Drivers going down.

Indecisi0n

When you sweat that much you are losing electrolytes so just water won't be enough to keep you going on these really hot days.

It surprising how many people do not know this. It's vital to consume at least one sports drink throughout the day. I try to drink one in the morning before I start sweating heavily then again one at 5-6:00 when I have an 8:30 eta.

trickpony1

It surprising how many people do not know this. It's vital to consume at least one sports drink throughout the day. I try to drink one in the morning before I start sweating heavily then again one at 5-6:00 when I have an 8:30 eta.

Try to find other ways to replenish your electrolytes.
One of the most abundant ingredients in most popular sports drinks is high fructose corn syrup which is crap and not easily assimilated by the body.
Your nearest health food store may have some alternatives.

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Try to find other ways to replenish your electrolytes.
One of the most abundant ingredients in most popular sports drinks is high fructose corn syrup which is crap and not easily assimilated by the body.
Your nearest health food store may have some alternatives.

HFCS is garbage. Powerade is loaded with it.. but Gatorade/Vitamin Water/LifeWater, etc. are fine. Sobe's Coconut Water is great. You can also cut your water with 1/2 apple juice or orange juice to help. I see guys chugging Pepsi and Mountain Dew during the sort and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Also watch the beer during the week.. when it's like this, I don't even want to drink if I have to work the next day.

Overpaid Union Thug

The key to hydration is starting the day before and also in the hours leading up to starting work. I keep a cooler full of bottled water and ice in the truck and I'm always sipping from a bottle in between stops whether I'm thirsty or not. I've been wearing moisture wicking undershirts lately and have never wore shirts that need to be tucked in. The heat needs to escape. That's also why I don't wear a hat and wear sunglasses instead. Lunch time can be dangerous. If you eat heavy meals with allot of grease then you're asking for trouble. That's why I grab a small snack to eat on throughout the morning so that I won't eat much of a lunch. And since we are all working late hours I do the same in the PM so that I won't be starving when I get home and eat my dinner at 8:30.

​ So, basically......I'm always sipping on water (and one Gatorade about halfway through the day) and munching on snacks throughout the day to stay hydrated and avoid undershirts that have to be tucked in and hats because they both trap in heat.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Heat stroke yesterday for a small sort employee. Of course there's practically no ventilation in our fatally-flawed building design and UPS will not run overhead vents during sorts. The temperature was around 95 degrees in-building, and 88 degrees at 4am this morning (I have a thermometer). I believe the injured/sick person were okay but paramedics were called...not sure though. Was a FT employee, and hope he is okay.

Keep up that PPH, though...

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We had one hub worker taken away by ambulance last night. It was easily the hottest day of the week long heatwave we've been in here in Mass. Absolutely amazing that more didn't go down.
​Shifting was just nasty.
Sorry, I basically rehashed your post, but yeah it was a bad day/night.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I'm used to the heat, but this week has been rougher than usual. Maybe I'm getting old idk. This photo was about noon yesterday, taken in Chelmsford. Hope your coworker is ok.
image.jpg

over9five

Staff member
I'm used to the heat, but this week has been rougher than usual. Maybe I'm getting old idk. This photo was about noon yesterday, taken in Chelmsford. Hope your coworker is ok.
Think of that 100 degrees. NOW think of an enclosed building. NOW think of being upstairs in the small sort.
Bet it was 20 degrees warmer up there.

I'll add that Feeders was pushing ice cold water bottles onto the shifter drivers, that was great!
​Not sure if everyone was getting it...

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Think of that 100 degrees. NOW think of an enclosed building. NOW think of being upstairs in the small sort.
Bet it was 20 degrees warmer up there.

I'll add that Feeders was pushing ice cold water bottles onto the shifter drivers, that was great!
​Not sure if everyone was getting it...
I've been there & agree, it's hell. I've been stuck loading a trailer that's baked in the sun all day. I know what it's like.
I actually stopped the brownie making a delivery next door to my house & gave him 2 bottles of cold water. That guy didn't look so good.
Makes people do crazy :censored2: too. Wife saw a guy sitting along route 3, just sitting there. Makes you wonder what that was about. She called police, already on their way.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
HFCS is garbage. Powerade is loaded with it.. but Gatorade/Vitamin Water/LifeWater, etc. are fine. Sobe's Coconut Water is great. You can also cut your water with 1/2 apple juice or orange juice to help. I see guys chugging Pepsi and Mountain Dew during the sort and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Also watch the beer during the week.. when it's like this, I don't even want to drink if I have to work the next day.

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup - nasty on the body

------

This qualifies for the ick factor but it is true and helpful...

Watch the color of your Urine.
This is an easy way to monitor your hydration level.

Dark Urine - increase intake of water / liquids.
You want your urine to be clear, like water.

Indecisi0n

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup - nasty on the body

------

This qualifies for the ick factor but it is true and helpful...

Watch the color of your Urine.
This is an easy way to monitor your hydration level.

Dark Urine - increase intake of water / liquids.
You want your urine to be clear, like water.

​Cant go by this if you take medication/multi vitamins.

MR UPS1

Yep was a very hot on Friday They took out routes and put 30 -40 stops more in the truck and that added to an extra 100 pieces I dont get it ( was told water fixes everything ) Second thing I dont get is why we do not have fans in the new trucks The post office has them The school bus drivers have them ( they only in the buses for only a few hours a day) It at least keeps your face dry and helps you not look like you just come out of the pool I was told we can not have a fan installed due to the trucks bursting in to flames Its madness I tell you Its an epedemic