Dropping like Flys

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I always find it hilarious how sales tries to verbally fellate us. They tells us how amazing we all are and how the company is nothing without us but what do we get if we get them a sales lead? Maybe a thanks if they decide to grace us with their presence?

At the end of the day, I drive off in my beater while they're leaving in their Mercedes Benz.

Exactly. This is why every one of my sales "leads" is a dead-end. I've used biker bars, used car lots and even made-up non-existent businesses just to waste their time. You give them a good lead and they could realize a huge commission, and all you get is the effing donut.

No, thank you.

BigTex61

Exactly. This is why every one of my sales "leads" is a dead-end. I've used biker bars, used car lots and even made-up non-existent businesses just to waste their time. You give them a good lead and they could realize a huge commission, and all you get is the effing donut.

No, thank you.
It's an assumption amongst drivers at our station that any sales lead we're forced to get will be a dead end and a complete waste of time. It's our duty to help Fedex maintain minimal margins.

TUT

Tut, wrong again. They all drive High end cars, live in Big Houses and act like total a#### at our stations. We know because we deliver their packages.

This did start with an "inside" sales person. You are most likely talking field level and higher (field levels most likely also get an allowance, which probably states the cars have to be somewhat new, common sales perk) . Yes you will have some sales people in Fedex making 100k plus, that is sales for you and if they are landing big contracts, that is what the profession pays, not only Fedex, not only UPS, but any big time sales position. That career path was/is open to any person that has ever come to the Bcafe.

And to add to that, these people with big houses, could easily have two successful people working within its walls. There is nothing wrong with making a nice living. It is possible you live with all :censored2:s around you, that I can't say. I do know the people I've worked with at Fedex, they are very happy with the drivers in general and sympatheic with the daily demands that are on you. If they tell that to your face or not, again I can't say, but they say it clearly to me. I will say sometimes a driver drops the ball and that can upset them, but grand scheme, they and I get it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This did start with an "inside" sales person. You are most likely talking field level and higher (field levels most likely also get an allowance, which probably states the cars have to be somewhat new, common sales perk) . Yes you will have some sales people in Fedex making 100k plus, that is sales for you and if they are landing big contracts, that is what the profession pays, not only Fedex, not only UPS, but any big time sales position. That career path was/is open to any person that has ever come to the Bcafe.

And to add to that, these people with big houses, could easily have two successful people working within its walls. There is nothing wrong with making a nice living. It is possible you live with all :censored2:s around you, that I can't say. I do know the people I've worked with at Fedex, they are very happy with the drivers in general and sympatheic with the daily demands that are on you. If they tell that to your face or not, again I can't say, but they say it clearly to me. I will say sometimes a driver drops the ball and that can upset them, but grand scheme, they and I get it.

Ah, Tut...you understand so little, Grasshopper. Our sales people almost always drive high-end cars like BMWs and Mercedes, almost always new, not "somewhat new". That's because they're making big bucks, especially off of the slave labor Ground product. And I think that most long-term employees have had the experience of providing a dynamic lead that provided hundreds of thousands of additional revenue for FedEx, only to receive ZERO in return, while the salesperson enjoyed both a huge commission and recognition. When we do see a salesperson, they might have a donut for us in return for our efforts in their behalf. This is why very few couriers even bother with leads (other than fakes/non-producers), because there is nothing in it for us.

I've known very few hourlies who progressed to Sales. Most came from other sales positions in big companies, so they were already in the business, so to speak. It's easy to tell, because most know nothing about operations, as in they'll happily tell a customer we'll provide an 1800 daily when the aircraft or CTV departs at 1830.

You don't "get it" at all.

DontThrowPackages

giphy.gif
Must have been start of the season. Brand new glove and doesn't look too broken in. Still, this should never happen in the majors.

DontThrowPackages

I always find it hilarious how sales tries to verbally fellate us. They tells us how amazing we all are and how the company is nothing without us but what do we get if we get them a sales lead? Maybe a thanks if they decide to grace us with their presence?

At the end of the day, I drive off in my beater while they're leaving in their Mercedes Benz.
Sales people pass through the company let travelers going through Flagstaff.

