Driving School

mavs972

I just passed my road test, but I don't have much experience in a manual. I just learned manual in my friends car 3 sessions before my road test. How does driving school go day by day?
Like what do you do on Monday through Friday. How much more practice time will I have driving the package car, and how much more strict is the road test in school. I didn't stall the vehicle but was bouncing all over the place on take off, I'm hoping I can have at least a day of training driving the PC.

Justaname

Practice as much as possible, because there is no practice out there. If you pass it's actually one of the greatest feelings you'll ever have. Good luck!

iowa boy

At intergrad the only stick you will drive is out on the integration station and you will only use reverse and first gear. The cars they take you on the road with are automatics.

OptimusPrime

Don't mind these folks. Hardly anyone gets sent to Intergrad. My assumption is that it costs some coin, especially with room and board. Just some corp blowhard crap. As for a car vs. a package car in terms of a manual trans? Give the gas hell! Really. Slam that bitch in gear, slip the clutch a tad, and just romp on the "go" pedal. Main dif between a car and and a PC.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We don't have intergrad. Just a brown truck that looks like a school bus. Manual school bus. You better know how to drive that stick when stopped on the way up University Hill.

gotbrown

I can tell you where i am at that during that week of training you drive twice on what they call safety rides in a converted pc with windows and seats also with half the class with you so let someone else go first to get an idea how it is , get as much practice in your friends car, there is no practice there as long as you drive safe you will pass...

mavs972

I'm not sure what is intergrad, I work the Dallas Hub , and I'm being sent to the DFW airport for training. Yeah I noticed you had to take off with some gas, on a normal car you can take off without clutch and add gas later, here I had to give it quite a bit of gas. I didn't have to back up during the road test so my question is, I can't just back up with brake and clutch in reverse gear? or do I have to almost floor to back up as well.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm not sure what is intergrad, I work the Dallas Hub , and I'm being sent to the DFW airport for training. Yeah I noticed you had to take off with some gas, on a normal car you can take off without clutch and add gas later, here I had to give it quite a bit of gas. I didn't have to back up during the road test so my question is, I can't just back up with brake and clutch in reverse gear? or do I have to almost floor to back up as well.

You will do well.:devil3:

(Yeah, I'm in a 'mood' tonight.)

Justaname

Don't mind these folks. Hardly anyone gets sent to Intergrad. My assumption is that it costs some coin, especially with room and board. Just some corp blowhard crap. As for a car vs. a package car in terms of a manual trans? Give the gas hell! Really. Slam that bitch in gear, slip the clutch a tad, and just romp on the "go" pedal. Main dif between a car and and a PC.
At my center we go to integrad. Maybe his will be like yours.

mavs972

I will be on day 3 tomorrow of driving school, can someone detail more specifically what to call out while driving. Like left mirror clear, left intersection dirty, point of decision. If on one lane traffic, do you also call oncoming traffic dirty, or what about if your on the very right lane, what counts as dirty or clean if their is no lane beside you. I have to get over 45 points on it tomorrow, also my written test is tomorrow, if you're not word for word you're disqualified.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I will be on day 3 tomorrow of driving school, can someone detail more specifically what to call out while driving. Like left mirror clear, left intersection dirty, point of decision. If on one lane traffic, do you also call oncoming traffic dirty, or what about if your on the very right lane, what counts as dirty or clean if their is no lane beside you. I have to get over 45 points on it tomorrow, also my written test is tomorrow, if you're not word for word you're disqualified.
The hookers are dirty and the school kids are clean
:wink2:(jk)

OptimusPrime

In my experience, it seemed to help if you were specific. "Left mirror clean, front, dirty, camera clean, yadda yadda" didn't show that you were really taking in your surroundings. I did something like this. "Left mirror dirty, red Ford Taurus slowly approaching rear of the package car. Front shows a dirty intersection, red light, dude in a Knicks jersey on the phone looking to cross, camera now shows the Taurus pulling up to my bumper. Right mirror clean, but can't see the Ford".

Now this next part is kind of "proceed with caution". Not to instill a lazy attitude in you, but maybe put your nerves at rest. First off, the training guys preached all that word for word nonsense. In reality, wasn't the case. If you turned in a test that was roughly what it should be, you passed. If you had one missing or something really off, they would take you aside and kind of nudge you in the right direction. "You sure about #9, maybe take a look at it, remember we gotta look over our left shoulder sometimes". Maybe not that blatant, but they got guys through.

As for the clean, dirty mirror drill, it's kind of funny. You have probably never ridden in the jumpseat. But as for someone who has, if the driver has he mirrors properly adjusted, you really don't have a good look at either left or right. They might have a decent look at the back cam, but IIRC, they don't. Just get diarrhea of the mouth. Call out pot holes, oil stains, stray cats, bums, just keep your mouth running.

Justaname

Just honk and wave to pedestrians like you're in a parade! Also, randomly yell billboard billboard billboard. After you pass intersections you can then say clear. every time your instructor asks a questions answer it with another question. When going under a bridge ask the instructor what the clearance was. Finally, remember 10 and 2 are for wimps, so grab that **** with one hand at 12!

menotyou

bella amicizia
It was a funny comment, and if the kid went to driver school in Syracuse, he could shout that comment on half the ride every day.