driver

paidslave

I was illegally fired after 32+ years! It was devastating! I was told not to even come back onto company property! All I did was fill out a request for a day off and went home(major stress at the time)

Sounds fishy too me.......This is illegal. It is not job abandonment. I would imagine if you never tried to pull this in the last 9 months than you should get full back pay. Go get your self 6 months of unemployment and let the contract speak. You needed the day off for personal reasons and you requested it. I don't see what the problem is. You didn't lie and say you were sick when you weren't like some here say you should lie.

U were honest and they fired you for it. You should have recieved a written warning on the first offense..

Easy one here! It wasn't a no call no show! Is UPS managment really this stupid.....Get a computer and generate a written warning and document a first offense per contract.

You will recieve full back pay, benefits and reinstated seniority..

Fight this and don't look back if you are telling the truth.

my2cents!

paidslave

If he/she is union, might get the job back.

The point is; management will fire you for not giving notice for requesting a day off and leaving work. Anyone with time in should know about job abandonment, esp a 32 year vet.

If you're sick or extremely stressed, you say "I'm too sick to work and need to see a doctor". Then UPS cannot jeopardize your personal saftey.

Plus, there's a whole different side to the story we aren't hearing, too.

This is not job abandonment! You needed and wanted the day off. You showed up so it is not a no call no show which is a cardinal offense!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

This is not job abandonment! You needed and wanted the day off. You showed up so it is not a no call no show which is a cardinal offense!

In this case, he went into work , wrote in he was leaving using a personal day and just left. How is that not abandoning your job?

understand what you're saying but you are wrong here, at least IMO and experiences in NE.

Go into work. Write in for a personal day, tell management you're leaving. What're they going to say to you? That they need 7 days (5 working days) for approval for a personal day. You say you're stressed and need to leave. That is job abandonment, but you covered your bases, and especially if there was a steward present so it's not he-said she-said.

Job abandonment doesn't only apply to no-call no shows. It can also mean leaving a job without just cause. At least that is my experience.