Driver Told He Is Stealing If Drives 54 MPH in A 55 MPH Zone

A

anonymous6

One thing is for certain: you can easily tell by the comments, who is, and who ISN'T a feeder driver.

as a CDL holder we are more like subcontractors than any other employee. I drove trucks for 12 years before UPS and may well drive for other companies after I "retire" here. we have to adhere to a whole different set of rules independent of UPS. I work accordingly.

oldtymer

My boss told me that the speed limit is 55mph in New York.......come down 95 south from Ct. there is a sign plain as day "State Speed Limit 55" "Trucks 50". Also, Throgs Neck Bridge the posted speed limit is 45 right? Well just before the bridge is a sign that says truck speed limit 30mph. And yes, I observe posted speed limit on Jersey Tpke....even when it says 35.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If you drive in spite of the flow if traffic, you are a danger, plain and simple, in which case this argument, "I drive the speed limit in my truck for SAFETY" is really specious. Also, the principles involved are no different for a car vs truck; methods, maybe, but not principle. To compensate for the difference, you must increase following distance, not necessarily reduce speed; I can't drive a package car like I drive my personal car, I have to allow myself room for error. In a tractor-trailer, have to give yourself even more room for error. But that doesn't mean doing 54 when everyone else is doing 65. It's rather selfish.

And one thing I like about NJ: they actually give tickets to people WHO GO TOO SLOW! They understand the concept of traffic flow: not too fast, not too slow.

Those who got ticketed being part of a group doing more than the limit: did you ever meet with a judge? What did he have to say?

smart girl

I am circle of honor driver, it is not speed limit it is conditions and being prepared for driveway exits, kids playing,
school buses, landscapers walking out onto road, and many other sudden changes. You are the professional drdriver you make the changes according to conditions. Screw them

If you drive in spite of the flow if traffic, you are a danger, plain and simple, in which case this argument, "I drive the speed limit in my truck for SAFETY" is really specious. Also, the principles involved are no different for a car vs truck; methods, maybe, but not principle. To compensate for the difference, you must increase following distance, not necessarily reduce speed; I can't drive a package car like I drive my personal car, I have to allow myself room for error. In a tractor-trailer, have to give yourself even more room for error. But that doesn't mean doing 54 when everyone else is doing 65. It's rather selfish.

And one thing I like about NJ: they actually give tickets to people WHO GO TOO SLOW! They understand the concept of traffic flow: not too fast, not too slow.

Those who got ticketed being part of a group doing more than the limit: did you ever meet with a judge? What did he have to say?

Simple. What does the black and white sign on the side of the road read? Whatever those numbers are will be the speed, MAXIMUM, that we will drive a UPS vehicle. I have 80,000 reasons why. One for every pound sitting behind me as I go down the road.

You want to go with the "flow"? They'll be hosing your flow off the pavement when you run out of skill and luck.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've mentioned this before: studies show speeders actually have a lesser chance of dying than those who routinely drive slower than the speed limit. Counter-intuitive, I know......Speed is irrelevant, unless everyone is traveling at an unsafe speed. However, most people intuitively travel at a speed that they can comfortably maintain and control their vehicle; it is why 83% of all drivers-commercial and personal-drive faster than the speed limit. It has been suggested numerous times, by the DOT among others, that the speed limits on much of the nation's highways are set too low,which causes an unsafe driving environment that really needs to be corrected. It has not for the same reason there will never be a cure for cancer or AIDS: there is too much money being made with the way things are.

