driver

wornoutupser

C'mon Tie!

A Pi$$ing contest?

Our center had over 80 greivances heard yesterday. It took until after 4:00 to hear them all.
One driver that will help anyone,anytime,anywhere was in there because he was in trouble for missing 16 stops on a night that he worked until 11:00 PM onroad. We have a new division manager that looked at him and said" You are on my radar now, you better be careful."

The problem in our building is chronic over dispatching,not drivers that do not care about our customers. See who starts that little contest down this way? We have have to defend ourselves CONSTANTLY down here. This is unacceptable.

Perhaps Central Florida is different than your area, but we spend a huge amount of time down here documenting our own selves for our own defense.

Most of us carry our own notebooks for record keeping. In my opinion, this is a stupid waste of time, but it is necessary around here to defend yourself at any given moment against an accusation.

If you can improve this, would you PLEASE transfer to our area to fix this? We just lost yet another center manager. This was number 19 in my 23 years here. UPS uses our building to fire managers and the attitude problem here results from that alone. This problem has gone on here since day one, I wish that someone would fix it!

Overpaid Union Thug

Yelling at someone and putting their fingure in the face is clearly an attempt at intimidation and harrassment. I've never filed a grievance but I'd be all over that one. As far as the supposed "pissing contest" goes....if management would stop overdispatching loads than that would solve most of the problem. The methods game combined with documenting everything is the best way to go. If you follow their methods to the T and still are running over plan than that will work in your favor. I totally understand where management is comming from by wanting the trucks to be so full that you can't even walk insde. The theory is that if the trucks aren't full then UPS isn't making any money. They are failing to realize that we aren't just mindless, indistructable robots or Superman. And last time I checked profits were soaring (as usual) so that theory can be tossed out the window.

crzy4trucks

AM Preloader
OK,I'm back!My 3 day ride went alright,but the meeting following it was the worst I have experienced in my 18 years at UPS!Center mgr threatened to suspend me on the spot and then called me a thief,pointing his finger in my face!He yelled the whole meeting.Even my shop steward was shocked.Breifly,my numbers were only a little better,and I dont have to tell y'all they can manipulate them to their liking.anyway,I called the UPS helpline and filed a complaint,we are filing 2 grievances today and I am in the process of writing a letter to some bigwig at UPS by the reccomendation of the union business agent.I am so pissed off!I am keeping a daily log now bcause this is one vindictive man.I am worried,but not afraid of him.Will keep you posted and thanks for the support!
Good work man. Thats how you do it. BTW... Like my dad always says...(Former CDF/Fire Division Chief) When a sup or manager yells at you, take it one ear and out the other. Just do what you were trained to do. And if you are chewed upon and spit upon, Dont take it.

tieguy

Banned
C'mon Tie!

A Pi$$ing contest?

Our center had over 80 greivances heard yesterday. It took until after 4:00 to hear them all.
One driver that will help anyone,anytime,anywhere was in there because he was in trouble for missing 16 stops on a night that he worked until 11:00 PM onroad. We have a new division manager that looked at him and said" You are on my radar now, you better be careful."

The problem in our building is chronic over dispatching,not drivers that do not care about our customers. See who starts that little contest down this way? We have have to defend ourselves CONSTANTLY down here. This is unacceptable.

Perhaps Central Florida is different than your area, but we spend a huge amount of time down here documenting our own selves for our own defense.

Most of us carry our own notebooks for record keeping. In my opinion, this is a stupid waste of time, but it is necessary around here to defend yourself at any given moment against an accusation.

If you can improve this, would you PLEASE transfer to our area to fix this? We just lost yet another center manager. This was number 19 in my 23 years here. UPS uses our building to fire managers and the attitude problem here results from that alone. This problem has gone on here since day one, I wish that someone would fix it!

