Drivers are Responsible for Everything Helper Does?

JackStraw

Last I looked, helpers are employed by UPS. While I do agree it's up to me to babysit, in no way will I be held accountable for anything he does. They hired him not me.

Everyone who is anyone teamster knows that you NEVER sign anything at UPS. Period.

Have to sign the diad, DVIR everyday. Have to sign bid sheets, transfer lists, DOT card, etc. you can't work at UPS without signing these basics.

rod

Retired 22 years
Or you could write "I don't agree with this" and sign if its Friday and you want to get the heck out of Dodge.

Ouch

How do you figure that you are hiding behind a contract to protect your employment. You can do absolutely everything by the book and know that a customer received the goods. Then what? You going to just give your hard earned money to the company. When I say hard earned I'm talking about the wage the union negotiated for you. You really don't think ups would pay you that much per hour if the union was not their negotiating it? What if you follow all your safety procedures and someone rear ends you and ups tries to charge you when you could have done nothing to prevent it? Are you going to "hide" behind the contract? You hide I will prosper, and enjoy the fact I have a union that is actually protecting my rights as an employee.

Yes, basics is the key word. Other than that, I wouldn't sign anything.

Doesn't matter if you sign your U6135 or not. Say you get written up for not unloading a nda. Your signature/initials only show it was reviewed with you. RTS (refuse to sign) shows poor character.

JackStraw

Everyone who is anyone teamster knows that you NEVER sign anything at UPS. Period.
I've been here over 20 years and have always signed everything. What's the big deal? Maybe a steward can answer this. Have they ever whipped out a signed cert. and said "Well Jack, looks like we got you here. Seems you signed this paper that you would follow our procedures. Nice knowing you son, have a good one". I've never seen it happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our BA told us yesterday never to sign anything. When I asked him if we would still be expected to comply with whatever directive was on the paper he was at a loss for words.

upschuck

I've been here over 20 years and have always signed everything. What's the big deal? Maybe a steward can answer this. Have they ever whipped out a signed cert. and said "Well Jack, looks like we got you here. Seems you signed this paper that you would follow our procedures. Nice knowing you son, have a good one". I've never seen it happen.
A lot more of the training is going through the DIAD now, does that mean when you sign for the COD's that you are also signing for training taken through that board. Even if it doesn't they still can say you acknowledged and have taken different certifications.