Drivers, OT and 9.5

browniehound

How about this?

Drivers are worked 45 hours a week straight time.

No OT until beyond 45 hours.

OT is paid double time.

? :peaceful:

Sounds good, but its against state law where I live. Any hours worked over 40 is to be paid at time and 1/2.

Double time after 45? The company would never go for it because most drivers work 45/week. How about a compromise? Double time over 50 or 52 hours?

This seems fair to me because to acheive that a driver must work 5 10 hour days or a couple twelves and 9.5's. Now that I think of it, everything over 10 should be double time because 10 is really 11 when you factor in the lunch.

I know we are not working during lunch (at least most of us:wink2:) but its still an hour stuck with the employer so it counts as work to me. I count that hour as "not mine" and "UPS's" because I'm limited in what I can do during that hour. If it was my choice it wouldn't be spent sitting in a cold metal truck during winter. Anyone else agree?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Sounds good, but its against state law where I live. Any hours worked over 40 is to be paid at time and 1/2.

Double time after 45? The company would never go for it because most drivers work 45/week. How about a compromise? Double time over 50 or 52 hours?

This seems fair to me because to acheive that a driver must work 5 10 hour days or a couple twelves and 9.5's. Now that I think of it, everything over 10 should be double time because 10 is really 11 when you factor in the lunch.

I know we are not working during lunch (at least most of us:wink2:) but its still an hour stuck with the employer so it counts as work to me. I count that hour as "not mine" and "UPS's" because I'm limited in what I can do during that hour. If it was my choice it wouldn't be spent sitting in a cold metal truck during winter. Anyone else agree?

Good thoughts. There must be a way other than some 9.5 comittee and etc to bring fairness into the equation and squash excessive overtime for drivers. Originally trying to think outside the box on this one. "when everyones thinking the same thing, no one's thinking" ye know? :D

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think the whole point of the double time at 45 is to force the company to put on more rtes. If double time starts at 50/52, which fewer drivers hit then the company will be less inclined to put on more rtes to get rid of the over time.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I think the whole point of the double time at 45 is to force the company to put on more rtes. If double time starts at 50/52, which fewer drivers hit then the company will be less inclined to put on more rtes to get rid of the over time.

Correct. This would save UPS a few bucks in paid OT and excessive at that, cost some in fuel obviously as a trade-of with a few new routes.. This would also make some of the higher seniority covers happy as at bid time they'd have a route if they wanted one (and more hours during the winter/spring when it quiets down and there aren't many vacations)