Worn,

I don't doubt we have our problems. This driver now has a 3 day ride. He can be held accountable for what he does. He can be held accountable for methods violations. Telling him to throw more gas on the fire or to use methods to stick it up the companys rear could get the guy fired. He can be observed anytime anywhere on that route. He will not be 100 percent perfect on methods no matter how much he wants to be.

socom71

I had a 3-day by my divison manager. I think he thought I was out goofing off all day because I would run over 1.50 to almost 2 hours over every day. Best ride I ever had. I really enjoyed myself. We had late nights,missed stops,missed the air car with our outbound nda and the pleasure of hearing him say that it was faster to let me setup my residentals and run them my way than to do it the way they were loaded by PAS. Yes they tried that crap about min stops per hour refused to sign it ran the same with him as I did without him. Have not been bothered since. Oh yeah my center manager told me he complained about the blisters he got from having to walk so fast to try and keep up with me I loved that one! If they groom your load try filing a grevance over the fact that your load is never right but on day of ride they proved they could give you a good load but never do. A good load can make a big difference as I am sure you know keep us posted

anarchy

Alright tie guy,I understand what you are trying to say.However I didn't start this thing.I filed 1 greivance in April for excess hrs.and they wait til aug. to ride w/ me?They told me that 3 day rides were mandatory on All excess hr. greivances.That is a lie!I really have no idea why they are singling only a few of us out,probably to make examples out of us.My # were very close before/ after ride.Noone should be treated the way I was in that office!He is clearly trying to scare and intimidate us for the sake of more profit.I follow the methods to the best of my ability daily(was not written for any violations from ride because I performed them very well).I've driven 18 yrs. and I will not let anyone call me a THEIF!I cannot just turn away now and let him degrade :mad: me like that!

disneyworld

Never ceases to amaze me how this company treats their employees. They'll stick a knife in you everytime. Don't EVER trust anyone. What kind of work environment is that? How is that supposed to help the company? I can't wait to get the friend* out. I'm so pissed off just reading this thread. This company sucks.

Last edited:

gamecock65

I can't wait to get the friend* out. I'm so pissed off just reading this thread. This company sucks.

Yeah... the pay and benefits are terrible... how does any one deal with the benefits? I mean damn... they are so terrible. And the union... drivers NEVER get what they want. Such a terrible company...

Dude... quit and join another company. Tell me how great you have it then.

N

nkprescott-steward

Hey Anarchy, your getting a lot of good advice, except for Tieguy. He has
clearly taken the "brown" blood transfusion. He's dead wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All 9.5 greivances are based on hours worked and NOT your planned day!!!!!!
"Over Allowed & SPHOR" is UPS' issue. Your job is to give a Fair Days Work
for a Fair Days Pay. Every wonder why it takes 3 days for management to
determine if a driver is doing his job correctly and it only takes ONE day every
5, 10, 15 years for I.E. to time study a route??? Time allowances are a
travesty, I consider it stealing by the company, fair,just time allowances, UPS
does not have the ethics anymore to assign fair time allowances. This past
May I represented a driver in our center who had been 3 day OJS'd, the Summary of the ride was vague, lacking specifics and only listed one area
to be improved, that being Keys not ready. I instructed the driver not to sign
the paperwork. As the steward I obtained a copy for the driver as well as
myself. On the OJS summary I wrote Extracontractual and filed an excessive
ride grievance, this driver has been OJS'd 10 times in 2 years!!! They are now
leaving him alone. Know your contractual rights, if your doing the job right
and giving it an honest effort, don't give in to managements tactics. The
employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise
any employee in the performance of his or her duties. If management continues to approach you regarding your performance, never discuss it one-
on-one, request your steward and clearly state if this continual badgering
continues you'll consider it harassment and will report it to the Union and
Human Resources. Hope this is of help. Strength and Honor in our Solidarity!

disneyworld

Yeah... the pay and benefits are terrible... how does any one deal with the benefits? I mean damn... they are so terrible. And the union... drivers NEVER get what they want. Such a terrible company...

Dude... quit and join another company. Tell me how great you have it then.
Hey cock,Read the post again,Does it say anything about pay or benefits? I'm talking about the way they treat people. They called the guy a thief.Would you want to go to work everyday and bust your ass for people like that? BTW,2 yrs and I'm out,Thank you very much.

Last edited:

fmrtie

Hey cock,Read the post again,Does it say anything about pay or benefits? I'm talking about the way they treat people. They called the guy a thief.Would you want to go to work everyday and bust your ass for people like that? BTW,2 yrs and I'm out,Thank you very much.

Disney you are right on. Even as a former member of management, if you are deemed undesirable or disliked by a superior, your existence at UPS WILL BE made as miserable as hell. It doesn't matter if you are hourly or management they will try and force you out. The working conditions at UPS are miserable, from the way you are treated, the equipment that you use and the facilities that you operate in. I left for a multitude of reasons, the way I was treated by upper management was one, found another organization to work for, for equal pay and benefits and imagine only 8 hours per day. There is a better.

trickpony1

fmrtie-
I am so glad to hear you say that.
To hear other management you would thing everything was the "yellow brick road" and the "Good Ship Lollipop".
Unfortunately, we(the drivers) can't just one day decide we've had enough crap. We have this thing called retirement that keeps us there.

