Driver Training class

Black

It's two weeks! We watched a lot of saftey videos today. Tomorrow we will be out on the road getting tested by some supervisors about what we had gone over today in class.

If you have the opportunity to drive, do it....but start out just driving Sat. Air stuff if at all possible. After the driving class, you get a supervisor to ride with you for a day or two and then you are on your own. Learning it on your own(the DIAD that is..) is the only way to go. The classroom stuff on the DIAD is useless, almost. I work at the W.Sac. Hub and the Sat. air job is a great way to figure out if driving friend/t is for you or not. If your building has an automatic, get it....esp. if you are in an area you don't know. Oh, and when you are on your own....drive slowly and keep alot of room between you and others....those are the two keys I have found that are the best all the time. And if you miss a stop, or drive past it...just keep going do NOT take some evasive action because you just saw the street sign at the last minute...."oh, crap, that was the street"

F

Fellow Newbie

I finished driver training class two weeks ago. Once in my center, I went out three days with a sup and have been on the same route since. Some days are great - 9.5 hours and everything comes off the truch easy. Other days make me want to drive the truck back to the building and walk away - like pouring rain with 500 pieces packed to the ceiling and a dozen ODS pickups taking me off route. That day I got back to the building at 9:00pm.

Be prepared to work extremely hard. You will have a hard time adjusting to this job. I think everyone does. The vets will tell you to "take your lunch". Lunch is out of the question until you at least know your route. I can afford ten minutes to eat and 20 minutes to sort my truck. If I took an hour lunch, I wouldn't be done til 8:00 every night. Get you book and then slowly, over time, pace down and take a full hour. Until you're in the union, no one cares about you.