Driver with bad knees.

Anonymouss

I've been with UPS for 6 years now, brand new driver and i'm seeming to have problems with my knees. I've been deployed 4 times to the middle east in the last 4 years and i'm sure wearing all that gear didn't help.

The Doc said it's Patella Femoral Syndrome which is basically 'bone bruising' that often happens in laborers and sport players.

Are there any other drivers out there that experienced knee pain when they first started? How did you deal with it?

DS

Fenderbender
If you are having trouble now,you have a problem.It gets worse as you get older.
Put your letter in for management.You might get lucky.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I was only a driver helper for 2 months but it was hell on my knees and ankles. Loading breaks your back, being a 'jumper' breaks your legs. I don't know how bad your pain is everyone has a different pain threshold, but have you tried going out of your way to use the hand rails?

A month of icing my knees and ankles plus focusing on using my arms to support me when exiting the truck made the second month a lot easier. Damn, 6 years in to get that job I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking about going into management at that point.

I dunno though I can't even imagine the miles you've schlepped that gear through some third world ****e hole. Good luck man, hang in there.

Anonymouss

Im never going into management.
It's about a 6 year wait to go driving in my area. Patella Femoral Syndrome is able to be cured but usually it involves backing off from whatever is causing it. Running is what started it, so i've been "walking at a brisk pace" and using my handrails and it's getting much better. I'm doing okay now (before I could barely bend my knees at the end of the day) but I just wanted to see if anyone else had to deal with it.

InsideUPS

Im never going into management.
It's about a 6 year wait to go driving in my area. Patella Femoral Syndrome is able to be cured but usually it involves backing off from whatever is causing it. Running is what started it, so i've been "walking at a brisk pace" and using my handrails and it's getting much better. I'm doing okay now (before I could barely bend my knees at the end of the day) but I just wanted to see if anyone else had to deal with it.

Work safe....which includes what you are now doing..."walking at a brisk pace"....and using the hand rails. Also....don't jump off the package car with heavier packages in your arms... That added weight hitting the pavement adds significant force to you knees. Also, check out your shoes and inner soles to make sure you are wearing the best combination possible.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You've got a long career ahead of you...and a painful one as well...if you're heavier, try to lean up as much as possible to take the pressure off your joints. Look into glucosamine supplements and go easy on the anti inflammatories if you can. They'll tear up your liver over a long haul. Good luck.

UPSGUY72

I've been with UPS for 6 years now, brand new driver and i'm seeming to have problems with my knees. I've been deployed 4 times to the middle east in the last 4 years and i'm sure wearing all that gear didn't help.

The Doc said it's Patella Femoral Syndrome which is basically 'bone bruising' that often happens in laborers and sport players.

Are there any other drivers out there that experienced knee pain when they first started? How did you deal with it?

As a fellow VEt you need to go to make sure you go to your local VA and get this Documented on your service record so you can get disability down the road.....

musicman

Ask the doctor to put you on Celebrex for a week. It works miracles on knees. I had my third arthroscopy on my left knee a few years ago and was having a lot of pain when I came back to work. Went on Celebrex for a week and I was amazed what it did for me...still doing good almost 3 years later and it only took that one week of treatment. Good luck and thanks for your service..

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
InsideUPS had good points. I was having knee pain in my first couple months of driving and realized it was because I was not always dismounting properly. I'd either be in ahurry and not want to get out right or too lazy to follow the methods depending on the day. Setting down the package on or next to the step before getting out, using the muscles in your arms to help lower you down via the handrail and clearing the ground below all have fixed 90% of the knee pain. To manage the pain advil helped a lot as an anti-inflammatory but as previously stated it can trash your liver and the linings of your stomach if used too much.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The most important thing with patella femoral syndrome is to strengthen your muscles surrounding the joints, to take pressure off. That is what both physical therapists and doctors recommended, and it does help reduce some of the burning, aching and pulling. Exercise bike is good since it's low impact, so I suggest it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I'm sorry. Screw the walk at a brisk pace. Is bs! Walk at a comfortable pace for you. You are what matters. Hand truck if you need to.

tarbar66

Lots of good advice.

I was told by a 20 year driver that I needed to walk softer, it saves on your shoes and joints. After I got used to walking softer my pains went away.

My wife complains that I sneak up on her, I never told her what customers would tell me.

DSM515

First off thanks for your service. Are you wearing GOOD work boots or shoes? A friend of mine who is also a driver had the same problem with his knees and feet always hurting but he always bought cheap footwear. I talked him into letting go of a days pay a buy a pair of Redwings. He was amazed how much his feet and knees felt better just in the first week! So if you can check out Redwing plus you get a UPS discount. Also Doc Martins make a nice sturdy work shoe with I think it's called Airwalk sole. Good luck

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I use the elliptical combined with running, doing those two I have noticed I can do the job longer with less ache from my knees. I've lost around 20lbs since December, 6'1" 199lbs and have twice the energy. When your energy gets low as the days drag on you subconsciously start to do "shortcuts". A few examples of that are less use of handrails, carry more packages instead of using handcart, hopping in and out of the side door instead of putting packages on the stairs and lifting in your zone, among other small things.

upsgrunt

I'll get blasted for this, but I don't care. Walk on the grass whenever you can- the softer surfaces have more give and are easier on the knees. Your boot soles will last longer as well.

Anonymouss

Thank you all for the awesome advice!! Starting tomorrow I will start practicing it all. I've been using my handrail but I often find myself skipping it to just rush in and out of the truck. I have great shoes and insoles so i'm not too worried about that. I've found that running is definitely what sparks the pain and flare ups because of all the impact on my knees.
I started my self on a One Advil a day regiment to help with the inflammation and so far it is helping.
Again, you all are awesome! Thanks for the advice. I hope others can learn from this too.

musicman

Glad the Advil is helping. In my case I always use the handrail and I'm pretty careful about my knees. When I was having my issues, the ibuprofen was ineffective. If your knee pain is in the slightest bit arthritis related the Celebrex will work wonders.

Indecisi0n

I'll get blasted for this, but I don't care. Walk on the grass whenever you can- the softer surfaces have more give and are easier on the knees. Your boot soles will last longer as well.

I try to park so when I step off the truck i step into grass as oppose concrete. Safety says you shouldn't do this but it does help a little. Just make sure to really look before stepping when stepping into grass.