Again. I thank you for your brutal honesty about the conditions at our company.

tieguy

Banned
Alright tie guy,I understand what you are trying to say.However I didn't start this thing.I filed 1 greivance in April for excess hrs.and they wait til aug. to ride w/ me?They told me that 3 day rides were mandatory on All excess hr. greivances.That is a lie!I really have no idea why they are singling only a few of us out,probably to make examples out of us.My # were very close before/ after ride.Noone should be treated the way I was in that office!He is clearly trying to scare and intimidate us for the sake of more profit.I follow the methods to the best of my ability daily(was not written for any violations from ride because I performed them very well).I've driven 18 yrs. and I will not let anyone call me a THEIF!I cannot just turn away now and let him degrade :mad: me like that!

I understand what you're saying. I don't support public humiliation of our people. So now what? Is your pride worth losing your job. If it is then do what the other posters here tell you. Be the biggest A-hole you can be. Disrupt their operation. Continue the pissing contest. And then when they walk you out,,, do so proudly and brag about how you really showed them. UPS has always been a job where you work your ass off. You will always work harder tommorrow then you did today. You will always work long days. We can fool ourselves into thinking otherwise and the contract language gives you the chance to harass your harrassers over the long days. Thats all great. Employment is basically working for a boss and trying to give the boss what he/she wants. Self employed have the customer as the boss. Now somewhere along the way the union decided they could possibly change this relationship and get the job to a point where the union employee can now boss the boss and tell him what he will and won't do. The union actually gets some of their more gullible members to believe they can now boss the boss. In the end those guys get screwed over, harrassed every day, overworked and overloaded because they forget their role in life. Keep the boss happy.

So at this point you can decided you're going to keep the boss happy or you can continue on with your experiment in trying to boss the boss. I have to warn you though the boss will not play nice as you have already found out.

As for trick and the other whiners who speak of the company philosophy why don't you try to do your own job right for a change instead of pushing others into losing their jobs.

T

Thebrowntruth

In the end those guys get screwed over, harrassed every day, overworked and overloaded because they forget their role in life. Keep the boss happy.

Tie,
A couple of points...as two people with UPS management experience I really CANNOT believe you made this comment and ill go so far as to ask you to please take it back. No UPS employees role in life is to "keep the boss happy".
Every employee's job is to service the customer as best possible. If you or anyone claims their is a universal goal among management to put the customer first, instead of trying to just cover their :censored2: or glide to retirement with a few million in stock, it would be a lie (and no i am not saying or suggesting you are lying).

As for trick and the other whiners who speak of the company philosophy why don't you try to do your own job right for a change instead of pushing others into losing their jobs.

Havent we reached a point where we need to remember and speak about our philosophy? Is there any building in the country that doesnt have a Jim Casey quote framed which speaks to our phiosophy. Either we address what is wrong, both management and hourly, as UPS'ers or we can let our non union competitors roll over us. Post PAS time allowances are not fair, and we know the package selection time was eliminated for the drivers which cost them about a half hour each day on their "plan" time. Couple this with preloaders that can barely read and loads that are sent out maxed and you have a need for MORE package selection allowance. Are their lazy, pathetic drivers out there that hid behind the union....ABSOLUTELY....but are there lazy, pathetic membes of management that got their job due to a quota, friendship with higher ups or just hanging around with a few million in friend.U. money and dont care anymore....ABSOLUTELY

I have to admit a lot of the posts on this board give me hope that there are enough people that still care that can right this ship before Atlanta destoys my biggest personal investment. Even the pissers and moaners must care a little or they wouldnt take the time to do it....

disneyworld

Disney you are right on. Even as a former member of management, if you are deemed undesirable or disliked by a superior, your existence at UPS WILL BE made as miserable as hell. It doesn't matter if you are hourly or management they will try and force you out. The working conditions at UPS are miserable, from the way you are treated, the equipment that you use and the facilities that you operate in. I left for a multitude of reasons, the way I was treated by upper management was one, found another organization to work for, for equal pay and benefits and imagine only 8 hours per day. There is a better.
Thanks FMRTIE.I would consider myself a good employee and hard worker.I have always been one to get along with my sups,never been one to ruffle feathers,never filed a grievance. I've always just taken it lying down. But management has taken full advantage of that.Now that I have kids and I simply ask to get home at a decent hour so I can see them,apparently that's ruffling feathers. So I've decided to walk away from the little retirement I have accrued. For me,I would rather work until I'm 65 in a happy environment than deal with this company another 17 years. And they don't care when they lose good employees.As for TIEGUY,Keep your boss happy? The only way that happens is if you step up and say,"I'll take another 50 stops so you can blow that route out and you look like a superstar. No really,I don't mind,you can go home at 4:00 and enjoy the kids after school activities. I have the weekends to spend with mine. Go spend quality time with them".

