Driver

Black

I'm looking to become a driver and was wondering if it is difficult to drive the trucks. I can drive a manual transmittion without a problem. I have a road test on Monday, is it difficult?

T

Thebrowntruth

Diffucult to drive a truck....uh NO. A challenge to deliver 100 plus stops, signature required, in a ghetto, pulling a monster pottery barn box up 3 flights of stairs since the elevator has been out since 1975....those are a little tougher my friend. Come to think of it the truck does become a little tougher to drive after that 97th stop...Good luck on your road test

Black

I'm starting as a casual driver. Does anyone think it is a good way to get my foot in the door? Do I have a chance of getting hired full-time after the holidays?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Driving a manual shift gives you an advantage, everyone should know how, and many dont. I worried too as I was afraid backing would be my downfall.
Now I can back a monster big truck into a place it takes me 3 tries with my ///Sierra, duh. Why....because I drive it more I guess. My big ?s would be, Do you handle stress well? And are you a physical kinda person. There is also alot of organizational skill needed. Driving the truck will be the least of your worries. Good luck!!

Black

I'm very motivated to succeed at this job. I have no problems lifting heavy package. I'm in good shape, I'm just worried about getting hired after the holiday's. I'm starting as a casual. I would think this is a good way to get my foot into the door.

Adino

Preload/Unloader
It also goes towards higher pay when you do become a full time driver. So instead of making umm 15.75$ or whatever it is atm you will be making perhaps $17 or something.

teamsterdan

personally I find that anyone off the street has a huge disadvantage right out of the gate, especially not having worked a pre-load, loaded a truck, or been a dr. helper.....I agree w/ "toonertoo" driving the truck is the least of your worries............

ragu

I started as a casual a couple months ago, all you have to do is take it slow and safe on the road test an you'll be fine. The next road test at the end of your driver training is a little more intense, our trainer failed two of the guys in our 8 person class during that test (1 for stalling and 1 was just a dummy). If you've hade prior delivery experience where you've been responsible for organizing yourself and can handle stress then you should be able to adapt well. From what I've heard if your looking to stay on after peak, the situation has to be right and you would have to of had left a great impression. So far I love the job, being outside, moving around and meeting people, even all the bitter and jaded old-timers. I know the worst is to come during peak but if I make it or not it will have been a good experience and I'll have some good stories from it, hell I was attacked by a dog for the first time in my life this week.

Devilsfan666

Jersey Package Driver
I just started as a casual. As far as getting your foot in the door goes - how else are you going to get it in? I would rather work anywhere than inside a UPS hub. Look at those preloaders in the morning, they sweat their asses off and report to work at like 3am for 9 or 10 bucks an hour...F__K THAT! So, an off the street casual with no certainty of a job after Christmas is my only choice.

Once you're in the truck for one day - allowing that you can pass the road test - that truck becomes very easy to handle. You're going to work like a mad man and get questioned by the sups and managers non stop. Let it roll off and do your best. If the stars align, you'll make book.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Black

If you are excited about the job, that probably means you need the money to support yourself, and betting a family as well.

That excitement will stand you in good stead. Learning how to drive the truck is no big deal, driving it safely is another. And for the first 30 days, be extra careful. Dont leave anything to chance, and if you are not sure, park at the curb and walk the stop.

Stay focused on your job, clear your mind of personal problems when you are delivering. Nothing like a family issue to tear you up and divide your focus. Get a good nights sleep each night. Save your partying for the weekend. Being totally rested each day helps.

Also, I know that you will want to prove yourself to management. Thats good and nice. But dont do anything unsafe to show how tough you are, that will bite you big time.

Remember, this is the beginning of a 30 year race or more. For the 30 days, let your excitement and energy loose. But like any marathon runner will tell you, its not how early you take the lead, its that you finish the race. And coming in first at the end is nice. Seen too many tough guys get burned out trying to keep the pace they set in the first 30 days.

Also, learn your methods and seeing habits. If your sup does not teach you, find out from some of the senior drivers. BTW, find one that has been around a while, a good driver with a safety record, and get him to mentor you. Learn from those that do the job every day, your sup might have some knowledge, but he is approaching the job from a different angle.

One last thought. UPS can be one of the best jobs you ever had. It can also be one of the worst. While management can make life hell, your outlook on your job and how you do it counts for a lot.

d

over9five

Staff member
Keep a positive attitude. It is everything at this job.

Come to work a little early. Not to load your car, but to talk with your co-workers. A lot of us show up early just to shoot the..... talk!

Don't believe everything you hear. Especially on a discussion board! (If you want the truth, go over to Teamsternet. HA!).

After you listen to all the advice, remember.....

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!