Driver Told He Is Stealing If Drives 54 MPH in A 55 MPH Zone

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In regards to the 5 keys, which many seem to think contradict urging a driver to go faster than speed limit, note that neither the 5 keys/10 pt commentary nor original Smith's Driving System says anything about speed. If everyone is going 80 mph you will find it quite simple to maintain a 6-8 sec cushion, provided you are close to 80. Actually experienced something like this outside Toronto once; scared my pop, who while he drives fast, wasn't used to driving that fast.

Having said all this, of course I can't speak directly to the driver-in-question's motive, however I can look at the evidence. Without going all into detail, would I be far off in saying this driver, while at times encounters traffic conditions that require a reduction in speed, the route he generally takes has a traffic flow that is greater than 5mph faster than his limit? Has he been repeatedly urged to increase his speed (and again, if the flow of traffic is 65, you may need to increase your following distance, but not decrease your speed to a point dangerous to the other vehicles traveling with the flow)? Was he actually discharged for driving too slow, or "failure to follow directions"?
We don't go over the speed limit regardless of how fast the "flow of traffic" is.

stink219

You'll never get paid for .99 clicks. 59 minutes shows up as ".98", 60 mins, or 1 hr as "1.00".

That's not true. Three 20 minute paid breaks shows up as .99 on your paycheck.
Technically, we are being cheated.
Some parts of the country do not get the time bonus for over 10 hours. This issue was arbitrated on years ago. Because the bonus is separate events, it was agreed between the Union (before Hoffa) and UPS to be subject to the .33 hour pay scale. I'll try to find the case for you.

over9five

Staff member
Some parts of the country do not get the time bonus for over 10 hours. This issue was arbitrated on years ago. Because the bonus is separate events, it was agreed between the Union (before Hoffa) and UPS to be subject to the .33 hour pay scale. I'll try to find the case for you.
You don't have to find it, I know I can believe you.

Only at UPS can 20+20+20=59.....!

peacock

The bigger point here, is how this manager came to this conclusion in the first place and the answer is simple. First, as ive said in other threads on this subject, the current article 6 language is vague and ambiguous. Managers have tried to stretch this language into pretzels by using telematics.

You all make good points about driving. We are professionals, we are the ones driving the vehicles and should have the final authority to determine what is safe and what isnt. BUT, the article 6 language opened the flood gates to junkyard lawyers in a cubicle and they intend on trying to make the best of it.

Furthering this problem is the "new" article 6 language that will only enhance this kind of "manager" and create a host of problems for all drivers.

Peace

TOS
At our center we were informed by the S.S.'s that management is not allowed to dispense any disciplinary action based solely on "Telematics". For weeks/months drivers would be pulled aside w/ a S.S. after the PCM and we (drivers) would be handed papers and asked why we were stopped more than 4 minutes, backing totals, or anything that they could bring up. This was considered a verbal warning and continuing this action would result in further discipline. (I once was asked why I took certain streets to get to my next stop and replied "School was letting out and I was avoiding traffic...path of least resistance.". They love when you can answer them w/ the seeing habits). Then word got around that they couldn't discipline us for telematics and the after PCM meetings pretty much ended.
Also, we have drivers that are over everyday. Some of that is due to Telematics not taking into account that you slow down on dirt roads.
So, are you saying that the "Telematics discipline" has changed?

didyousheetit

I am not sure in other states, but the law in Pa is on highways (and that isn't just limited access highways) you are to be travelling ay a speed consistent with the flow of traffic, which generally will not be the speed limit. Travelling just five miles-an-hour slower than everyone else is presenting a serious danger to the travelling public around you. In addition, 83% of people generally travel at least 5 mph faster than the limit. For those who spend a large portion of their time on the roads, this is self-evident.

For that reason, cops generally don't pull someone over just for "going over the speed limit"; he'd have to ignore the other 40 vehicles traveling at the same or greater speeds. If a cop does pull someone over for "doing 45 in a 35"-especially when said vehicle was in a large flow of vehicles and was traveling with with them, his motive is rightfully questioned, and if the person would simply challenge it in court, they would get it overturned, but who wants to do that, especially with an out-of-state ticket (which they generally are counting on when they present bogus tickets like that.)

Please keep in mind, the speed limit on the highway has nothing to do with safety; that speed is a relic from efforts to curb fuel xonsumption during the oil crisis from the 70's-a mission, it should be noted, that it failed miserably at, just as it fails miserably at preventing accidents and fatalities today; the only thing it succeeds at is generating revenue for the township/county.
Three years ago I found myself in a defensive driver class to get a ticket off my record. At the class the instructor told the class the same thing that you should be going with traffic. However I rose my hand and informed him that that was why I was here. I was in the back third of a line of about 20 cars when a helicopter picked me out (because I was driving a minivan I can only assume). Then another woman in class asked me if it was during thanksgiving weekend as she was also nabbed during the speed trap.

tourists24

Ups' own methods say "observe all posted speed limits"........ they say not to violate it,,,, yet some people still justify it.... hmmm....

I had a Geo Metro in '90. Best work car I ever had. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

It was a rolling popcan of death though if you got hit by anything bigger than a tricycle.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Drive the speed limit on the NJ Tpke and you will get run off the road.

Those are some pretty big cars driving on that NJ Turnpike. Go take another look at the size of tractor and a set of doubles. I would have no problem feeling confident doing the speed limit on ANY road.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
One thing is for certain: you can easily tell by the comments, who is, and who ISN'T a feeder driver.

dudebro

What happened to the "professional" driver? As a driver I am required to be safe or face termination from my "profession". There are times when "professionals" must exercise their "professional" judgment and render opinions or make decisions, albeit without the aid of some silly program from ie that measures every tick of the clock in retrospect, that maintain the best interest of the company. And damn any quasi manager for questioning 1 mph on the highway while referencing the above mentioned program.

I've personally ridden behind this one driver who made a point of going 15 mph on a 40 mph well lit road in the middle of the night with no weather. You guys act like no one abuses that the other way. I'd never talk to someone about 54 in a 55 but don't rob the company either.