Driveways, Safety, & WTF!!

Rented Ammo

Ok so I don't get this. During almost every PCM we are told my management not to go into driveways no matter what due to the fact that many bad things can't happen in a driveway. There are posters all over the building that read in big capital letters DO NOT GO DOWN DRIVEWAYS. Well, the route I do are these long ass driveways and for the longest time I would always walk down each and everyone of them and never drive down them. I would easily be 3 hours over each day because of this (not that I care about over allowed) Now comes a 3-day OJS Ride and the first thing this new supervisor says is WERE GOING DOWN ALL DRIVEWAYS. I said I'll do whatever you ask but I'll do it under protest. This supervisor threatened me with warning letters if I didn't do what she asked. Stuff like walking across lawns, flower beds, crossing in front of the truck, saying its ok to go 10mph over the speed limit, she even sorted the truck out at some stops as I went to go deliver lmao!! So now I never hit my numbers (which I could care less about) and I'm constantly being asked about why I was an hour over yesterday. To which I reply I did the best job I could and worked safe something we didn't do during the 3 day ride. 13 notice of discharges later for production I have a hearing with the local and ups. Ups says they can ask their drivers to go down these driveways and the union basically agreed with them after a long heated discussion. My 13 notices got down to one warning letter which to me is kinda dumb. I should have no warning letters but I guess they left it open, who knows. Point is, I follow every method out there and I've been watched countless times and I'm always 100% when they have their little clipboards trying to find me doing stupid :censored2: out there. This supervisor also once said on a saftey ride that "Your park positions are too safe" I just looked at her like is this bitch for real? I'm on the 9.5 list so I guess this is why they hate me so much but I could give a :censored2: cuz those are my rights and y'all can adbide by em. So when it comes to driveways and saftey how to some of you deal with this :censored2:? I've asked to file constant harassment grievances but the local says "no don't do that they won't go anywhere it's a bull:censored2: grievance". So it's like I'm stuck here. Before I took this route there were about 8 other drivers who declined it cuz there was too much walking on the route due to walking the long ass driveways. So isn't this grounds for a Past Practice Grivence? I'm close to going to feeders so I guess I'll just out up with this :censored2: till then but I just felt like I should share this with you guys and see what kind of opinions I could get out of you guys on this situation. By the way our center has had 14 accidents in 9 months. 10 of which are drivers that this supervisor trained. Kinda funny lmao

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

I stopped right at sup told me to go down driveways. It's a safety issues so you should have simply refused. What was he going to put on the write up "wouldn't go into driveways"?

oldngray

nowhere special
long story.png

Rented Ammo

I did refuse and they she said "I'll give you a warning letter for each time you refuse to do something" I was like ok fine I'll just do everything under protest. She was like "what does that mean" I said "don't worry you'll find out later" lmao Comedy

Indecisi0n

I did refuse and they she said "I'll give you a warning letter for each time you refuse to do something" I was like ok fine I'll just do everything under protest. She was like "what does that mean" I said "don't worry you'll find out later" lmao Comedy
You can't do :censored2: now but document it. Should have welcomed the warning letters.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What does it mean?

It means nothing.

You need to learn the methods and stick to them.

Ok so I don't get this. During almost every PCM we are told my management not to go into driveways no matter what due to the fact that many bad things can't happen in a driveway. There are posters all over the building that read in big capital letters DO NOT GO DOWN DRIVEWAYS. Well, the route I do are these long ass driveways and for the longest time I would always walk down each and everyone of them and never drive down them. I would easily be 3 hours over each day because of this (not that I care about over allowed) Now comes a 3-day OJS Ride and the first thing this new supervisor says is WERE GOING DOWN ALL DRIVEWAYS. I said I'll do whatever you ask but I'll do it under protest. This supervisor threatened me with warning letters if I didn't do what she asked. Stuff like walking across lawns, flower beds, crossing in front of the truck, saying its ok to go 10mph over the speed limit, she even sorted the truck out at some stops as I went to go deliver lmao!! So now I never hit my numbers (which I could care less about) and I'm constantly being asked about why I was an hour over yesterday. To which I reply I did the best job I could and worked safe something we didn't do during the 3 day ride. 13 notice of discharges later for production I have a hearing with the local and ups. Ups says they can ask their drivers to go down these driveways and the union basically agreed with them after a long heated discussion. My 13 notices got down to one warning letter which to me is kinda dumb. I should have no warning letters but I guess they left it open, who knows. Point is, I follow every method out there and I've been watched countless times and I'm always 100% when they have their little clipboards trying to find me doing stupid :censored2: out there. This supervisor also once said on a saftey ride that "Your park positions are too safe" I just looked at her like is this bitch for real? I'm on the 9.5 list so I guess this is why they hate me so much but I could give a :censored2: cuz those are my rights and y'all can adbide by em. So when it comes to driveways and saftey how to some of you deal with this :censored2:? I've asked to file constant harassment grievances but the local says "no don't do that they won't go anywhere it's a bull:censored2: grievance". So it's like I'm stuck here. Before I took this route there were about 8 other drivers who declined it cuz there was too much walking on the route due to walking the long ass driveways. So isn't this grounds for a Past Practice Grivence? I'm close to going to feeders so I guess I'll just out up with this :censored2: till then but I just felt like I should share this with you guys and see what kind of opinions I could get out of you guys on this situation. By the way our center has had 14 accidents in 9 months. 10 of which are drivers that this supervisor trained. Kinda funny lmao
Please define "long ass driveway." For example, my house is about 350 feet from the road. I, and other drivers, drive up it. There is space to turn around, although you may have to back twice. If there was no space to turn around we would have to walk it or leave it in a bag at the bottom of the driveway. My choice would be to leave it at the bottom. Even if there were a note in the board to leave it at the house, I would leave it down at the bottom.

bham brown

Please define "long ass driveway." For example, my house is about 350 feet from the road. I, and other drivers, drive up it. There is space to turn around, although you may have to back twice. If there was no space to turn around we would have to walk it or leave it in a bag at the bottom of the driveway. My choice would be to leave it at the bottom. Even if there were a note in the board to leave it at the house, I would leave it down at the bottom.

So you must be in a hurry?? Leaving in a bag at bottom of driveway is not a method. I get paid by the hour so if it takes 20 minutes to walk it then that's what it takes. Shortcuts mean more stops on your route.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If a supervisor performs work on an OJS, the production for that day is null and void. Sorting, opening doors, carrying packages, intervening with customers etc.
Next time just walk off anything that's unsafe to drive. Anytime you're unwilling or unable to duplicate your normal daily routine on an OJS, you're setting yourself up for just this exact B.S.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i would not have violated proper work methods, safety methods regardless of what that stupe said. and i have been in that exact situation on a ride-along.

i just told him " you do whatever you have to do and i will do whatever i have to do."

JL 0513

Never heard not to go down long driveways out in the country. This is a must, or yes, you will be 3 hours over. Customers fully expect this. How can you take 10 minutes per stop walking?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Never heard not to go down long driveways out in the country. This is a must, or yes, you will be 3 hours over. Customers fully expect this. How can you take 10 minutes per stop walking?
+1

It is also a safety issue to approach a rural home on foot...especially after dark...when the occupants cannot see the the package car. That is how we get dogs sicced on us and guns pointed at us.

If its in town, its a driveway. If its in the country, I just call it a "private access road".

Rented Ammo

I'm talking 800 ft to half a mile