Drivers Fired (Air Issues)

UPSGUY72

We have had 2 drivers in are Local Fired in the last couple of weeks for issues with Air packages. The first driver was an idiot he was going to have 2 late Air packages and scanned and signed for both a couple of miles away from both stops than delivered them later. The most recent driver scanned a package Ni1 at 9:29 and than at 9:36 delivered the package again. He got caught because it came up on a report.

I sure both driver will get there jobs back but why go thought the hassle jsut let the Air be late.

UPS is starting to crack down on driver that are trying to get around the system and not have late Air. This is do to the lawsuit that FedEX and there denial of refunds for thousand of late Airs they say where do to security reason.

If your going to have late Air just let it be late and keep your job. We where told by are Union steward and BA don't hold it in the DIAD, or scan them not in, ETC. It is what it is. Late.

As my building Manager said in the past your could do a lot of things and never get caught. But know with the DIAD, GPS, and telematics those days are over.

cino321

What's up with the second driver scanning it NI1 at 9:29 and delivering it at 9:36? It was 7 minutes later. It's not late any way look at it. I don't see what he got terminated for.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
the drivers are probably scared that they are going to get screamed or a warning letter for having a late air....the company is planting this seed in the drivers head. The driver then thinks they are doing the company a favor or dont want to get in trouble...stupid indeed. I blame the company to a certain extent on this but youll have to keep us informed if these two get their jobs back..highly doubt it in todays hostile climate.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I tell my center manager before I leave the building if I think I'm going to have late air. Then it's his problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I deliver late air all the time. When it prompts me for a late air reason I type in "X" for "other". I then message the center and inform them "late air at (address) due to impossible dispatch." Problem solved. If they want it to be on time they will dispatch it properly; if they just want to get it out of the building in order to meet their stops-per-car quota then thats OK too, I will deliver it as soon as I can and the customer can get a refund.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I deliver late air all the time. When it prompts me for a late air reason I type in "X" for "other". I then message the center and inform them "late air at (address) due to impossible dispatch." Problem solved. If they want it to be on time they will dispatch it properly; if they just want to get it out of the building in order to meet their stops-per-car quota then thats OK too, I will deliver it as soon as I can and the customer can get a refund.

The difference between you and the drivers in question is you have 20+ years of experience while they probably have less than 10. I do disagree with your "problem solved" statement as the problem is not solved until the customer gets what they have paid for. Customers don't want a refund--they want their stuff there on time.

Sheeting NDA at 10:29 as NI1 and then delivering it at 10:36 is just asking for trouble. Our district, as I'm sure all others do, has a person who is tasked with monitoring NDA issues such as this one. We also have a person who monitors 12-1 and after 5 issues. I had a NI1 between 12-1 and received an ODS asking if it was residential or commercial.

With all of the technology in place it amazes me that people still take shortcuts. Deliver the air first (along with the ground if possible) and then deliver the ground. Do not deliver any ground if you think you may have late air. If you have too much air or think you will have late air tell someone before you leave the building--if they don't adjust the dispatch then deliver air only and let the chips fall where they may.

bigbrownhen

Sometimes stuff just happens.....stuck at a train, traffic accident, customer delays. You leave thinking you have enough time but end up with late air. I've had to explain why a few times over the years. The little tricks we had in the past are no more. If it's late, so be it. The last time I had an issue with late air, I took responsability of trying to run a few ground with my air(customer met me on route), but also that I had to cover another driver's air along with mine, so I was spread too thin. Sure enough, that was the last time I carried air stops so spread out.....hmmmm, wonder why. I had complained about it for awhile, but nothing was done about it until there was a few late ones. If(some) managers would listen instead of just thinking we are whinning, then alot of problems would be solved.

There have been a few times I have sheeted air as NI1, then a few minutes later went back by and delivered it. Customer had left for a bit to run an errand. If this is the case, then GPS would help us prove we were there on time. Just sitting in the office monitoring service on a computer doesn't always give the whole story.

The difference between you and the drivers in question is you have 20+ years of experience while they probably have less than 10. I do disagree with your "problem solved" statement as the problem is not solved until the customer gets what they have paid for. Customers don't want a refund--they want their stuff there on time.

Sheeting NDA at 10:29 as NI1 and then delivering it at 10:36 is just asking for trouble. Our district, as I'm sure all others do, has a person who is tasked with monitoring NDA issues such as this one. We also have a person who monitors 12-1 and after 5 issues. I had a NI1 between 12-1 and received an ODS asking if it was residential or commercial.

With all of the technology in place it amazes me that people still take shortcuts. Deliver the air first (along with the ground if possible) and then deliver the ground. Do not deliver any ground if you think you may have late air. If you have too much air or think you will have late air tell someone before you leave the building--if they don't adjust the dispatch then deliver air only and let the chips fall where they may.

You're right that Sober's method doesn't solve the problem, it just places it in the proper hands, but Sober's problem is solved.
I think Sober's approach is spot on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

It still amazes me that they put so much effort into issues like not in or closed between 12&1 rather than making it impossible within the diad programing. Just one of many examples of the company being more interested in treating symptoms rather than solving problems.

+1 as usual sober is spot on. I think this approach is what you have to do in a real world(life) center. You know a real world NO $h|+s and giggles center.

You're right that Sober's method doesn't solve the problem, it just places it in the proper hands, but Sober's problem is solved.
I think Sober's approach is spot on.
+1 great advice you have to put it on them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It still amazes me that they put so much effort into issues like not in or closed between 12&1 rather than making it impossible within the diad programing. Just one of many examples of the company being more interested in treating symptoms rather than solving problems.

I do not agree with altering the DIAD to not allow deliveries between noon and 1. I am in delivery mode at that point and can bang off 25-30 stops in that hour. We are adults and if we are instructed to not have NI or CLO for commercial deliveries between noon and 1 and we do then we should be held responsible for those and be dealt with accordingly.

Last week we had this same discussion during the PCM--no noon to 1 or after 5's yet the same day we had a driver with one of each.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I do not agree with altering the DIAD to not allow deliveries between noon and 1. I am in delivery mode at that point and can bang off 25-30 stops in that hour. We are adults and if we are instructed to not have NI or CLO for commercial deliveries between noon and 1 and we do then we should be held responsible for those and be dealt with accordingly.

Last week we had this same discussion during the PCM--no noon to 1 or after 5's yet the same day we had a driver with one of each.
Wouldn't altering the DIAD to prevent these "abuses" help drivers by circumventing a lot of unnecessary discipline? Granted, a few might be inconvenienced, but for the greater good of the whole group? I think it should be part of the contract. Not that it will be followed by them.