Driving home for lunch/dinner?

9.5er

We've had the whole "break start at last stop and ends at first stop afterwards" argument at my building. I'm sure DOT would have a field day if they found out some one was driving on their "break" and had an accident.
Problem solved, argument over. Be reasonable and don't drive too far. Punch over to lunch when you get there and back on when your hour (Or 30min.) is up.

FTBrown

So you all work thru your lunch as long as its (in the board). I get it now, and you can drive 1 mile to your house or wherever you want for lunch, or break as long as you start it, and finish it( in the board, while you are driving) and stay under 2 miles?, I get it now.

If it's 12 o'clock and you break off route to drive one mile to your house and it takes you 3 minutes, when you get to your house at 12:03 you put in your board 12:00 o'clock. At 12:45 you need to be at the spot you broke route from and continue with your day. This is the rule here. Nobody told you you have to go home for lunch. Lunch must be completed between the 3.5 to 5.5 hour according to the contract. 8:30 start would mean 12-2:30. OP would be violating the contract in my local by skipping his lunch and taking it at the end of the day. Management in my building only wants full lunch in board. They don't care when you take it. If everyone took their lunch when they were supposed to, maybe a split wouldn't get cut three days a week. Just saying

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree, but that still doesn't mean they can't or won't fire you. Will you get your job back? Sure. Do you want to be out wondering when you'll get your job back? Not likely. I really believe some people forget who we work for and what they are capable of doing. Unless you are Upstate and untouchable anything is possible.
You must not be in the Western Conference. Here we have a specific list of things we can be fired for without first being issued a warning letter and suspension, and breaking trace to go poop isn't one of them.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If it's 12 o'clock and you break off route to drive one mile to your house and it takes you 3 minutes, when you get to your house at 12:03 you put in your board 12:00 o'clock. At 12:45 you need to be at the spot you broke route from and continue with your day. This is the rule here. Nobody told you you have to go home for lunch. Lunch must be completed between the 3.5 to 5.5 hour according to the contract. 8:30 start would mean 12-2:30. OP would be violating the contract in my local by skipping his lunch and taking it at the end of the day. Management in my building only wants full lunch in board. They don't care when you take it. If everyone took their lunch when they were supposed to, maybe a split wouldn't get cut three days a week. Just saying
It's only "the rule" because you won't call them on it. They can't make you use break while driving to from and your lunch spot, that's a violation of DOT regs and the Fair Labor Standards Act.

clean hairy

It's only "the rule" because you won't call them on it. They can't make you use break while driving to from and your lunch spot, that's a violation of DOT regs and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Im the Hubs, Part Timers get 10 min from when the belts get cut off to be back at their work station ready to work again.
I would guess with Drivers, they have 1 hour to leave their most recent stop and be ready to deliver to their next stop.
Unless it works different for Drivers and part Time?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Im the Hubs, Part Timers get 10 min from when the belts get cut off to be back at their work station ready to work again.
I would guess with Drivers, they have 1 hour to leave their most recent stop and be ready to deliver to their next stop.
Unless it works different for Drivers and part Time?
It's not any different, working inside your break starts as soon as you can leave your work area and ends when you return. If you're driving a commercial vehicle that vehicle is your work area and your break does not start until you can walk away from the vehicle.

Johney

You must not be in the Western Conference. Here we have a specific list of things we can be fired for without first being issued a warning letter and suspension, and breaking trace to go poop isn't one of them.
Stealing here means you're gone. No warning letter,no suspension, no passing go, no collecting $200. No not in the Western Conf.

raceanoncr

Years ago, in P/C, my house was on corner of 3 other areas. 3 of us ate lunch at my house every day. Nobody would "break trace" (as if there ever was such back then), just crossed the road.

One time, supe was instructing me on some "real important" issue. He said, "We KNOW where you guys take lunch!" Wow! Is that supposed to be a big secret? With 3 big brown TRUCKS sitting in somebody's yard?

I said, "Yeah?"..

."Well, I just wanted you to know WE know where you guys take lunch!".....

"OK".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was thinking more along the lines of the portajohns you see at construction sites and sporting events.
If UPS wants to set up and service a few porta potties at suitable intervals along my route then I will be more than happy to stick to the trace they want me to follow. Otherwise, I will drive to the nearest restroom when I have to go, and they can just deal with it.

By The Book

Your making my point on the lunch issue. You all need to man up and take it and if you all need help so be it. When your driving its working, please check your state laws. You guys are getting pushed around, that's the way I see it, and no there is no past practice on when your entering your lunch in the board. When you step off the truck that's the time you start your lunch.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This has always been a grey area. Not the going home part but when meal starts and stops. I've been told recently that meal begins as soon as you are done your last stop and you have to be at the next stop when meal is over. So any driving to a place to eat is on your time. So I recently just started coding it that way. Before that I would drive where I was going on route on their time. And the wheels wouldnt move till meal was over. I'm still confused as to which one is correct.
Confused?

Does it seem like break when you're paid to drive. Company vehicle and you're still doing that when you're on break?

You are responsible for that vehicle and DOT laws say you are to be paid for all time behind the wheel.

I about made a sups head explode when I started talking DOT and OSHA. He knew I was right though.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When I first started in delivery, every driver in 2 separate loops would meet every single day for lunch. Everyone in management knew about it, and if they had misroutes or LIB's they'd find all of us, collect the misroutes and give us the LIB's. We'd typically take a little more than 1 hour for lunch, but we were happier, and would finish quicker and be happier. Well, they decided to squash that and it ticked us all off, so we'd eat wherever we could, and slowed down and said friend 'em.

They may have been trying to save money (gas/miles), but all it did was make it worse for them.

neiko

Why cant every driver just take their lunch between 4 or 5th hr like in contract ? It would change alot of rtes if people did this . Imagine if every driver in country did this . And no boxs were moved at those times . It would be great .

SHAIV

We are required to put in an hour lunch? Lol. See that's why I like being so good at my job and good to ups. They don't care how much lunch I take. I put in whatever I take. I don't sit around for a whole hour if I even have time for that. I've heard of people at my center getting written up for not taking a whole hour. They don't say jack to me. If I only take 10 minutes then that's all I put in. I usually don't take my 10 min paid break unless I get pissed off or I'm waiting on a pickup or something. To me unless I have something to do on my break I'm just sitting there wasting time litterally

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We are required to put in an hour lunch? Lol. See that's why I like being so good at my job and good to ups. They don't care how much lunch I take. I put in whatever I take. I don't sit around for a whole hour if I even have time for that. I've heard of people at my center getting written up for not taking a whole hour. They don't say jack to me. If I only take 10 minutes then that's all I put in. I usually don't take my 10 min paid break unless I get :censored2: off or I'm waiting on a pickup or something. To me unless I have something to do on my break I'm just sitting there wasting time litterally

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why cant every driver just take their lunch between 4 or 5th hr like in contract ? It would change alot of rtes if people did this . Imagine if every driver in country did this . And no boxs were moved at those times . It would be great .
We start a 9. I don't want to wait until 1 to eat.