Drivers Helpers Overtime?

Elixsor

Started at the end of this week as a helper and the driver said to expect 12 hour days for the week before Christmas at least.

As a seasonal employee do you still get paid an overtime rate for hours over 40?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Started at the end of this week as a helper and the driver said to expect 12 hour days for the week before Christmas at least.

As a seasonal employee do you still get paid an overtime rate for hours over 40?

Your driver is limited to 60 hours per week by the DOT. I would be very surprised if you are on the car for more than 8 hours each day but, yes, you would get OT for any hours over 40.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, that would be ugly. We used to have to share helpers. Help one driver for a couple of hours, another driver for a few. Could add up to 8 doing it that way.

We have had helpers who would also help out a couple of drivers each day. Our center manager would throw a fit if any helper got OT.

Elixsor

I can't imagine a dispatch that would require having a helper for 8 hours or more.

Yeah I was kind of surprised as originally it sounded like it would almost be rare to even get a full 8 hours but the last two days I have done the entire route and was told to just plan on doing the full days all the way through.

Thanks for the info, will be interesting to see what happens.

UPSGUY72

I can't imagine a dispatch that would require having a helper for 8 hours or more.

The helper would have to meet the driver at the building than he just be in the way when you got your air businesses off in the moring. I do a route that is averaging 250 stops and 375 packages a day somedays the back of the P1000 is jamed full. I have try to have 100 stops and most of my business done before I pick up my helper at 1:00, that leave us around 150 stops which takes around 4 1/2 to 5 hrs depending on how good the loader did his job.

I don't think think it is possible to jam enough packages is a package car for a 12 hr day with a helper all day. unless they are all letters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My highest dispatch thus far has been 192 stops with 543 packages and I used my helper 4.99 hours. He works on the metro so he has to be off the car NLT 1530 which would put him at 5.99 hours.

My helper had more OT last week than I did.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He works on the metro so he has to be off the car NLT 1530 which would put him at 5.99 hours.

My helper had more OT last week than I did.

I have the same problem here. My eighth Helper is a Sorter on the Twilight Sort and I can only work him from 10:30 to 4:30 so I can let him go. We usually completely empty the package car by then if I'm under 200 stops. My worst day so far was Thursday, when an extra Peak route was cut out and I had 226 stops. They just threw 60 stops in the back of my car with a messed up EDD right before start time.

johnoutdoors

My helper has had OT a half dozen times already this year. Heaviest day so far 293 + pick ups. They figure its better to pay him OT than me. Im suprprised thats not an edict from on high, $12.75 is better for them than $45.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They did their job, it was on the truck!

I think I invented some new cuss words that day, I'm amazed at how fast I work when I get pissed off. My helper was over two hours late meeting me, I had 91 stops off by myself by 12:45. I got the last stop off that day at 6:00PM, only day I delivered in the dark and got an hour of overtime.

Magnus

My helper has had OT a half dozen times already this year. Heaviest day so far 293 + pick ups. They figure its better to pay him OT than me. Im suprprised thats not an edict from on high, $12.75 is better for them than $45.
Our Center is pulling just the opposite this Peak. Instead of keeping a Helper on for the rest of the run (the last 40 stops we could belt out together in a mere hour) at $8.50, they would rather kick the Helper off to keep them at 3.59 hours (because somebody is making that look good on paper somewhere), necessitating a break off-route of 20 minutes of pure wasted time... and then when they're gone, have the Driver finish it off him/herself in the dark for an ADDITIONAL hour on that would-have-been single hour left of work if we'd been left to do it in TANDEM, for $65 (and/or plus OT) rather than a more cost-effective $41 with the Helper.

I guess this is supposed to be "Logistics" at work? :laughing:

I was told by hr that helpers get OT once we pass 8 hrs for the day, no matter if we reach 40 total for the week, though I have yet to stay punched in for more than 6 hours, perhaps this coming week.

over9five

Staff member
Friday night a PC driver told me it was the easiest Peak he could remember because they hired so many helpers. He said there were 40 in his center of 50 regular drivers.

Magnus

I was told by hr that helpers get OT once we pass 8 hrs for the day, no matter if we reach 40 total for the week, though I have yet to stay punched in for more than 6 hours, perhaps this coming week.
You are correct, we get OT if and or when we go over 8 hours no matter what. I managed to get maybe 7 hours OT in total last Peak with some 9, 10 and 11 hour nights.

Haven't managed to get further than 7.30 hours this Peak however. Been dropped down to 3.59 hours the last couple of days, as I said. Praying volume picks up soon... :devil3:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I had my helper last year the week before xmas for over 10 hours 3 days.

I never cleaned my route, it was not until the 24th that they wound up sending 2 other drivers to bail me out that I cleaned my route....

They had this idea last year I could do 60 more stops then I had ever done on my route before and clean...they were wrong.

I still cant see a helper working more then 10 a day however unless they are going to use him in the building also.