Drivers are Responsible for Everything Helper Does?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If my helper robbed a liquor store while I was sorting, is that my fault too ?? Oh wait never mind, expect the unexpected,yup that would be my fault !

rod

Retired 22 years
Its the "trickle down" thing. UPS always blamed me for everything so it just came natural to put all the blame on the helper. Sorry---it sucks to be low man on the totem pole.

Ouch

So upstate, if your helper goes back when he gets off and starts stealing the boxes that yall had left, are you going to jail for him? If he is walking up a driveway to del a box and is digging thru the box and stealing one jewelry or whatever and pocketing it, should you be fired?

Squint

No more work for me!
I take a page out of management's book when it comes to helpers. It's managements job to inform them of thier responsibilities concerning safety and instructions on delivery. If they choose not to follow those instructions it's not my problem, it's managements.

I agree with this statement. I remember my center manager screaming at me when I was complaining about my truck being used by another driver. He told me it was HIS truck and that they were his packages too. Using this reasoning, it would be his fault that the package didn't get delivered correctly; although I don't agree with that at all. The helper really is an extension of the driver.

Future

Victory Ride
Its the drivers responsibility to tell the helper what to do(as well as mgt's,in the helper class they all take) The drivers should watch and correct helper if they are aware of a helper mistake. If they show a unsafe work method(no handrail etc......) the driver has to correct and remind them immediately!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From the standpoint of liability...there is no way that a driver will ever be forced to pay a DR claim on a package that was delivered by a helper.

Ouch

Hey future I can answer why I disagree with you. I don't have time to watch my helper. When I used a helper a lot of times I would be delivering another stop while he was running one. I would drop my helper off at an apartment complex with a dolly and all the packages in the complex. I would send the center a message and they would let me know when he was done. I would be in the back sorting my load and selecting the next packages to be delivered. I couldn't watch what he was doing.

cino321

Dave you're out of your mind on this one. Seriously when will you realize the big picture and get a feel of the corporate culture and lack of morale this company displays on a daily basis. Honestly 3/4's of the time I read some of your posts I believe you are being arrogant and you say things because you know most people who post on this board will disagree with you.

I always get a helper who has already worked with another driver. Every time I get a helper who doesn't know how to use the DIAD I just make them carry things with me all day. Then they send someone to take the work off when I can't finish. It's so freaking frustrating when it comes to helpers, and it gets worse every year. This year they didn't send the helpers to any kind of DIAD training what so ever. They don't want to be bothered, and neither do I.

This year they had the nerve to question a driver as to why he let his helper get hurt after his helper slipped and fell. As if the driver had anything to do with any of this. Then they handed out some type of helper manual to the drivers and wanted us to go over it with the helper.

I can do a lot. I can offer advice on how to handle the DIAD, how to deliver certain packages or stops, how to maneuver with packages, how to work safely, but a babysitter I am not. Every year the work load increases, but the tools to the job get flimsier.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the standpoint of liability...there is no way that a driver will ever be forced to pay a DR claim on a package that was delivered by a helper.
I agree and which brings up something I saw posted earlier in another thread.
The poster (driver) said he never bothered with separate DIADs, that he and helper used the same DIAD.
I would not let someone else use my DIAD because I now very potentially become responsible for that package.

gingerkat

The last week I've not had my own diad, so I've used my drivers. But he trusts me 100%. If there ever is a situation that looks a little sketchy, I actually take pictures with my cell phone for my own benefit and his.

I delivered two boxes, but it was showing only one. I noticed that the labels were exactly the same and asked the lady to opened the boxes and examine contents (I told her she would no doubt get charged anyway). Shipper for some reason split contents into two boxes, but used same number. I took pictures of labels, thanked her and took back to driver.

I personally would not allow him to take any responsibility for something I did. I would absolutely step up and admit any fault. With that being said, I have worked with some less than honest drivers this year and I wouldn't take fault for something I didn't do either.

C

chuchu

The purpose would be discussion of the topic on hand.

There are those drivers, such as bubblehead, who feel that the helper works alone and any concerns/complaints/DFU's caused by the helper are his/her fault.

There are those drivers, such as myself, who feel that they are 100% responsible for every aspect of the helper's job.

I have had one Peak DFU thus far. It was sheeted in the helper DIAD. The consignee claimed to be missing a pair of boots; however, the delivery was actually 3 large packages full of personal stuff for a college apartment. There was no separate package that contained only a pair of boots. I recalled the delivery and completed the DFU as positive even though the consignee was back home on break. The OMS then followed up with the consignee who confirmed receipt of 3 packages. The funny part is that the consignee did not claim non-receipt of all 3 packages but just for a pair of boots. Sounds like Mommy or Daddy forgot to pack them and Junior was trying to get us to buy him a new pair.

The point I was trying to make is that even though the delivery was sheeted in the helper's DIAD we actually made the delivery together. There is no way that I would try to put this on him.
Who cares about this redundant argument? It's going nowhere and therefore a waste of thread space.

rod

Retired 22 years
Who cares about this redundant argument? It's going nowhere and therefore a waste of thread space.

That could be said of just about everything posted on the Brown Cafe---------but it would be awfully damn boring on here without all that arguing.