Driver's Helper

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
In my supplement, it states that regular, inside employee have first crack at helping positions and get to pick assignments by seniority. However, that never happens. Drivers typically get to pick their helpers, and management will typically pick its favorites to perform cushy jobs (e.g. malls). This is a battle I choose night to fight, since forcing yourself to work with a driver who doesn't want to work with you (nothing personal - he just wants to work with his kid) just doesn't end well. Despite the contract language. And despite the fact that they'll be the 1st ones to come on here and b!$ch the second they feel slightest by the contract. BUG says it best -- people only care about the contract when it benefits them.

We use to have a 12 hour per day restriction but that was lifted a few years ago... I've generally worked 70-80 M-friend and it's miserable, you'll hate it and yourself more. But it does pay off financially.

I'll also drop a few lbs., by virtue of not eating when I'm active (makes me ill). But 50 lbs.? Gotta be a big boy to lose that kinda weight in a few weeks...

wetleg

I was a driver helper last year and my driver told me that most inside people who work during peak as helpers are generally useless because they wear down during the shift. He had to kick 3 to the curb before he got me.

If your driver likes you he doesn't want to lose you so you can work out where it's just the two of you who communicate daily and you cut out the middle man. I arranged with my driver last year that I would meet him at the same time and spot everyday unless he called me and let me know otherwise. It worked out perfectly and the coordinators are quite happy that they have one less driver to have to worry about daily.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Here if your an inside person you can work as many hours as you want. However most people drop by week 2 from trying to work both shifts. At some point your body just won't do it anymore.

PT Car Washer

60 hours is more than enough, 47.50 hours can be painful in a week. I believe if you're working 2 shifts, you need 10 hours off before starting the next day.
Non driving, working inside the building there are no DOT HOS regulations. Only UPS policy and if UPS allows PT sups to violate that policy to avoid paying OT to Union hourlies that would be a legitimate grievances.

HardknocksUPSer

60 hours is more than enough, 47.50 hours can be painful in a week. I believe if you're working 2 shifts, you need 10 hours off before starting the next day.
I got 55-60hrs on average a week all throughout peak, every week, by the end of peak my legs were giving out on me and I was dangerously tired and sleep deprived from continuos weeks of working like that. On the very last week of peak on a Friday I slept in one morning, my preload sup called me 10mins after start time asking where I was at, told him I had slept in. First and last time I've ever slept in, I had taken pain medicine the night before and went to bed and didn't hear my alarm.

HardknocksUPSer

Also lost 50lbs throughout peak, now I'm in the best shape of my life, legs are killing me everyday but other than that, I can't complain.

Box Ox

soch5.jpg