I do note there are times where special circumstances exist that require certain vehicles to travel no more than a certain speed; going up-and-down grades for example. Physics dictate they can't go above a certain a limit and be controlled. However, I posit that feeder drivers won't lose their jobs going slower than everyone else on a grade, or in the rain; they will doing the speed limit in ideal driving conditions with everyone else-including other truck drivers-safely going 65mph (and please, the speed limit under normal circumstances, has nothing to do with safety!)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I've mentioned this before: studies show speeders actually have a lesser chance of dying than those who routinely drive slower than the speed limit. Counter-intuitive, I know......Speed is irrelevant, unless everyone is traveling at an unsafe speed. However, most people intuitively travel at a speed that they can comfortably maintain and control their vehicle; it is why 83% of all drivers-commercial and personal-drive faster than the speed limit. It has been suggested numerous times, by the DOT among others, that the speed limits on much of the nation's highways are set too low,which causes an unsafe driving environment that really needs to be corrected. It has not for the same reason there will never be a cure for cancer or AIDS: there is too much money being made with the way things are.

I do note there are times where special circumstances exist that require certain vehicles to travel no more than a certain speed; going up-and-down grades for example. Physics dictate they can't go above a certain a limit and be controlled. However, I posit that feeder drivers won't lose their jobs going slower than everyone else on a grade, or in the rain; they will doing the speed limit in ideal driving conditions with everyone else-including other truck drivers-safely going 65mph (and please, the speed limit under normal circumstances, has nothing to do with safety!)

I tried all your arguments in court & the Judge socked me with 4 points & a $250 fine. Where can I send you the bill?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Does it tell you anything that all of the feeder drivers defend driving under the speed limit? No? Why don't you ask how many of us have been pulled over and ticked for driving too slow? You sound like the kind if driver we barely see, sucked up against our bumpers.

Dracula

For argument's sake, lets assume that you are correct, and that speed has NOTHING to do with safety. Have you forgotten who we work for? Do anything wrong while you are over any speed limit--ANYTHING--and UPS will use that against you. That is not a guess, that is simple reality. Most feeder drivers have a lot of working experience at this company. They tend to be very pragmatic about their employment. They know not to be stupid and give management an easy target. You sound like you haven't learned that lesson yet.

And as far as going with the flow and speed of traffic, that doesn't work with a tractor-trailer...not if you want to be safe. If you are running with the flow of traffic, you will not have a safe space cushion in front of you. Anyone who keeps a proper space cushion from the vehicle in front of you knows damn good and well that every time you get the proper distance ahead of yourself, someone cuts into your lane, reducing your cushion. Rinse and repeat. So, you have to slow down again.

Don't take my word for it, ask another feeder driver. You seem to ignore everything being said here. Tractor trailers ARE NOT like regular vehicles. They handle different, they accelerate different, they brake different and the consequences of an accident in one, can be fatally different.

What you're hearing here, is the acknowledgement of those facts.

It is also easy to spot rookie feeder drivers who act like they have a million miles under their belt...

I'll take a rookie feeder driver acting like they have a million miles on the side of safety over a rookie feeder driver that thinks he's going to be the next best thing to sliced bread because he was a hotdog in package.

Dracula

I'll take a rookie feeder driver acting like they have a million miles on the side of safety over a rookie feeder driver that thinks he's going to be the next best thing to sliced bread because he was a hotdog in package.

Yeah, there is always a handful coming back, isn't there?

I'm working on my 3rd year back here, and I still consider myself a rookie. And I probably still will after 5 years. I never want to be 'too comfortable' with this equipment. My 21 years in package car didn't do anything for me back here...except, maybe, my attitude. I was never in much of a rush in PC, and I carried that over well to feeders. That has served me well. No hurries, no worries.

A

anonymous6

are you really serious?

oldngray

nowhere special
Feeders do live in a different world. If they are late they really don't care. Big difference from the rush of package cars.

Feeders do live in a different world. If they are late they really don't care. Big difference from the rush of package cars.

​I care BUT I also know that anything that makes me late is nothing that began with me and is out of my hands. Rushing to catch up creates nothing but risk. Better late than not at all.

A

anonymous6

some of these people sound like management material. for the record , have been driving tractor trailers for 33 years. lost count after 2 million mile. never got a ticket for driving too slow. never caused an accident for driving too slow. ( meaning the posted speed limit )