overdispatched.

I took over a route from a guy who for some reason always had 20 more miles than me. Well no wonder he ran good numbers. They never investigated him.

They promoted him to on-road. Got to love UPS. He just drove around padding his miles to look good on paper.

Last edited:

City Driver

These drivers trying to run their routes off are finally being brought in line. Good.

We "average" drivers are always compared to these guys about production.

We had a runner known to do 200 stops per day get followed the other day.

All of the other drivers can not do more than 140-160 per day on that route.

He got caught putting his seat belt on as he was pulling away, leaving his bulkhead door open between stops, rolling stop signs, running, improperly caring boxes, not using his flashers, leaving the bulkhead door open when away from vehicle, etc etc etc

We have warned this guy that one day he would get caught.

He got fired.

Moral of the story.

Kissing ass only gives you bad breath.

ill never understand runners

putting your own safety and the safety of those around you, being more likely to have an accident or some kind of incident, and more likely to be disciplined for not following methods just to impress management?

is it really worth it to some people or what?

follow the methods and work at a steady, constant pace and you will be fine

i dont understand some people, you dont see any more money in your paycheck (unless yall get production bonuses over there)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, dumb, but.......
A driver delivers a bunch of pcs, gets sig at dock, reciever leaves, he throws one back in his truck. Wife meets him later on rte, takes the pc, never gets caught. Assuming he has a free pc, and it has problems after a yr, If I was a crook I would throw it away, no he calls for service, the pc shows up as stolen, driver is caught, no excuses would have fixed the serial number being the same as the stolen one from the driver who delivered it. Duh.

DS

Fenderbender
I've seen quite a few of these boneheads get canned over the years.
One guy would come in early and help unload cages for his loop putting boxes of high end jeans in his truck instead of the mall truck.He was meeting someone on road that would take them to his garage...how dumb do they think ups is?
Another Jamaican guy was sending nda letters back home for free.
Stupid.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Good, throw the book at him.

The union should not help this puke!

Depends upon what you mean by "help."

The union has a legal responsibility to represent this employee and make sure that the company is complying with the terms of the labor agreement when it terminates his employment.
Regardless of what he is charged with, the employee is still entitled to argue the merits of his case in a fair hearing with union representation. Failure to provide the employee with such representation would expose the union and its members to a lawsuit.
Obviously, if an employee is truly guilty of theft his employement should be terminated as well as facing criminal charges.

Ferrari_Tifoso

It amazes me how some people would risk so much to gain so little. Just yesterday a guy jumped the barbed wire fence in my center to avoid getting caught by loss prevention. The guards at the gate where supposed to detain him, but those guys are so weak and out of shape they couldn't catch a 5 year old on their best days. That thief will probably end up in a corner selling drugs since no other company will hire him after they check his employment record. Good choice, you just gave up a good paying job, with guaranteed raises every 6 months, plus medical benefits, for what? A cell phone, ipod... Whatever it was I'm sure it wasn't even close to being worth it.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
People always ask. "Don't you wonder whats in the boxes?" My reply has always been. "Its really not worth my job to wonder whats in the boxes."