Drivers still Driver helper?

comtnbrown

Just wondering how many drivers are still helpers? Here on the Wintery side of Hell in Colorado volume is high but they are still using us as helpers. On the UPS side it's been a pretty stress free peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just wondering how many drivers are still helpers? Here on the Wintery side of Hell in Colorado volume is high but they are still using us as helpers. On the UPS side it's been a pretty stress free peak.

Your post confuses me. On the one hand you are saying volume is high yet they are still using drivers as helpers but on the other hand you are saying it has been a pretty stress free Peak. Is the volume there to justify putting the extra areas on so that the drivers can drive or are the appropriate number of areas being run and they are allowing those drivers w/o an area to work as helpers rather than sitting at home? Are the drivers being used as helpers paid their normal pay rate or are they being paid helper rate? As I said, your post confuses me.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We don't have any drivers working as helpers in my Hub. We did have a Preloader that recently passed Driving School to drive a route and work a helper this past week.

A lot of our helpers are Preloaders or Hub Sort people this year. My Helper gets her regular Prelaoder pay in the morning and then she takes a paycut to $8.50 an hour to work as my Helper when she rides with me. She worked over fifty hours last week.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Has anyone tried challenging the use of helpers with drivers laid off with a grievance? Unless those drivers are getting top scale driver pay, as helpers, they are being screwed!!

brownrod

Has anyone tried challenging the use of helpers with drivers laid off with a grievance? Unless those drivers are getting top scale driver pay, as helpers, they are being screwed!!

In our supplement we cannot use helpers if there are drivers laid off. So they make sure the lowest senior drivers are working and ask higher seniority drivers if they want the day off. Plenty of people want to go home. Our drivers if they work as a helper get paid full driver scale.

bigbrownhen

As far as I can tell all drivers are on car here. Helpers are sometimes split between two drivers, AM and PM. So far its a rather normal peak here.

Brown Rocket

Here in the southern region there is no language about laid off drivers before helpers. They screwed us good. They have golf carts out delivering packages and paying them helper rate and calling them helpers. The last two laid off drivers went on the road Dec 7. Our union sat on it's ass in TN meeting with the company for TWO WEEKS on my dime before it decided that they company can do whatever it wants between Oct 1 and Dec 25. I get **** on by both the union and the company but at least I don't have to pay the company to do it.

PS I was one of the last two drivers to go on and should be laid off again before the end of Jan.