Driving advice needed

hegro

I need some advice about the situation I am in. Any help is appreciated.

I have been with the company for a little over a year now. Seniority date is July 20th. I went through driver training back at the end of April. The HR lady in charge of hiring drivers said I would be called 4-6 weeks after I got out of class for a Saturday air position. I ended up going into HR after 7 weeks only to find out that the lady who put me in training was no longer there. The new lady in charge has no idea how I got through training so quick and told me it was seniority based(no sh it) and to basically wait my turn and I would be called when needed.

Over the last month or two I have been called a couple times on Friday about driving. For different reasons I never got a chance to answer and had to wait until the next week to get in touch with her. According to her both times I got a hold of her it was too late and there were higher seniority people already going through training that week so I would have to wait..

So now we are approaching peak season obviously and she is trying to get me on Saturday within the next couple weeks and holiday driving 2nd or 3rd week of October. All the while more and more people are going through training so who knows when I will actually get on.

My actual question I am wondering is if I should just remove myself from Saturday driving and just do the holiday driving? I don't really want Saturday if I am going to be on holiday. My end goal is to go full time early next year so should I take advantage of the experience? Also a couple other people in my class only got one day with somebody training on Saturday as opposed to 3 days(?) when you go holiday/full time. I have been out of training for 5 months now and am not feeling the most confident as a lot of the stuff is not fresh in my head. Should I go in and go back over the computer lessons in my free time? I am mainly concerned about the DIAD. I also realize a lot of the job becomes much easier with hands on experience when you get out and do it. I just want to be as ready as possible.

Sorry for the rambling, any input is welcome.

By The Book

Patience is your friend in this situation. Many part time employees have waited up to 10 years for the opportunity to go driving Saturday. Timing is huge sometimes and those two phone calls you missed may of set you back. I'm not sure if your center team will allow you to practice on the computer to keep things fresh for you, if so go for it. You will only get a supervisor for a one day ride for your first Saturday.

hegro

Patience is your friend in this situation. Many part time employees have waited up to 10 years for the opportunity to go driving Saturday. Timing is huge sometimes and those two phone calls you missed may of set you back. I'm not sure if your center team will allow you to practice on the computer to keep things fresh for you, if so go for it. You will only get a supervisor for a one day ride for your first Saturday.

Yeah, from what I understand if you are going fulltime or holiday driving you have someone with you for 3 days. I am thinking I would prefer that so I can talk their ear off and ask my questions. If I got Saturday first then do holiday as well I will still only have one day. =/ Not like that would be the end of the world but I am thinking it would be a more comfortable transition.

More and more I think about it I will definitely go to the learning center or whatever it is and see if I can hop on their computers for a few hours. I am on vacation all next week so it might be a good time. Thanks.

Edit: Yeah, I realize what a great situation I am in regardless. Just a few years ago it was a 5-6 year wait at the center I work but just last year it was down to a couple months. I am perfectly fine with getting it after a little longer than a year(I am near the top of the full time list).

By The Book

Yeah, from what I understand if you are going fulltime or holiday driving you have someone with you for 3 days. I am thinking I would prefer that so I can talk their ear off and ask my questions. If I got Saturday first then do holiday as well I will still only have one day. =/ Not like that would be the end of the world but I am thinking it would be a more comfortable transition.

More and more I think about it I will definitely go to the learning center or whatever it is and see if I can hop on their computers for a few hours. I am on vacation all next week so it might be a good time. Thanks.

Edit: Yeah, I realize what a great situation I am in regardless. Just a few years ago it was a 5-6 year wait at the center I work but just last year it was down to a couple months. I am perfectly fine with getting it after a little longer than a year(I am near the top of the full time list).
I still think if you were to drive a full route with pickups for peak (October thru January 15th), they will ride with you 3 days. This is after you drove Saturday with your supervisor for 1 day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I have been with the company for a little over a year now. Seniority date is July 20th. I went through driver training back at the end of April. The HR lady in charge of hiring drivers said I would be called 4-6 weeks after I got out of class for a Saturday air position. I ended up going into HR after 7 weeks only to find out that the lady who put me in training was no longer there. The new lady in charge has no idea how I got through training so quick and told me it was seniority based(no sh it) and to basically wait my turn and I would be called when needed.

