Driving jobs galore in my local

Seahawks17

I'm legally blind in my right eye, I was born with amblyopia. It is incurable and cannot be corrected with glasses or contacts. If both my eyes were like my right eye, I would be on disability. I literally cannot even see 5 feet in front of me with right eye. I go to the eye doctor twice a year and he says there's nothing that's available medically to fix it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Willow Grove hub in PA had a help wanted ad in last Sunday's Philly Inquirer advertising opening for Feeder positions - not seasonal, mind you, but actual bids-with, get this: weekends off!

It's a crazy time in UPS right now.

scisector9

Yes in my hub too. I was told today that we are hiring three more permanent ft drivers and get this 20, yes 20, seasonals before peak. I think from talking to mgmt. and people at my building UPS is trying desperately to avoid another peak black eye. Had a sup tell me today that there is no way ups will drop the ball on another peak season. I asked how and where are we going to put these extra 20 or 25 cars for peak. An idea being tossed around is running two am sorts, and staggering start times by several hours among drivers. Essentially loading everything off of trailers, sorting, loading back into trailers repeat process. Sounds crazy to me, but hey whatever it takes to get the job done. I was hired in July off the street, and have seniority on ten people already, and in second in line to get my first route. Most of this is due to a plethora of retirements since I started, but it seems like we are trying to hire ahead of the retirement curve. We are already sending 3-4 guys home daily some days because of the coverage and training we currently have at my building. It's always the veterans that chomp at the bit to get their name called in the am, so I will have plenty of work as in my center they don't lay off from the bottom, but give the guys at the top of the list the option to go home.

I'm sure it won't happen, but maybe we will get some half way decent dispatches this peak season and not be working 55-60 hours a week. Or maybe the volume will justify adding almost fifty percent more routes during peak? Either way I consider it a good sign of UPS's future growth and my job security. Amazon delivering their own goods?? Ha not anytime soon in my area it would appear.

Cheers.