Drivers in my center mad because they are forced to take lunch.

Grey

That's wild. I've never seen a mandatory lunch hour. That's too much time to sit down. The only time I take a full hour at once is if they ask me to do something. Then I'll say "No, just started my hour" and they find someone else. :)

Savvy412

I just take a half hour but. What I don't get is

Do they take off a hour even if you don't take it

Say I work 8:40-7:00. That's 11 hours. On my paycheck would that only be 10 because of the required 1 hour break ? Hope someone answers this .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Say I work 8:40-7:00. That's 11 hours. On my paycheck would that only be 10 because of the required 1 hour break ? Hope someone answers this .
Uhhh do you not keep track of your hours?

35years

Gravy route

Read you contract supplement and see how much paid and how much unpaid break you get.

It is illegal for UPS to subtract unpaid break hours from your pay if you did not take it and enter it. They did this for decades (illegally) but a huge class action lawsuit out west put an end to it.

35years

Gravy route
Of course UPS for decades did not care if you took your unpaid break because they would subtract it from your hours anyway and drivers would be working for free.

Now, only after the backpay class action, they are concerned that you take your break...Why?...

Because they can no longer subtract break not entered by the driver. And they know gutless wonders will sort and do other work during their coded off time, working for free.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dont get it? Whats so difficult about taking a simple 30 minute rest period? If you dont have anymore NDA commits left, Just take lunch from like 12:30 til 13:00... Its an easy concept

My route is set up to where there is a 45-60 minute break between my first and second rounds of pickups. This break also puts me very close to my house so I generally take my 45 minute break somewhere between 1530-1630.

I have heard that our local UPS Store is now closing at 1800 rather than 1830. This is my last pickup stop of the day and while I normally have them closed out before 1800 there are days when it is closer to 1830. We will have to see how this plays out.

Holydriver

It's pretty sad that it has to come to this point, instead of dispatching people reasonably so that everyone can get off in time for dinner. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it one more...

This is the only place where you do all your own work only to be told at the end of the day that you have to do someone else's work. Pay us a half hour and include that in our paid plan. I'd gladly give up the hour unpaid in our local supp. At least that way I might be home earlier.
Right? Imagine a premium pay for PM dispatch work. Say $0.25 per package delivered or something on top of your normal hourly rate. That would end PM dispatch pretty quick

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They will only deduct what you enter in to the DIAD for your meal and break(s); however, if you are required to take an hour and enter less than that you may be subject to discipline.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
They will only deduct what you enter in to the DIAD for your meal and break(s); however, if you are required to take an hour and enter less than that you may be subject to discipline.
It has happened, had a driver get a warning letter for taking lunch from 1401-1501, one minute past our 1500 cutoff

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

If you work 11 hours, you get paid for 11 hours.

BrownArmy

Required here to take a full hour, you get a talking to if you don't.

Plenty of drivers run their lunch, for whatever reason.

Thousands of dollars donated to UPS.

Lulz.

Personally I'd prefer thirty minutes, but it is what it is.

BrownArmy

Back-of-napkin calculation:

$32* an hour, times five hours a week, times (around) fifty weeks a year, equals $8000.

So (assuming full rate), 'running' lunch donates 8K to UPS, per year.

If you serve a thirty year term, that's $240,000 in lost wages.

This doesn't take into consideration the hours which would have been overtime had said driver taken their lunch.

People, take your lunch!