Drivers all across the land, Managers just don't understand....

kingOFchester

It is what it is if you can't be there someone will fill in. We are all expendable and not really needed. Once you understand it and as long as you don't have an attendance problem who cares. Quit being so hard on the guy.

So bump a part timer who very well could be relying on the crumbs he can get and then call out for frivolous reasons?

Leftinbuilding

It is what it is if you can't be there someone will fill in. We are all expendable and not really needed. Once you understand it and as long as you don't have an attendance problem who cares. Quit being so hard on the guy.

If the roles were reversed......if UPS called him and said "Things have changed, we don't need you tonight", he would have screamed to high Heaven. Because they had an "agreement". Both sides. But in his mind, only one side is obligated to fulfill that "agreement". It's called integrity.

kingOFchester

Now we're relying on crumbs? But us PTers are so well off according to one of your other posts...

Touche! However, I never said that part timers are "well off". As a soon to be cover driver, just got bumped off of my bid trip, I too will be relying on crumbs. My earlier post pointed out that the base pay, including health insurance, for a part timer equates to $31.00 and change an hour. That is not to say that the part timer isn't relying on every hour they can get.

Another words, crumbs at any level are relative.

Turmlos

Touche! However, I never said that part timers are "well off". As a soon to be cover driver, just got bumped off of my bid trip, I too will be relying on crumbs. My earlier post pointed out that the base pay, including health insurance, for a part timer equates to $31.00 and change an hour. That is not to say that the part timer isn't relying on every hour they can get.

Another words, crumbs at any level are relative.
Our base pay has the potential to be $31, but that is not always the case. Many of us are single with no dependents, so the $19,000 you factored in for health care costs is a far cry from what the company is actually paying. Then again, this also could apply to drivers. But I'm getting off topic here...

I have to agree with 407 here, although I feel bragging about it on an internet forum warrants some of the responses.

kingOFchester

Our base pay has the potential to be $31, but that is not always the case. Many of us are single with no dependents, so the $19,000 you factored in for health care costs is a far cry from what the company is actually paying. Then again, this also could apply to drivers. But I'm getting off topic here...

I have to agree with 407 here, although I feel bragging about it on an internet forum warrants some of the responses.

This is true. I do not know what insurance costs for a single so can't do the calculations for that. Anyway, good luck to you.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
If the roles were reversed......if UPS called him and said "Things have changed, we don't need you tonight", he would have screamed to high Heaven. Because they had an "agreement". Both sides. But in his mind, only one side is obligated to fulfill that "agreement". It's called integrity.

Don't you dare invite him here, thank you.

Anyway, the attitude that everyone is expendable is not the case. That doesn't excuse the fact that we have a set amount of people that we need. You hurt everyone when you screw that plan up, including your co-workers. When it comes to one particular bad apple, sure...that kind of stuff gets said to them all the time. But if you are a quality performer...yes, we NEED them.

Yes, 407, it is what it is....but this guy has no room to feel that he is being 'wronged by the man' and needs to realize that his actions are the ones to question here, not his supervisor's.

Leftinbuilding

Don't you dare invite him here, thank you.

Anyway, the attitude that everyone is expendable is not the case. That doesn't excuse the fact that we have a set amount of people that we need. You hurt everyone when you screw that plan up, including your co-workers. When it comes to one particular bad apple, sure...that kind of stuff gets said to them all the time. But if you are a quality performer...yes, we NEED them.

Yes, 407, it is what it is....but this guy has no room to feel that he is being 'wronged by the man' and needs to realize that his actions are the ones to question here, not his supervisor's.

"Integrity" I promise I hesitated for quite a bit trying to think of another word. lol. Seriously, I need to figure out the "block" feature on here. (have never felt the need till now) The condescension is just too much for me. I have to think it is his "stage persona" and not his real personality. (We prob just hijacked this thread)

ibleedbrown

come on guys we have all had agreements w management at one point or another where management has backed out on us!!! he gave them 8 hours notice, give me a break. management acts like we are not that important in the big picture but now they want to act like 8 hours notice and 1 guy not showing up is going to break down the operation. i say grow some thick skin and handle the situation, LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT AND EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!!!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
come on guys we have all had agreements w management at one point or another where management has backed out on us!!! he gave them 8 hours notice, give me a break. management acts like we are not that important in the big picture but now they want to act like 8 hours notice and 1 guy not showing up is going to break down the operation. i say grow some thick skin and handle the situation, LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT AND EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!!!

Management's job isn't to cater to your every whim....there was already an adjustment made in order for him to be bumping the other guy in the first place. Now he's deviating from the plan once again. If I were to inconvenience you, it wouldn't matter if I gave you 2 hrs notice or 10 hrs notice...you would still be pissed.

Don't lose track of the point that is being made here. He makes it seem like he is being wronged, when it is HE that is the one who is out of line. An emergency is an emergency....this is not an emergency. No good manager, in their right minds, would accept a call-in for this reason. Besides, like he described...it's like he's getting away with it anyway. You cannot code a sick day in the timecard system if you have already worked at some point that day. I can't stand it when and if my guys work a morning shift, and then call in on MY shift later on that night. Can't code a call-in...just shows that they worked their 3 hours....just at a different time. It's a d-bag thing do to...I don't care how much notice is given...it doesn't change that fact.

ibleedbrown

you might not accept it but you move on, this is ups! the manager should grow a pair and deal w it. we have to deal with unexpected stuff everyday. are you telling me 8 hours is not enough time to figure it out? come on our management is brighter than that.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Last Thursday 8:30 a.m.- Manager- "Are you bumping in to Preload and Local sort all next week?"
Me "Yeah, I can do that. Want to get my hours in."
Today 9:04 a.m.- Me "Sorry, got to watch my kids tonight, my wife has a church thing going on that I forgot about."
Manager "You committed to working tonight, so you have to come in."
Me "Just put me in for a sick day."
Manager "You worked Preload so I can't put you in for a sick day for Local Sort. And I don't have anyone to fill in."
Me "Are you serious?! I'm giving you 7 1/2 hour notice that I'm unable to work the shift. You can't find anyone...how about the guy I bumped?"
Manager "If your not here at 4:30, I'm sending you a letter for undependability (sp).
Oh, how I love U.P.S.
Sup of the Day,

This is an interesting post.

In my opinion, the management person is in the wrong here, not you.

Human beings forget things, I admire that you humbly admit your error and that you take the proper responsibility to love your wife and your kids by meeting their needs.

Based upon your post, your manager needs some work on professionally handling employee relations.

Sincerely,
I

BrownArmy

looksirtrolls.jpg

Integrity

Binge Poster
"Integrity" I promise I hesitated for quite a bit trying to think of another word. lol. Seriously, I need to figure out the "block" feature on here. (have never felt the need till now) The condescension is just too much for me. I have to think it is his "stage persona" and not his real personality. (We prob just hijacked this thread)
Leftinbuilding,

Since you referenced me here I am taking the liberty of interjecting a comment.

In what way have I ever implied that I am above anybody?
I feel I am no better or worse than anyone.

Sincerely,
I

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Leftinbuilding,

Since you referenced me here I am taking the liberty of interjecting a comment.

In what way have I ever implied that I am above anybody.

I feel I am no better or worse than anyone.

Sincerely,
I

There was no question mark this time......but there is a question in there!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Normally I would agree that once you make a commitment that you should go through with it but it isn't like the OP waited until one hour prior to start time to call in. He gave his supervisor plenty of notice. I find the church story hard to believe---I think the wife wanted to go out that night---but the fact is he gave them plenty of time to find a replacement.