Driving School pointers

MassWineGuy

I'm likely going to get sent home tomorrow when we're given a quiz for our last day of training. I know all the concepts of the five habits and the 10 point, and I can name and discuss them. But I cannot repeat them verbatim. Oh well.

thatsmypackage

The driving school pass and fail criteria vary from area to area. Some instructors will look for reasons to fail you, some are lenient if they see you can handle the vehicle and have a grasp of the DOK. Learning the DOK in a weeks time is ridiculous but unfortunately expected of you... but if you show that you've been studying it, they might not break balls too much. Most important thing is skilled driving and using your mirrors and camera like a maniac. Be humble and honest with the instructor too. They want you to use the E brake every time your at a traffic light... which is also ridiculous, but required to get through the driving portion.

I only had to do the first 2 days of the school because I am a rehire, drove the truck, which was standard shift... through rush hour traffic in Manhattan... while being asked to recite the 10 point commentary... 'sigh' ... all this for seasonal employment. LOL!

BUCN85

Basically. A lot of memorization. I honestly feel they care about that more than if you can drive. I guess schools do vary. My class was very laid back. They were looking to pass you and teach you. Make sure you memorize. I got docked for adding a "an" and missing an "of" I did on road training in Downtown Columbus during pouring down rain. It was fun

Last edited:

BCFan

Forget that 10 point junk they don't care if you know it or not.....been here 34 years and never once recited that bunk! But then again management tends to avoid me!

cb1969

You do have to know it verbatim...just listen and drive safe and follow each and every instruction and always be early......

QualityLoads

Hello Browncafe, didnt want to post a new thread. Im going to driving school this monday . besides the 8 keys, 5 ways to avoid slip and falls,5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, and 5 rules for backing. What else should i expect? Mainly how much driving will i be asked to do? will i be using the DIAD? Will i be making deliveries and/or mock deliveries? Thank you guys, wish me luck... ive been waiting 4 long months in preload for this opportunity:devil3:.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

4 long months?!?! Guys wait 5 years to go driving. Anyway, pay attention have a good attitude, learn and memorize everything. Driving is such a small Portion of it. Better learn that diad! GOOD LUCK

Sent using BrownCafe App

9.5er

4 long months?!?! Guys wait 5 years to go driving. Anyway, pay attention have a good attitude, learn and memorize everything. Driving is such a small Portion of it. Better learn that diad! GOOD LUCK

Sent using BrownCafe App
Our next guy in line has been waiting 14 years! It has been so long since we have had a new driver I'm still refered to as the rookie. I've been driving 10 years.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My driving training back in the stone age was: "Just don't be stupid". After that we put it in gear and drove off to the first stop.

HubBub

Where I am: Know the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits and 5 rules of backing verbatim, written and verbally (and I mean verbatim). Then passing the 2 minute drill in a stick shift package car (I forget how many "eye movement" exactly). Honestly it was a long boring week of computer stuff and almost no actual on road experience. Easy money though.

oldngray

nowhere special
Where I am: Know the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits and 5 rules of backing verbatim, written and verbally (and I mean verbatim). Then passing the 2 minute drill in a stick shift package car (I forget how many "eye movement" exactly). Honestly it was a long boring week of computer stuff and almost no actual on road experience. Easy money though.

That time would have been much better spent having you drive around most of the time and less classwork. A few minutes of actual experience is more valuable than hours of classroom study. But the people in charge of training are mostly geeks with little real world experience so they like to pay trainees to waste their time. It is what it is.