Driver Training 30 day probation.

UPSGUY72

If you feel as though you did a good job and are unhappy with the decision, contact your BA and ask him if you have any options. The company cannot DQ you for "no good reason" unless you let them. Esp the shaky "performance issues".

What is "a good reson " in your book for not making your 30 days???? If not hitting the numbers isn't one of them everyone that didn't get into anccident would make there 30 days. This would make my job and every other drivers job harder because we would be picking up the slack for the drivers that never can make there numbers.

We had a driver not make his 30 days and I'm glad becasue in his third week I still had to go meet him and take 30 stops from him everyday after I finished my route.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What is "a good reson " in your book for not making your 30 days???? If not hitting the numbers isn't one of them everyone that didn't get into anccident would make there 30 days. This would make my job and every other drivers job harder because we would be picking up the slack for the drivers that never can make there numbers.

We had a driver not make his 30 days and I'm glad becasue in his third week I still had to go meet him and take 30 stops from him everyday after I finished my route.

There is an "acceptable" performance level and unacceptable. The company will disqualify anyone if they don't want them to drive, whether they are good enough or not. That is my point, and why there must be some recourse for those who are disqualified unjustly.

UPSGUY72

There is an "acceptable" performance level and unacceptable. The company will disqualify anyone if they don't want them to drive, whether they are good enough or not. That is my point, and why there must be some recourse for those who are disqualified unjustly.

I understand what you are says but what do you define as "acceptable". You must have some hard numbes defining what "acceptable" is in order to say someone unjustly didn't make there 30 days. Wait a minute they do. Even us who are already driver need to make are numbers or we get a talking to and a 3 day ride.

If there is some recourse for those who supposedly unjustly don't make there 30 days everyone who didn't make there 30 days would file a grievance.

just interested

If he had no idea or feedback for how he was doing, then how can he improve? The training manual, I believe, says that the supervisor should be meeting nightly with the trainee going over that day's performance.

How can he assimilate his day without any reference point or review of each day? There is so much to learn as a new driver!

Numbers by themselves mean nothing - the union doesn't recognize it, nor does the union contract. I believe it says something about "age?" and "condition?" Here it is: Article 37 Section 1: ....."The employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee."

25 driving days, yes they can choose without cause to disqualify you in the area of driver qualification, but were you hired as a "reg-temp" employee? Do you have a different classification, such as part-time preloader?

Did you go to the 5 day Integrad training? Did you have a 1 day "ride-along"?

If so, then those training days still count as "work days" and if you've hit 30 work days within a 90 day period, then you may be protected as a general employee, but perhaps not as a driver.

Maybe the steward and you should approach management and ask them to define, if they hadn't already, what they consider as appropriate stats - what exactly they expected from you - and ask them to give you the last 5 days to reach the goals, if they are even reasonable, that is.

I know there is a training manual outlining how you are to be trained, but I've never actually seen it. But if they didn't follow the training guidelines, then perhaps that's an area for grievance. "lack of proper training"

good luck

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've had problems in the past regarding qualifying and it was less fault of my own, rather the company.

I won't explain what happened, but rather a couple tidbits:

If the company did not follow the training guidelines and procedures step by step, you can file a grievance and probably win it. What happens is , they send you to driving school but often send those same people back into the building. Then, after a period of time , on their terms, they recall those employees. That is not the intended use of the training. The drivers are supposed to drive IMMEDIATELY following the integrad. After all, what good is the integrad if you can't apply that knowledge when it's fresh in your head? There is a lot of information in a short amount of time to utilize.

Also, another strategy is NOT using the training book and doing what they want with the new driver. This is not acceptable and worth a grievance, and a good BA will win this every time. What the co will do is put drivers out with whatever amount of work they want you to, and have the on-car deliver everything . (8+ hour dispatches, etc). There are weekly dispatch amounts in the training book that each on-car and center manager sign off on EVERY DAY, and if that is not safisfactory, it can be grieved. For ex: , they send out a driver in his first week with a 9+ hour dispatch when the training manual the on-car signed off with showed 6.5 hr w/ trainer(standard for firstweek)

Another great one is when they lay off drivers WHILE STILL IN 30 DAYS. So by working one day a week for 30 weeks , you can make your 30 days! However, I guarantee you that the co will disqualify you because they don't need the FT driver! So despite there being a job that you bid on, the company doesn't want to honor it so they stall you and then DQ you and hope you don't say anything . Remember, there is no real reason necessary for UPS to come up with , until you complain and get a union rep involved. Then they have some 'splainin to do.

There's even more I can come up with, but these are all red flags that a new driver might have an argument for being disqualified unnecessarily.