Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

ITwannabe

I don't know where you drive, but you really need to get on some rural routes. No stress, no traffic. It feels like you're not even working. It's like night and day. Of course there is no getting around the long days

I feel bad for drivers that are unable to transfer out of centers without losing seniority
I run a country route already

JackStraw

Within the past ten years about 20 have retired from my center. One of 'em got sick, died about 10 yrs into retirement. another dropped dead of a heart attack(smoker, both tobacco and weed). Everyone else is alive and kicking.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Within the past ten years about 20 have retired from my center. One of 'em got sick, died about 10 yrs into retirement. another dropped dead of a heart attack(smoker, both tobacco and weed). Everyone else is alive and kicking.

I'd be happy with 10 years, but, I'm already old.

Last edited:

ITwannabe

Just like ups LOVES hiring vets because they have a great work ethic...or that off the street hires make better drivers because they feel like they "owe" ups something because ups "gave em' a chance".....
LOL I'm an off the street hire and I don't feel that way at all. In fact it makes me mad when all you insiders tell us outsiders we can't complain about this job because we didn't work inside first....it's not my fault you guys chose to work inside for basically minimum wage for 8 years trying to drive. Stop acting like we won the lottery getting hired off the street. Plus the insiders are the ones who are the biggest butt kissers because they had to wait so long so they don't want to screw it up and get fired. A driver is a driver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This might be corny, but I think there are a lot of people who define themselves as a UPSer mentally. Like, "I'm a driver" or "I'm a center manager". And when they don't have to do those things anymore, they lose their sense of identity and seem to give up.

I think you have to guard against that and change your mentality if you think this way. "I'm a grandfather" or "I'm the mayor of the local place where I go get the newspaper" or "I'm the Meals on Wheels director" so that you don't feel like your purpose is gone when you retire. I think that's what the doctor means when he tells people to "find something to do". You need to find a purpose that was just as strong as getting up at 6am to go to work.
Purpose
Structure
Routine

These three things that a person loses when they retire from UPS or any job. For a man, dying within 2 years of retirement is common, regardless of job.

If you replace these three things, your life will be better.

Failing to do so causes many people to go into a depression and stress is one of the major side-effects of depression.
Plain and simple ... stress kills specially causing many to have heart attacks.
This usually happens within 2 years of retirement.

I am busier and doing a lot of things I could not during employment.
Travels, music festivals and photography workshops keep me enthused.
I am doing something with photography daily.
Brown Cafe helps out too.

This is a book I bought when I turned 55 and started thinking seriously about retirement.

Amazon Book

Retire Happy Wild and Free - Zelinski.jpg

Last edited:

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Purpose
Structure
Routine

These three things that a person loses when they retire from UPS or any job. For a man, dying within 2 years of retirement is common, regardless of job.

If you replace these three things, your life will be better.

Failing to do so causes many people to go into a depression and stress is one of the major side-effects of depression.
Plain and simple ... stress kills specially causing many to have heart attacks.
This usually happens within 2 years of retirement.

I am busier and doing a lot of things I could not during employment.
Travels, music festivals and photography workshops keep me enthused.
I am doing something with photography daily.
Brown Cafe helps out too.

This is a book I bought when I turned 55 and started thinking seriously about retirement.

View attachment 97813

already read it , and the Joy of Not Working by the same author