Driving packages to airport and back for couple hours

TheKingOfQueens

I'm a partime loader in the twilight shift and also do Saturday air. I was approached about driving for a couple hours at night delivering packages to the airport and back on top of loading . I'd load for less hours but I'd drive when they need me to cover . Is this a good gig and does it help the process of becoming a full time driver ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Sure beats loading. Give you a lot of driving experience. Will not help you becoming FT driver except you will have a lot of driving experience. My guess is everyone else on Friday night wants to go out and party and you have to make the airport run. Go for it anyway.

Ouch

Seniority is the name of the game. Driving part time nor ass kissing will get you a full time job. Get in line and sign the bid sheets.

TheKingOfQueens

What would pay be ? I haven't gotten around to all the details yet but I know my opportunity for this shift is in the works . Did you enjoy it ? What time did you finish on days you were asked to drive ? Also on Fridays I punch out and leave by 10pm so I won't go over the 10 hour rule so I can drive Sat air. Will this opportunity interfere with my sat air ? Meaning do you think there will be days I might not finish by 10pm on a Friday ?
Thx for the input Pt Car washer . Really do appreciate the info !!

Sent using BrownCafe App

TheKingOfQueens

What's up Ouch. I never signed a bid list but I went to HR and asked to see where I was in the seniority list . I found that I was 36 on the list . Is this the list you're referring to? No ass kissing here my fellow UPS Brotha just hard work and total dedication to get where I wanna be and start my life and family :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mack Grant

I'm a partime loader in the twilight shift and also do Saturday air. I was approached about driving for a couple hours at night delivering packages to the airport and back on top of loading . I'd load for less hours but I'd drive when they need me to cover . Is this a good gig and does it help the process of becoming a full time driver ?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Go for it buddy.

TheKingOfQueens

36th? holy cow.
I was told by hr with the amount of guys retiring id be full time I'm 6 months give or take . This motivated me a lot and is def keeping my hopes high. Should I not place to much faith in what I was told TooTechie? Any input from a fellow Upser is greatly appreciated :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah...so um I'm thinking 36 guys aren't retiring in any center this year. When I started as a part timer I was told by HR that most people go driving in 1-3 years. I started working and then was told by everyone & their mother that the average was actually 4-6 years. I got the call 3 1/2 years in and that's really fast compared to smaller centers in my state. When I went to driving school there were guys from other centers that had been waiting 9 1/2 years. I also got my own route after only a year and a half of driving which is pretty unusual--granted I hear it's a crappy one ( haven't started it yet).

Ouch

[quheUpsGuy83, post: 1317510, member: 53081"]Replied to you Ouch . Just getting the hang of this app

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]
Hey wasnt trying to be an ass. I would do it as well. Just not wanting you to get your hopes up thinking you would go driving any sooner cause you run to the airport then get shot down by someone you have never even heard of. I hope you get to go driving ft soon. Make sure you look at all the bid sheets and sign them or you will never go. Look for the pt to ft bid. Hang in there and stay safe. No accidents.

TheKingOfQueens

Yeah...so um I'm thinking 36 guys aren't retiring in any center this year. When I started as a part timer I was told by HR that most people go driving in 1-3 years. I started working and then was told by everyone & their mother that the average was actually 4-6 years. I got the call 3 1/2 years in and that's really fast compared to smaller centers in my state. When I went to driving school there were guys from other centers that had been waiting 9 1/2 years. I also got my own route after only a year and a half of driving which is pretty unusual--granted I hear it's a crappy one ( haven't started it yet).
Congrats on the route Brotha ! Happy for you !! Nice to know hard work does pay off :). Hr and many other loaders tell me that for some reason or another many guys on the list just don't qualify for driving . Either there license is messed up or they just don't wanna drive . I was told to keep my attendance perfect as they check attendance and I'm sure guys with horrific attendance have less of a shot then guys with perfect attendance . . You think this might be accurate ??

Sent using BrownCafe App

TheKingOfQueens

[quheUpsGuy83, post: 1317510, member: 53081"]Replied to you Ouch . Just getting the hang of this app

Sent using BrownCafe App
Hey wasnt trying to be an ass. I would do it as well. Just not wanting you to get your hopes up thinking you would go driving any sooner cause you run to the airport then get shot down by someone you have never even heard of. I hope you get to go driving ft soon. Make sure you look at all the bid sheets and sign them or you will never go. Look for the pt to ft bid. Hang in there and stay safe. No accidents.[/quote]
No worries Brotha :). This bid list for Pt to full time driving is a list that I have to physically sign ? Completely different from the seniority list ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Congrats on the route Brotha ! Happy for you !! Nice to know hard work does pay off :). Hr and many other loaders tell me that for some reason or another many guys on the list just don't qualify for driving . Either there license is messed up or they just don't wanna drive . I was told to keep my attendance perfect as they check attendance and I'm sure guys with horrific attendance have less of a shot then guys with perfect attendance . . You think this might be accurate ??

Nope. It's purely seniority. Yeah, as far as the list, there will be plenty of people ahead of you that right off the bat either won't qualify to go to driving school due to motor vehicle history, background check, failing dot physical or just turn down the offer when they get the call. Good luck.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
No worries Brotha :). This bid list for Pt to full time driving is a list that I have to physically sign ? Completely different from the seniority list ?
Sent using BrownCafe App
Yeah, in order to be selected for driving school you:
Have to sign the PT to driver list posted in January of each year
Have an acceptable driving record
Pass a background check & DOT physical
Been an employee for at least 9 months
Be over 21 years of age

The 9 months can be waived if they have exhausted the other candidates.

TheKingOfQueens

Yeah, in order to be selected for driving school you:
Have to sign the PT to driver list posted in January of each year
Have an acceptable driving record
Pass a background check & DOT physical
Been an employee for at least 9 months
Be over 21 years of age

The 9 months can be waived if they have exhausted the other candidates.

Oh man TooTechie. I started on Sept 9th of 2013 so that means I missed the Jan sign up cuz I didn't even know it existed . So this means I have to wait till Jan 2015 to sign the list ? So then what's the seniority list that I had mentioned before that I'm 36 on ? Little confused . Sorry to be a pest.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Fedex Guy

I was told by hr with the amount of guys retiring id be full time I'm 6 months give or take . This motivated me a lot and is def keeping my hopes high. Should I not place to much faith in what I was told TooTechie? Any input from a fellow Upser is greatly appreciated :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Don't put faith into anything HR tells you about a FT timetable. They told be it would be at least 6 years and I just got full time yesterday after 2 1/2 years. I got lucky though. My center is putting out 33 full time drivers right now. As far as I understand that's unheard of. I think we have only put out 3 in the past 2 years.