drivers don't get help with over 70s anymore?

tourists24

This was asked above but not answered--how would you sheet it?
outamyway said to use "other, other, over 70" I would advise against using that, as using "other, other" will get you a chat with my center manager and a piece of paper in your file. So, how would you sheet it?

My advice would be to let management know in advance that if help is not sent, pkg will be missed. A driver needs to use his "good faith" judgement in this decision. We are talking safety so I say when in doubt, call for help. I never advise asking customer for help (liability), of course thats a choice each driver will have to make.

outamyway

outamyway said to use "other, other, over 70" I would advise against using that, as using "other, other" will get you a chat with my center manager and a piece of paper in your file. So, how would you sheet it?

There is a section marked "over 70' I think you have to push big arrow down in the other screen. If we aren't suppose to use it, why is it in the board?

DorkHead

After working preload, my center needed me to do a bit of driving for them on friday. As my day was winding down at around 15:30, i still had 3 or 4 stops left. My center manager had instructed me to go run these "shags" and try and be back and punched out by 16:00. At sometime around 15:30, i get a text message from my center telling me to call such and such driver and set up a meet point to go help him with two over 70 packages he had.

It`s in the contract to request for help AND it`s up to management to arrange the meeting with the other driver, not you.

I have never had a problem delivering an O70. But if I did I would use not in or not ready because I made a fair attempt to deliver it.

tourists24

Which would warrant an even more urgent and one-sided chat with the center manager, at least my center manager.

I dont know how big your center is, but mine has about 100 drivers. If there were a real issue with a driver and on car getting into it about an over 70, I will usually tell the driver to stick to his guns but request to speak to the center manager at that time. No matter what happens after that point, it cant be an integrity issue. The worst that can happen is failure to follow instructions which, from what Ive seen, would never hold up if the driver was acting in good faith. If you have a driver trying to stick it to the company on purpose that may be one thing; but if a driver honestly feels unsafe, it would never hold up.

New Englander

You would sheet it as missed. You didn't deliver it.

Trust me...sheet it as missed and you will get help to deliver it the following day.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Personally, I am more concerned with the original poster being a pre-loader that went on the road for the whole day. Just another example of needing more full-time jobs. Part-timers are always willing to do what they can for more hours, but this should be stopped. Add more full-time jobs. Remember August 4th,1997???

tourists24

Thanks, but no thanks. Nothing personal, but I sheet it as missed and I will get a lot more than help the following day.
What is it that will happen the next day Upstate? Sounds like your type of center manager...lol. Just curious, what are the alternatives if you cant get it delivered?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call the center, they come get the pkg, they deliver it.

It's just so much easier if I deliver it.

I'm sorry if I am coming off as a PITA but some of the advice given here on this topic may get someone in trouble. I don't care if I have to drag the damn pkg up 2 flights of stairs, it is going upstairs and right by their door if their not home.

BTW, you are half right--my center manager and I do share some of the same beliefs re: work but we have far different ways of getting our points across.

New Englander

Call the center, they come get the pkg, they deliver it.

It's just so much easier if I deliver it.

I'm sorry if I am coming off as a PITA but some of the advice given here on this topic may get someone in trouble. I don't care if I have to drag the damn pkg up 2 flights of stairs, it is going upstairs and right by their door if their not home.

BTW, you are half right--my center manager and I do share some of the same beliefs re: work but we have far different ways of getting our points across.

The advice was what to do. It's all about integrity and honesty. Nothing works BUT sheeting it as missed. It wasn't delivered, it was missed.

If you honestly couldn't get it delivered due to it's weight AND you asked for help with none given. It's a missed and it sits in the same spot in your package car. You CAN NOT get in trouble if you follow the methods and procedures. They may bitch and moan but come on here.

