Drivers are Responsible for Everything Helper Does?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How does a driver ever get ever get forced to pay a DR claim???

If a claim is filed on a missing package worth over $100, and if the company can prove that the driver clearly and unequivocally violated established DR procedures, the driver can be made to pay for the claim. It is not usually an easy thing for the company to prove; I am aware of only a handful of such cases in our 200-driver building during the 27 years that I have been here, and none of them involved a helper or happened during peak season.

rod

Retired 22 years
If a claim is filed on a missing package worth over $100, and if the company can prove that the driver clearly and unequivocally violated established DR procedures, the driver can be made to pay for the claim. It is not usually an easy thing for the company to prove; I am aware of only a handful of such cases in our 200-driver building during the 27 years that I have been here, and none of them involved a helper or happened during peak season.

I had to buy a $50 radio one time that the some sleezeballs said they never got. In the long run I got my $50 worth of revenge. Pay backs are hell.

soberups

I agree and which brings up something I saw posted earlier in another thread.
The poster (driver) said he never bothered with separate DIADs, that he and helper used the same DIAD.
I would not let someone else use my DIAD because I now very potentially become responsible for that package.

It is an established, common practice for the company to hire helpers without giving them any DIAD training at all.

It is also an established and common practice for the company to require the driver to enter some arbitrary number of stops in the helper DIAD in order to meet a quota, regardless of whether or not the helper even used that DIAD at all. Futhermore, it is routine for a driver to prerecord multiple stops into a DIAD and then send the helper off with the stops and the DIAD to get signatures while the driver then makes deliveries himself with the other DIAD.

Given these facts, it would be virtually impossible for the company to hold a driver financially liable for a DR claim if its argument was based upon which DIAD was used to scan that package.

soberups

I had to buy a $50 radio one time that the some sleezeballs said they never got. In the long run I got my $50 worth of revenge. Pay backs are hell.

When did this happen, and did you invoke the grievance procedure or just agree to pay it?

I ask this because the contract states that under no circumstances will the driver ever have to pay a claim for an item worth less than $100.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last week I've not had my own diad, so I've used my drivers. But he trusts me 100%. If there ever is a situation that looks a little sketchy, I actually take pictures with my cell phone for my own benefit and his.

I delivered two boxes, but it was showing only one. I noticed that the labels were exactly the same and asked the lady to opened the boxes and examine contents (I told her she would no doubt get charged anyway). Shipper for some reason split contents into two boxes, but used same number. I took pictures of labels, thanked her and took back to driver.

I personally would not allow him to take any responsibility for something I did. I would absolutely step up and admit any fault. With that being said, I have worked with some less than honest drivers this year and I wouldn't take fault for something I didn't do either.

What you should have done is sheeted the first package, completed the stop, sheeted the second package as a duplicate stop and completed that one. This would more accurately show what happened and would allow the company to bill the shipper for the second package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When they are either

A) spineless lapdogs...
Or
B) haven't yet made book and are at the mercy of the company.

A) I can assure that this is not the case.

B) See above.

Could it be that there are drivers who don't like to hide behind the contract and are willing to take responsibility when they don't follow the methods?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It all depends on HOW you define "helper". The company thinks one working independently with their own diad is a helper. Others disagree. I'm one of them.

upschuck

I delivered two boxes, but it was showing only one. I noticed that the labels were exactly the same and asked the lady to opened the boxes and examine contents (I told her she would no doubt get charged anyway). Shipper for some reason split contents into two boxes, but used same number. I took pictures of labels, thanked her and took back to driver.
Usually this happens when those two boxes were banded together, and the band broke. The shipper put the same label on both boxes so we would know were the second box would go to, instead of overgoods. Then again, there are shippers who just want to cheat UPS whenever possible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Usually this happens when those two boxes were banded together, and the band broke. The shipper put the same label on both boxes so we would know were the second box would go to, instead of overgoods. Then again, there are shippers who just want to cheat UPS whenever possible.