Last edited:

fmrtie

Tie, if you expect that it is the obligation of the employee to "Keep the Boss Happy" then you, yourself, must be the typical "Yes Man" willing to do anything for the betterment of your career. It is unfortunate that there are so many people at UPS these days that are willing to step all over anybody to get to the top of the ladder. Jim Casey must be getting dizzy from rolling so much.

anarchy

I understand what you're saying. I don't support public humiliation of our people. So now what? Is your pride worth losing your job. If it is then do what the other posters here tell you. Be the biggest A-hole you can be. Disrupt their operation. Continue the pissing contest. And then when they walk you out,,, do so proudly and brag about how you really showed them. UPS has always been a job where you work your ass off. You will always work harder tommorrow then you did today. You will always work long days. We can fool ourselves into thinking otherwise and the contract language gives you the chance to harass your harrassers over the long days. Thats all great. Employment is basically working for a boss and trying to give the boss what he/she wants. Self employed have the customer as the boss. Now somewhere along the way the union decided they could possibly change this relationship and get the job to a point where the union employee can now boss the boss and tell him what he will and won't do. The union actually gets some of their more gullible members to believe they can now boss the boss. In the end those guys get screwed over, harrassed every day, overworked and overloaded because they forget their role in life. Keep the boss happy.

So at this point you can decided you're going to keep the boss happy or you can continue on with your experiment in trying to boss the boss. I have to warn you though the boss will not play nice as you have already found out.

That has got to be the MOST spineless thing I have ever read in my life!And NO, you are not right for once in your life.If you want to give me usefull advice,that's fine,otherwise take your onesided opinions elsewhere.

N

nkprescott-steward

Hey Anarchy! I'm quite certain on the last page of the NM agreement
there are 37 names of high ranking UPS officials representing the em-
ployer agreeing with the terms of Article 37. I'll go out on a limb here
and consider them much smarter than this character "tieguy". Tieguy
exhibits yet again the extreme arrogance so omnipresent we hear
errupting from the mouths of management. He feels so threatened
by employees who simply want to enforce what the company has
agreed to. Tieguys assertion that the Union is trying to dictate how
to run the business is irrational thinking. How management can sleep
well at night knowing they are contributing in a major way to the
demise of the family is beyond normal peoples understanding. Wonder
how many package drivers ate supper with their families tonight?
In our center we've recently had a part-time sup. become a FT driver.
He's being worked to extremes, he currently has missed the past 11
days because he has pneumonia, he is so run down and haggared
looking and discouraged it's no suprise that he became seriously ill!!
I'm always amazed by people like "tieguy" who has not walked a
thousand miles in your shoes, can ascertain with such certitude your
situation and pass judgement. Can "tieguy' possibly be right this
time? No, NO, a thousand times NO!!!

tieguy

Banned
That has got to be the MOST spineless thing I have ever read in my life!And NO, you are not right for once in your life.If you want to give me usefull advice,that's fine,otherwise take your onesided opinions elsewhere.

You now need to look within. Your last post shows you do not understand the basics of an employer / employee relationship. You're telling me that you actually think you can go to work tommorrow and tell the boss what you will do. Thus you are currently in a battle of wills with the guy. Thus you are on this board crying because the man is not happy with the job you are doing and has told you so in a fashion that is not only mean but pretty blunt. But the guy at least told you where you stood. He is giving you the chance to change your ways. If you fail to do so then you have no one else to blame but yourself. He is not going to sneak up on you one day and surprise you by firing you. He has looked you in the eye and told you that you need to change. Now you would like him to change his ways and drop the his level of exceptance down to one where you feel comfortable. It ain't happening. The guys on this board that tell you to keep feeding the flames may cost you your job if you follow their advice. I at least am telling you what you need to do to save your job. I'm sorry its not what you wanted to hear.