Dropboxes Now Take Ground?

pkgdriver

Trplnkl,
That makes total sense! To me at least. People outside our organization might not "get it". I also think it hurts our reputation when an air driver tells a customer he can't take his grounds because "UPS will have to pay me a higher wage for the day and it will screw up the manager's numbers because it forces another route to be added to the numbers wether the driver makes 1 ground stop or 150.

Try explaining that to our customers when our company is based on service and not making certain numbers. We are talking about numbers that make absolutely no sense in this situation. Let's break it down.

The customer needs a ground pick-up at 8pm and it can only be made by an air driver because he is the only one working. If we want to be know for our excellent service than the center manager must allow the air driver to make the pick-up.

The manager is not really concerned that he will have to pay an extra $8 per hour for the day to the driver. What kills him is the fact the air route now becomes a ground route in his numbers, meaning on his operation report it shows an extra route for the day, when there really isn't.

This is where I laugh at UPS. The numbers "show" an extra route-meaning labor,fuel,wear and tear on the vehicle, benefits, etc. But the only thing hurting the bottom line would be the higher labor cost. The route was going out to make pick-ups to begin with. Now, it will be a tad less profitable because of labor cost. It won't, however, be as damaging as the operation report will show. Why UPS does this to themselves, I will never understand:whiteflag:

Great post/explanation IMO
Maybe our management posters can explain

705red

Browncafe Steward
It's not the ground I'm worried about but rather the internationals. People will address a pkg. to France and drop it in the box. No documentation, no invoices, no international waybill. Nightmare.
You should be worried about the ground packages. In the past this is how we protected our ftime driving jobs. If the air driver touched a ground he/she was steeped up in pay. Now under your new contract article 26 ups can use air drivers to pick up grounds after the ftime driver has already made his daily pick up. An air driver now becomes an exception driver at normal air rate pay with no chance of getting step up pay. Now as a package driver ups can have you pick up your bigger accounts earlier and get you in off the clock and allow air drivers to clean up.

Chicago keeps fprgeting that we are not under the national contract and have attempted this here. Thank god we can still grieve this and provide a little job security for a package car driver.

over9five

Staff member
If ups wants to just work me 8 hours per day and let a P/Ter clean up, geez I reckon I'll just have to bite the bullit.

The problem is that is only the beginning. That starts a huge downward spiral to where a part-timer will do the morning part of your route, and a different part-timer will do the afternoon part of your route.

The writing is on the wall....