Driving with ear buds

Savvy412

I just put my iPhone in my cupholder. Speaker facing down.

Some days I have a diesel and ya you can't hear it that well while driving but when you stop or are moving slow you can . I just listen to podcasts. Really helps make the day not to "workworkwork". Does not distract me ....

When I'm not listening I tend to day dream more and pass stops .

StoptheAct1212

They wanted to get rid of him..... finally found a reason...... btw i think talking to co workers durring the day is actually ok. They are truly the only ones that understand the stuff we deal with on a daily basis.....

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
If drivers got fired for using ear buds half the center would be out of a job.

Guy drove out of our center today with one of those big DeWalt "industrial" boomboxes blasting Boston all the way down the road.

And I begin dreaming
Till I see my P-1000 drivin' away

barnyard

KTM rider
In my state, it's against the law to wear them while driving. We had a Georgia State Patrol officer at a PCM telling us this a few years ago. It's one of those laws that isn't enforced much. This falls under distracted driving.

Same in my state. You can have 1 earpiece in, but not 2. I have also never heard of it being ticketed.

barnyard

KTM rider
If he were asked if he were wearing them and denied it, he was fired for dishonesty, a cardinal infraction.

Do you want fries with that??

greenroomgal

In most cases that I have observed, ones with ear buds are having a phone conversation. Ones with an ear bud are listening to music. If using blue tooth it's less conspicuous than having a cord dangling which in my opinion slows the wearer down no matter what the job is. They have not specified at our facility wether it's distracted driving or not. It's probably a case by case scenario. If you do your job in a timely manner, have no accidents, and work is credible then there should be no issue unless osha has a problem? Sounds fishy to me.....

beefybudds

I must add that we can not hardwire our radios into the truck anymore. To many fools not knowing how to wire radios that caused fires. Not in my center. So the mechanic cut all the wire's and now we have to use or own battery's. I use a dry cell atv battery that will last me 2 weeks between charges.
We have a few guys that use a big ass semi battery that they get over a month of use.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's not even legal in my state, not permitted while working inside, and definitely a no no for drivers.
Actually OSHA allows in-ear hearing protection including earbuds. I went through this locally, was practically walked out over it more than once...and now I don't have any issues in the building. we've got kids coming in rocking out with their beats headphones or whatever, now. It's awesome. Sure the co-workers enjoyed the drama at the time.. :D

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Off-topic, but the whole "only one ear bud allowed in building" thing was just a power-play by the UPS gulag to assert its control over people. Has nothing to do with safety or communicating, which is kind of predictable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually OSHA allows in-ear hearing protection including earbuds. I went through this locally, was practically walked out over it more than once...and now I don't have any issues in the building. we've got kids coming in rocking out with their beats headphones or whatever, now. It's awesome. Sure the co-workers enjoyed the drama at the time.. :D
Off-topic, but the whole "only one ear bud allowed in building" thing was just a power-play by the UPS gulag to assert its control over people. Has nothing to do with safety or communicating, which is kind of predictable.

How are you able to hear the emergency evacuation signal?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
All of that said, I still use both ear buds while on the road. I only listen to podcasts, and they don't block any noise I would hear without them. Going through the scales, I always pull the right one out.