Driving school question ..this can't be right

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Climbingtheladder, Oct 5, 2013.

1. So I go to driving school the week after next and I was told by another employee going to class with me that he was told our driving class is only going to be three days ? This sounds not possible to me. Anyone heard of this or is this just another case of sups not knowing what they are talking about and giving out false info like usual?
  2. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

Doesn't matter. It's a waste of time.
  3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I have been a full time driver for 7 years. Class never stops learn something new every day.
  4. brown67

brown67 Active Member

How long do want? My driving class took 5 minutes. Sup drove me around the block, and that was it.
  5. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

My driving school was a full 40 hour week, which all new drivers are required to do. Actual on road driving per person was only 20-30 minutes. The rest computer DIAD training and going over and over and over safety stuff.

Did you not go through a full safety coarse and DIAD training? 5 minutes to become a driver seems odd.
  6. Box Ox

Box Ox Would rather be driving an E-frame

I'm headed there this week. 2 days. The driving component has been removed.
  7. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

They sometimes do an abbreviated version for casuals or those who previously went to driving school.
  8. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Here at UPS they teach you daily. Each day they point at least one thing you did wrong.
  9. Im not going to do anything wrong tomorrow! Because im calling off!...lol
  10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

That's the only right thing we can do.
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

But that's wrong to them too lol. The big brown machine stops dead in its tracks....IVE GOTTA's not coming in...how will we move packages today....who's gonna cover his route?? lol who cares?? :panicsmiley:
  12. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

I found this out quickly about this job. Very rarely do you get a compliment on a job well done even though you go out there and bust your balls everyday. But whenever something isn't done right or if you go over plan then you get a talk the next morning even when it's a rare occurrence.
  13. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Coooommm pllliii...ment?? At ups?? What's that like?
  14. BrownChoice

BrownChoice Active Member

A compliment at BIG BROWN is extra stops!! The harder you work the better job you do, the more stops you will continue to get!!!
  15. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

same thing with customers; all you see/read/view on youtubes on the internet are complaints & bad drivers/couriers... rare to see someone going above/beyond the job anymore due to stockholders/productivity standards now
  16. bowflex

bowflex Guest

if you are getting sent to integrad its a week if it is a class at your hub its 3 days.
  17. BrownChoice

BrownChoice Active Member

I went to a larger center about 2 hour drive from my center. It was not integrad and it was a 37 hour orientation.
    was taught by the H.R. Manager and an on car supe, and was talked to by division manager, loss prevention, and the mechanic manager.
  18. brown67

brown67 Active Member

Things were a lot different then. Better and worse. No Diad when I started air driving, so sup showed me how to sheet a package and then we drove around the block and that was it. Drove airs for a couple years like that.

Diad 1 came out a month or two before I went driving full-time. Spent five minutes showing us how to use it one Saturday morning before I left to deliver Sat. airs. No computer training existed back then just call us if you have a problem. Which was joke because the sups didn't know how to use it either. It was just too new. Just had to figure it out. I had used it as an air driver and Sat. driver, so I already knew how to use Diad when I went full-time.

Was suppose to have 3 full days of training on a training route when I went full-time, but only got 1 full day and the other 2 days the sup left at lunch.

No safety training either. Went over a few thing on my training days, no DOK's back then either.