Drivers who went to college

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dropped out of high school when I knocked up a girl in 11th grade. Worked two jobs while living at her parents house with our child. Got my GED while doing both jobs. One of the jobs I rose through the ranks in a retail environment to the point I managed 5 managers and 50 employees underneath them, 28,000 square foot store.

Got to the point I was making 80k 17 years ago, quit due to 6 day work weeks salary as store manager and came to work at UPS PT for the insurance. Was offered PT management at interview and declined. Became FT driver and the rest is history, probably left a few :censored2:ty parts out.

Do I wish I could have gone to college, sure. Do I regret not going, getting out in the workforce instead, no. Is college for everyone, no. My daughter doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, thinking of doing history degree on my dime to become an archivist or archeologist. Not sure I agree with it but perusing her dreams is a luxury I wasn't afforded. Might turn into a wasted degree, but I don't see anyone here posting they wanted to be a UPS driver when they grew up either.

But no, I didn't go to college.

You got her pregnant and moved in to her parent's home? Her father must have loved you. :(

MAKAVELI

He's the one who offered it. He saw I was trying to take care of business and his wife was a stay at home mom who helped us with our child while we both went to work. Moved out about a year later into an apartment.
You were lucky. Most father's would've wanted kill you for nocking up their daughter, much less offer to have you move in.

Keenj

I graduated from a 2 year gunsmithing program because I wanted to be able to build and repair my own guns. This job will definitely help me eventually get my own tools to start turning out what I want.

Dr.Brownz

Yep, 90% of the kids I went to school with that went to college are working crap jobs (some at Amazon even lol). A few (who were truly smart to begin with) are making big dollars in specialized industries (chemistry, pharma) but most are in financial holes. The friends I had who are in the military make less than me but they will at least have some marketable skills when they get out (though I think alot of them will stay in because they like the lifestyle). It's funny though because they all act like they are living the high life, but I know all the secret details because this is a small town and everyone knows everyone. You can't BS anyone here, maybe in the big :censored2:ty.

rod

Retired 22 years
He's the one who offered it. He saw I was trying to take care of business and his wife was a stay at home mom who helped us with our child while we both went to work. Moved out about a year later into an apartment.

My younger brother knocked up his high school girl friend-------------twice. Tenth and 11th grade. Her parents (her mom was a school teacher at the high school) really loved him. Rumors was that her dad had a contract out on him. All turned out well--bro and wife have been married now for 46 years and the two kids are both successful adults. Life can be funny.

Dr.Brownz

I graduated from a 2 year gunsmithing program because I wanted to be able to build and repair my own guns. This job will definitely help me eventually get my own tools to start turning out what I want.

With gun laws trending toward more restrictive you probably made a good choice. That could be a big big money skill in 20 years (even more if guns become totally illegal)

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not if Hillary gets her way. You will be taxed out of existence.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I started, UPS liked to hire college students because it gave them an educated pool of future drivers and supervisors. I know about a half a dozen upper management people that I used to work the preload with. Seems like I was the only one who stayed a driver.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I started, UPS liked to hire college students because it gave them an educated pool of future drivers and supervisors. I know about a half a dozen upper management people that I used to work the preload with. Seems like I was the only one who stayed a driver.

Plus they liked the turnover from hiring college students that would only work a couple of years before moving on. They didn't like career part timers.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Dropped out of high school when I knocked up a girl in 11th grade. Worked two jobs while living at her parents house with our child. Got my GED while doing both jobs. One of the jobs I rose through the ranks in a retail environment to the point I managed 5 managers and 50 employees underneath them, 28,000 square foot store.

Got to the point I was making 80k 17 years ago, quit due to 6 day work weeks salary as store manager and came to work at UPS PT for the insurance. Was offered PT management at interview and declined. Became FT driver and the rest is history, probably left a few :censored2:ty parts out.

Do I wish I could have gone to college, sure. Do I regret not going, getting out in the workforce instead, no. Is college for everyone, no. My daughter doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, thinking of doing history degree on my dime to become an archivist or archeologist. Not sure I agree with it but perusing her dreams is a luxury I wasn't afforded. Might turn into a wasted degree, but I don't see anyone here posting they wanted to be a UPS driver when they grew up either.

But no, I didn't go to college.

Did I miss it some place?? Did you stay with the girl