I have seen this where the shipper has faxed the label to the consignee and they make copies of the fax for all of the pkgs in the shipment.

upschuck

I have seen this where the shipper has faxed the label to the consignee and they make copies of the fax for all of the pkgs in the shipment.
I've refused to take packages like that, and explain to the shipper that if one of those packages gets delivered, then they will all show being delivered, and for their protection all need different numbers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Every package should have a different tracking number. If the shipper tries to save money (and cheat UPS) and one of packages with same tracking number doesn't get delivered then tough luck for them. UPS will show that package being delivered and no claims would be paid on other packages with same tracking number.

gingerkat

It was one of those weird things where your spidey senses just go up. The woman looked confused at first then like she hit the bingo with two identical boxes from the disney store.

My driver is probably the most honest and respectable driver I've met so far and I wanted to be 100% sure for our team effort. I took pictures of identical tracking numbers & boxes and showed him. I let him do what he needed to do on the diad when I got back.

I have a live scan on me, so I definitely can't afford to have any suspicious or any sort of charges brought about on me. I keep things 100% honest.

oldngray

nowhere special
It was one of those weird things where your spidey senses just go up. The woman looked confused at first then like she hit the bingo with two identical boxes from the disney store.

My driver is probably the most honest and respectable driver I've met so far and I wanted to be 100% sure for our team effort. I took pictures of identical tracking numbers & boxes and showed him. I let him do what he needed to do on the diad when I got back.

I have a live scan on me, so I definitely can't afford to have any suspicious or any sort of charges brought about on me. I keep things 100% honest.

When I had 2 packages with same tracking number I would manually enter the shipper number on the second one (no 1Z ) and enter last 3 digits of tracking number as ID #, then make a note in remarks column. That way there is some record of the extra package.

gingerkat

Helper question for the first day: "What's a DIAD board?".
At orientation the "diad" was never even mentioned this year. I can imagine all the brand new seasonal helpers that almost :censored2: themselves when they saw that beast that was handed to them. This is a big mistake on the part of HR.

You drivers should sit in on the info & orientation session just to see what little information is given. If correct info was given, helpers would probably just walk out the door.

reh303

At orientation the "diad" was never even mentioned this year. I can imagine all the brand new seasonal helpers that almost :censored2: themselves when they saw that beast that was handed to them. This is a big mistake on the part of HR.

Same thing happened to me on my first day. "You know how to use the DIAD right?" The driver was not pleased when I didn't...I didn't even know that it was called a DIAD. He spent about thirty seconds training me on it and then left me in a neighborhood with a hand truck. Trial by fire.

You drivers should sit in on the info & orientation session just to see what little information is given. If correct info was given, helpers would probably just walk out the door.

Our orientation was mostly videos about how not to hurt yourself.

gingerkat

It is sad! I wish I could go in and train those newbies at orientation on the diad and on safety. I don't think reading a book or sitting behind a desk is accurate. Trust me, it's scary when it's brand new.

oldngray

nowhere special
If they teach anything on a DIAD its just scan barcode and DR. Nothing about signature stops or anything more complicated.

gingerkat

If they teach anything on a DIAD its just scan barcode and DR. Nothing about signature stops or anything more complicated.
If it were that easy… now they want to dump you on the street to be on your own.

How many times did the bar code get covered by the pal or by that stupid plastic thing and it wouldn't read? The person that taught me to use the Find BC was actually Dave, last year on this forum, not my driver.

I would get frustrated because I couldn't get back to my original screen. Never was taught to use the void or back button. I would press every button and get even more upset. Writing a notice and scanning seems easy, but not to a newbie. I even got that crazy thing with the BIN number (what the hell was that?). What about when no info is in the system? This year I just figured it out myself, and started manually entering. But then again this is my second year and I wasn't afraid to do it.

I think a basic training about the board and functions with a little booklet could really help. Putting a helper out there and expecting a busy driver to explain is ridiculous for both parties. But that is why I did so good this year with each driver. I didn't need to be taught, I'm fast and good with people.