Drivers

In my hub we have a lot of employees who are going temp driving that have only worked at ups for a couple months when I started at ups 8 years ago this was unheard of. All the sorts are suffering especially preload because people are being hired and them are gone driving within a few months , it's a nightmare every day to go in and deal with the terrible loaded truck and misloads.

Are other hubs and centers dealing with the same thing?

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We have guys who got hired as seasonal drivers, came back on Jan 1 as PT, and by June were already full time. The hiring freeze seems to have thawed

nc_upser

Definitely the same here, I was hired in May and asked to temp drive in mid June, and now a whole 3 months later I have more seniority than exactly one half of the guys loading on my belt

Sent using BrownCafe App

ChrisTheBrown

In my center, I've noticed in the past couple months (and noticed another new one today) that we've been hiring people off the street, sending them to driver school after about a week or so working preload..In preparation for peak. I recently qualified as a cover driver, (mid July) haven't really drove since. I'm just hoping that I'll for sure be driving, ahead of all these others off the street..In whom I'm assuming are only temp hires to help through peak. The whole thing just kinda gets under my skin, because I've worked extremely hard over the past 14 months to get where I'm currently at. Looking forward to seeing how things play out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

9.5er

because I've worked extremely hard over the past 14 months to get where I'm currently at. Looking forward to seeing how things play out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I can't help but laugh at this. I've been employed at UPS since peak of '97. Driving since spring of '04. I have seniority over one other driver. No hiring happening around my center.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In my hub we have a lot of employees who are going temp driving that have only worked at ups for a couple months when I started at ups 8 years ago this was unheard of. All the sorts are suffering especially preload because people are being hired and them are gone driving within a few months , it's a nightmare every day to go in and deal with the terrible loaded truck and misloads.

Are other hubs and centers dealing with the same thing?

Sent using BrownCafe App
That's because the loaders aren't trained right and the system of how to load trucks doesn't work and never has. Different dispatch all the time ends up being different dol everyday. Get used to Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder loads every day youngblood lol.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
After Labor Day, the sh1t will hit the fan. I remember one year I had a full time helper from Oct. 1st through x-mas.

Packmule

Out here they aren't hiring anything. Just blowing us away! They play it smart do it's hard to get on grievance list. We are so gonna die at peak!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We've had 5 or 6 people go from preload to driving and in about 3 weeks they are back on the preload . The job is too much for alot of them

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Out here they aren't hiring anything. Just blowing us away! They play it smart do it's hard to get on grievance list. We are so gonna die at peak!
There aint nothing to peak. As long as you have a good jumper its easy. Its the same every year, just another peak whatever dude lol. Weve all been there done that so we all knoiw its always mind over matter at peak.

BigBeef42

Mass hiring everywhere bro. We are a training building and see large groups of classes come through every week. There are jobs to be had.

We hired over a dozen guys this year alone for FTPC.... funny, most of these new drivers are scheduled to start their 30 days during PEAK.

This will be interesting.....

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

ups1990

We hired over a dozen guys this year alone for FTPC.... funny, most of these new drivers are scheduled to start their 30 days during PEAK.

This will be interesting.....

I made the same comment a while back on a different thread. We currently have drivers in their probation period that will likely pass because its so close to peak and we had a good wave of drivers either retiring or going into feeder. Its funny, with the recent rush to promote p/t to friend/t , I would bet by peak our center will have the same drivers as last peak when we subtract those who left for feeders or retirement and a couple of terminations.

BigBeef42

I made the same comment a while back on a different thread. We currently have drivers in their probation period that will likely pass because its so close to peak and we had a good wave of drivers either retiring or going into feeder. Its funny, with the recent rush to promote p/t to friend/t , I would bet by peak our center will have the same drivers as last peak when we subtract those who left for feeders or retirement and a couple of terminations.

I completely agree. We also have pc drivers moving into feeders, or retiring, UPS isnt hiring in my hub, to lighten the load, they are doing so to replace people.

Same # of stops, just new guys doing the work.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
That's because the loaders aren't trained right and the system of how to load trucks doesn't work and never has. Different dispatch all the time ends up being different dol everyday. Get used to Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder loads every day youngblood lol.
Bazinga!! How true! UPS "dumbed-down" the preload jobs so that any monkey could do it blindfolded. Subsequently, the quality of new hires has diminished and unfortunately, these are our future full time drivers. It's no wonder now that nearly half of the new drivers in our center are disqualified during their first 30 days.

Daalcaar

At the hub I work at, which is in So Cal, there has not been any mass hiring. Driver wait time is still about 10 years. Combo is about 13 years. Wish we had a mass hiring too :/

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
It comes down to this..... You have to deal with so much daily harassment and supervisor bs and bust your balls for over 10 hours a day for pay you can make at a fast food joint this job is going downhill quick. Real friend'en quick. And you can't make good $ till you get top rate which is now longer and longer to get to stay in school kids!!!!!