Driving home for lunch/dinner?

ManInBrown

This has always been a grey area. Not the going home part but when meal starts and stops. I've been told recently that meal begins as soon as you are done your last stop and you have to be at the next stop when meal is over. So any driving to a place to eat is on your time. So I recently just started coding it that way. Before that I would drive where I was going on route on their time. And the wheels wouldnt move till meal was over. I'm still confused as to which one is correct.

JackStraw

We get a 1 hour break every day. You can take a 20 min. break in the am( within 1 hr of start time) if you wish and a 40 in the pm between the hours of 12 and 3. Or the full 60 between 12 and 3. After working 8.5 hours we are given a 15 min bonus which we can't take but we get paid for. Lesser seniority drivers get a 10 minute bonus.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So you get to take let's say an extra 1/2 hour,15 mins to and 15 mins from area for lunch just because you're rural? You might because you've been here a long time. Let a rookie try and see if that flies.
Again, it would depend on the route. The last thing I want to do is to add half an hour to a 10 or 10.5 hour day. I make every effort to minimize the amount of miles I have to drive in order to use a restroom. That includes holding it for a few extra minutes in order to deliver my way to an address with a public restroom, or just going in the woods to pee. I don't think I have ever had to drive 15 minutes one-way in order to take a lunch or break, but on some routes it might be necessary.

Johney

Again, it would depend on the route. The last thing I want to do is to add half an hour to a 10 or 10.5 hour day. I make every effort to minimize the amount of miles I have to drive in order to use a restroom. That includes holding it for a few extra minutes in order to deliver my way to an address with a public restroom, or just going in the woods to pee. I don't think I have ever had to drive 15 minutes one-way in order to take a lunch or break, but on some routes it might be necessary.
Necessary or not they may consider that stealing time. Period.

Geo926

Enter back of truck, close bulk head door, open up cap from empty bottle of water, pee, close cap, continue working and have a nice day.

ManInBrown

Enter back of truck, close bulk head door, open up cap from empty bottle of water, pee, close cap, continue working and have a nice day.
Agree. I'm not breaking off to use a bathroom even though the contract says we can. If I gotta drop a Deuce, I obviously will. We have a driver in center who is 200+ clicks over every single day of the week. I have covered this driver's route in the past and could never understand it. Found out a few weeks ago that he breaks off 10-15x a day to use the restroom. LOL

Geo926

Agree. I'm not breaking off to use a bathroom even though the contract says we can. If I gotta drop a Deuce, I obviously will. We have a driver in center who is 200+ clicks over every single day of the week. I have covered this driver's route in the past and could never understand it. Found out a few weeks ago that he breaks off 10-15x a day to use the restroom. LOL

Wow that's horrible. Bladder problems much?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This has always been a grey area. Not the going home part but when meal starts and stops. I've been told recently that meal begins as soon as you are done your last stop and you have to be at the next stop when meal is over. So any driving to a place to eat is on your time. So I recently just started coding it that way. Before that I would drive where I was going on route on their time. And the wheels wouldnt move till meal was over. I'm still confused as to which one is correct.
It's not a gray area at all and it never has been. According to DOT your break doesn't start until you've been relieved of responsibility for your vehicle. If you're driving you're not on break, period. They tried the same thing with us and it's a non starter.

By The Book

We get a non paid 30 min lunch and two 15 min breaks and an extra 10 min break if we work over 10 hours. We can also take an extra 30 min unpaid lunch after we work 8-10 hours I think. (not sure at what time that kicks in)
I believe it's a mandatory 30 minute unpaid if you work over 12. An optional 30 minute unpaid if you are going to be over 5 hours from the end of your first meal periods ending time. The latter doesn't need to be taken, if you have a waiver on file,but the over 12 hour 30 minute unpaid cant be waived.

By The Book

I meant technically you shouldn't on your way back at the end of the day
So you all work thru your lunch as long as its (in the board). I get it now, and you can drive 1 mile to your house or wherever you want for lunch, or break as long as you start it, and finish it( in the board, while you are driving) and stay under 2 miles?, I get it now.

By The Book

This is what I do , because I pee way too many times
I'm usually around a restroom when I gotta go, but on a few occasions when nature called it was not pretty if you know what I mean. I found out a 32 oz. bottle with a wider opening is much better than a 16 oz. bottle for a few reasons. I'll leave it at that.

O

OLDMAN3

Necessary or not they may consider that stealing time. Period.
They can consider it anything they want, it does not make it true. If you have to use the restroom there are numerous laws and regulations that say you don't have to hold it, and you can drive as far as it is necessary to use a real restroom (with running water).

Johney

They can consider it anything they want, it does not make it true. If you have to use the restroom there are numerous laws and regulations that say you don't have to hold it, and you can drive as far as it is necessary to use a real restroom (with running water).
I agree, but that still doesn't mean they can't or won't fire you. Will you get your job back? Sure. Do you want to be out wondering when you'll get your job back? Not likely. I really believe some people forget who we work for and what they are capable of doing. Unless you are Upstate and untouchable anything is possible.

Johney

No. This provider does it to be a D**sh. One of those people that thrives on flying "Over the Radar" Total A**hole. Hated by everyone. Drivers and Mgmt. Just a real Di*k
They will get him/her if they want too bad enough. Seen it happen plenty of times before.

ManInBrown

They will get him/her if they want too bad enough. Seen it happen plenty of times before.
They're Dying to nail this driver. Problem is, they know the book backwards and forwards. Methods, the whole 9 yards. I've never seen anything like it. Never does ANYTHING the wrong way. I mean, NEVER. They've been trying to nail She/He for years. Dots the I's and crosses the T's every second of the day. Every day of the week. Every week of the Year. It's gonna be tough.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
As long as you're not going off route by more than 1.9 miles to break route, you're fine. I used to always swing by a local mall on my was back to the building. Instead of taking the highway I'd take other main roads and go right to it. All my management knew and nobody ever said a peep. When it benefited them I'd be asked to help them finish up.