Driving School Pay Questions

NewUPSguy

Hey,

It took awhile but I'll be going to driving school soon. Only prereq left is the road test.

First question is about the prereq CBTs (diad, swm, etc.) that are needed to be completed before school, which I just finished. My sup said these were done after my preload shift, off the clock. Is this correct? Took me about 10hrs to complete. An extra 10hrs OT would've been nice, since I currently get 5hrs a day.

Other question is about the pay during driving school. I was only told its M-friend, 40 hours. But is it at my current preload pay, air pay, cover driver pay? Also told you get gas/mileage reimbursed? Its about 40 miles between hubs.

Seems the more people I ask, the more different answers I get. Looking for some kind of consensus.

THanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any work you do in preparation for the class is on the clock.

The pay rate would not be your preload rate. I am pretty sure it would be cover driver rate.

You are paid for mileage unless you are provided transportation. Your room is paid for and you get a daily per diem.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Any work you do in preparation for the class is on the clock.

The pay rate would not be your preload rate. I am pretty sure it would be cover driver rate.

You are paid for mileage unless you are provided transportation. Your room is paid for and you get a daily per diem.

LOL. Good luck with the first one, they won't pay it.

You sure as hell don't get cover driver rate. For the week I maybe got $350ish

They don't pay anything for mileage. Room paid for, YES and no per diem AT ALL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which was how long ago? I went about 6 years ago, since the new kind of driving school came about.

I was sent after having driven for 10 years so either 1999 or 2000. The room was paid, we had continental breakfast, we got $10/day for lunch and the instructor put his credit card on the bar twice while I was there. We had lunch provided on Friday. We received mileage down and back---153 miles each way.

I had a ball. There was a mix of senior drivers, new drivers and new sups. I spent more time helping out the new drivers/sups. We went on road on Thursday.

degill7994

When I did my training I was really surprised when I got paid. Had been working pt about 8 yrs so I made a little over 15 an hr. When I got my check they paid me like 8 an hr.

Sent using BrownCafe App

platinum9898

For me i got paid 100$ a day. No more no less. A few months ago i went. Things are probably different everywhere. Ask HR ask a PC sup ask a Stewart. Call your local. Nothing will be automatically done for you "by the book"

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I was sent after having driven for 10 years so either 1999 or 2000. The room was paid, we had continental breakfast, we got $10/day for lunch and the instructor put his credit card on the bar twice while I was there. We had lunch provided on Friday. We received mileage down and back---153 miles each way.

I had a ball. There was a mix of senior drivers, new drivers and new sups. I spent more time helping out the new drivers/sups. We went on road on Thursday.

That was a kinder gentler time. I can't imagine them doing anything like that again.

So you got trained ten years after you started driving? I wish I could get more of the story it sounds interesting. One of the things I love about this site is perspective of what is done from other parts of the country :)

ibleedbrown

if ur going to integrad if u live far from the training site u get paid for ur mileage/airfare. u will get fed lunch, breakfast and dinner. depending on what state u live in u get paid 10.50 an hour or keep ur current pay rate.

rama

I went 2 intergrad last year. Pay depends on what ur going 4.. Tcd gets Tcd pay.. Air driver gets air pay etc.. I got paid for the safety ride but not for the computer stuff

JL 0513

Funny how much UPS spends on these 40 hour training weeks and the large majority of the time is DOK redundancy, as if it is the be all, end all of being a driver. Almost no time is spent on what it actually takes to do the job. During my week, we each got two 10-15 minute spins behind the wheel. Outside of DOK/safety stuff, the only other useful info was the computer modules that taught you the DIAD. Although I didn't grasp how to use it until my first week of driving using the real thing.

Seems like a big waste to pay someone 40 hours basically to make sure they can write down the DOK's word for word.