Over the last month or two I have been called a couple times on Friday about driving. For different reasons I never got a chance to answer and had to wait until the next week to get in touch with her. According to her both times I got a hold of her it was too late and there were higher seniority people already going through training that week so I would have to wait..

So now we are approaching peak season obviously and she is trying to get me on Saturday within the next couple weeks and holiday driving 2nd or 3rd week of October. All the while more and more people are going through training so who knows when I will actually get on.

My actual question I am wondering is if I should just remove myself from Saturday driving and just do the holiday driving? I don't really want Saturday if I am going to be on holiday. My end goal is to go full time early next year so should I take advantage of the experience? Also a couple other people in my class only got one day with somebody training on Saturday as opposed to 3 days(?) when you go holiday/full time. I have been out of training for 5 months now and am not feeling the most confident as a lot of the stuff is not fresh in my head. Should I go in and go back over the computer lessons in my free time? I am mainly concerned about the DIAD. I also realize a lot of the job becomes much easier with hands on experience when you get out and do it. I just want to be as ready as possible.

How fat was the HR lady?

rickyb

heres some advice:

walk out of the UPS building, into your car, drive away and dont look back.

Savvy412

If you want my advice

(if you want a career as a driver)

drive..drive drive..sat..holiday..fulltime..1 day...

All the guys who try to cherry pick what they want, get skipped over and the hungry divers end up getting a route and driving. Rather dive in...or just dont bother. If your doing SAT, and driving every day..maybe then you could weasel out of it. (maybe)

PT Car Washer

If you want my advice

(if you want a career as a driver)

drive..drive drive..sat..holiday..fulltime..1 day...

All the guys who try to cherry pick what they want, get skipped over and the hungry divers end up getting a route and driving. Rather dive in...or just dont bother. If your doing SAT, and driving every day..maybe then you could weasel out of it. (maybe)
Seasonal is just that, seasonal. At least Saturday air is year round and is a good place to practice the DIAD and delivering in a low key environment while you build some seniority. Peak season driver is the worst. Never know when you will be working except when they do need you it is because the whole system crashed and disaster struck. 13 hour days delivering out of a rental with a hundred stops. Experienced drivers are running 200 to 300 stops in 10 or 11 hours. Sorry, not good enough on Dec. 24. We will call you if we need you.

billerz

Just start saying yes to every opportunity they give you, any driving is good. Starting on sat would be easier imo, it's way less stressful and your truck is empty.
Also don't worry about forgetting how to use the DIAD lol, after a couple days on road you know it just as well as everyone else.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

^^^ This. As someone who has worked unload for a whopping 4 weeks and just got the call to start doing Saturday Air, I plan on saying yes to as much Saturday Air as I can. Say yes to covering for vacations as well.

billerz

How do you do a multiple left at or a COD with 2 or more checks?
You can't do left at with a COD, as far multiple checks for one package u hit multi check softkey. Always make sure that the total zeros out or it won't let you stop complete.
As far as left at, scan all pkgs, prerecord, hit left at res/com, depending on where you left it, get sig, complete stop and enter in where you left it, I.e. Office or suite number

upschuck

You can't do left at with a COD, as far multiple checks for one package u hit multi check softkey. Always make sure that the total zeros out or it won't let you stop complete.
You can stop complete, just have to acknowledge the overage/underage. Overage anyways, I believe you can being under a little, however I never give even if a penny under.

billerz

And honestly a new driver in that situation should call his supervisor if he unsure in any way how to complete the stop.
For basic deliveries, you can learn it a couple hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As far as left at, scan all pkgs, prerecord, hit left at res/com, depending on where you left it, get sig, complete stop and enter in where you left it, I.e. Office or suite number

You most certainly can do a left at with a COD.