Though I've never seen in 5 years anyone call and ask for help nor not deliver anything due to weight.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Sheet It As Missed!! Then let your center manager explain to his boss why he couldn't get you your contractual bargaining unit help in servicing this over 70 package. I don't solicit my customers for help. Are they trained in how to handle these packages. Do they no about the power zone. Is that what they paid for. Ask for help, now the ball is in managements court. Also in these situations when I dig my heals in I find it prudent to cover myself. Get some kind of witness. Have another driver, steward, business agent, call also on your behalf so there is no avenue of denial for your lazy, slacker, lying managers. There has been no change in the language regarding help for over 70's for any worker.

It's a shame but it's just a game. Be a player.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
After working preload, my center needed me to do a bit of driving for them on friday. As my day was winding down at around 15:30, i still had 3 or 4 stops left. My center manager had instructed me to go run these "shags" and try and be back and punched out by 16:00. At sometime around 15:30, i get a text message from my center telling me to call such and such driver and set up a meet point to go help him with two over 70 packages he had.

Longer story shortened, I ended up meeting up with him to help with these two heavy packages and then I had to hustle back to building and punch out afterwards. ( I had 4 missed stops because they told me to go help him. )

As I was helping this guy, he was explaining to me that our center is trying to convince him that "drivers getting help for over 70 packages (from other drivers and what not)" is no longer in the contract. Anyone heard this too?

Here we go again. As a preloader or 22/3, whatever you are, you aren't supposed to be out doing the work of full time service providers. When this happens it needs to be grieved plain and simple. Did you get paid full time top scale for those extra hours? You are entitled.

I fear this is a nationwide epidemic and we need to wake up and put a stop to it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WalMart, with its Ship to Store program, has been receiving over 70s for quite some time, which is not a big deal, but the receiving clerk at our local store should really be home babysitting her grandchildren so delivering these pkgs is all on me, to include not only getting them off the car and on to their dock but moving them to where she wants them. Did I mention I love WalMart?
At our Walmart, they have at least 2 and sometimes 3 people out sorting their deliveries. All we have to do is get it to the back of the truck.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Personally, I am more concerned with the original poster being a pre-loader that went on the road for the whole day. Just another example of needing more full-time jobs. Part-timers are always willing to do what they can for more hours, but this should be stopped. Add more full-time jobs. Remember August 4th,1997???

yeah- my primary job is part-time preloader. my secondary job is full-time cover (when my center needs me). on friday my center needed an extra guy to run a few air stops so i suited up and went out on road. i never plan on them using me all day because sometimes its just air and sometimes they need me to run shags. mostly lately though just air. my center manager just happened to have a 2 zip codes close by the building that she needed someone to run shags for and asked me to run them when i got back from air.
i agree though- if they are having so many problems with the shags they should offer more full-time jobs or start the preload earlier so the part-timers will have time to get all the packages loaded.

outamyway

Here we go again. As a preloader or 22/3, whatever you are, you aren't supposed to be out doing the work of full time service providers. When this happens it needs to be grieved plain and simple. Did you get paid full time top scale for those extra hours? You are entitled.

I fear this is a nationwide epidemic and we need to wake up and put a stop to it.

Would you rather a sup do it?

The problem is bad planning. It will be happening here soon. The vacations with be starting and they will have just enough cover drivers to cover for the drivers on vacation. If someone calls in though, there will be no one to cover for that driver. Last summer there was one Friday where 13 drivers in the whole building called in(How do you even plan for that). There were also a lot of drivers on vacation at the time. Almost all the air drivers and a few sups took a car out. It was a mess.

You can't grieve it if there is no one there to grieve it. If there are no full timers there to cover a route, then you can't grieve it if a part timer takes the work. On the other hand, if none of the part timers were asked and a sup takes the route out, then it can be grieved.

There should always be some extra cover drivers available but it doesn't always happen. I'd rather see a part timer do the work than a supervisor.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken

yes- my center pays me full wage all day for all of the days that this has happened. that is including my preload hours.

my primary classification as stated above is part-time preload. last summer i completed my 30 day driver progression for "temporary cover driver." this entitles me to drive for my center to cover holidays/sick days/vacations on an as needed basis. i do not gain or accrue full-time seniority, but i get some great experience for when i do go full time and i will not have to go through another 30 day progression.