Maui

Tut, you are correct. There are a few inside sales locations and the pay is typically between 40k-50K. Most people never see the inside reps because the work is like call centers. I've been to the one in Phoenix.

Field sales typically do very well, but hourlies are rarely selected for the field without lots of prior sales experience. Most likely one would have to start inside and hope to be promoted to the field and very few drivers would like that.

Inside sales pays OK for an entry level job, but there are many drivers that make more.

TUT

You don't "get it" at all.

Honestly you don't want to hear it. It is you against not just Fedex, but the entire machine. Sales is risk/reward, they do get paid well if they sell, this is the world over. Sales is considered as critical a dept as production, as it is a chicken-egg situation.

But I was on que, can't help it people forget where the conversation started from, "inside sales". Field level, they drive new cars because the company and their program make them otherwise they don't get their allowance for one, it is standard fare again for the sales profession, not to drive into a lot to sell with a '98 Corolla. If you think production level workers deserve that, well your union competitors don't even get that perk as a driver. Sales is a bit about image and can say they never leave their jobs like an hourly, the do have to server me potentially at all hours if the situation calls for it, it is far from an easy job.

I do live in a higher cost of living area, so perhaps the sales reps in the field I ('ve) worked with don't have enough extra $$$ to by the BMW's and Benz's. Perhaps in lower cost of living area's they can keep more of their money and have bigger homes and more high-end cars.

You are correct, a driver will just not be handed a sales job without making a strong move to work their way there. But I bet I could ping some of my Fedex contacts to find some that have.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Tut, you are correct. There are a few inside sales locations and the pay is typically between 40k-50K. Most people never see the inside reps because the work is like call centers. I've been to the one in Phoenix.

Field sales typically do very well, but hourlies are rarely selected for the field without lots of prior sales experience. Most likely one would have to start inside and hope to be promoted to the field and very few drivers would like that.

Inside sales pays OK for an entry level job, but there are many drivers that make more.
Honestly you don't want to hear it. It is you against not just Fedex, but the entire machine. Sales is risk/reward, they do get paid well if they sell, this is the world over. Sales is considered as critical a dept as production, as it is a chicken-egg situation.

But I was on que, can't help it people forget where the conversation started from, "inside sales". Field level, they drive new cars because the company and their program make them otherwise they don't get their allowance for one, it is standard fare again for the sales profession, not to drive into a lot to sell with a '98 Corolla. If you think production level workers deserve that, well your union competitors don't even get that perk as a driver. It is a bit about image.

I do live in a higher cost of living area, so perhaps the sales reps in the field I ('ve) worked with don't have enough extra $$$ to by the BMW's and Benz's. Perhaps in lower cost of living area's they can keep more of their money and have bigger homes and more high-end cars.

You are correct, a driver will just not be handed a sales job without making a strong move to work their way there. But I bet I could ping some of my Fedex contacts to find some that have.

In all of my years with FedEx I have seen exactly 2 couriers make it into (outside, or field) Sales. One quit within a year (would have been fired anyway), and the other is quite successful. Our sales reps drive fancy cars because they can afford it, not just for the image.

One locally famous incident involved a large manufacturer, where one of our CSAs had basically secured the account through tremendous service and an encyclopedic knowledge of International. She really knew her stuff, and because this company was the local everything, they got their freight when others didn't. All the Sales guy had to do was go in and close the deal.

Anyway, they "rewarded" her with a plaque, with her name spelled incorrectly. The district Sales Manager. who made the presentation, got her first name wrong in addition to her surname. It was a total embarrassment. Her financial reward for a multi-million dollar account...zero. I heard the rep got about $75,000 for landing the account.

He drives an AMG Mercedes...new.

TeamLift

Hey dipS__T the shipper (paying for Sig) is the customer... not the end recipient.... End of story.

The end recipient is the only person I care about, to hell with your so called customer known as the shipper, I have no face to face with them.

TUT

In all of my years with FedEx I have seen exactly 2 couriers make it into (outside, or field) Sales. One quit within a year (would have been fired anyway), and the other is quite successful. Our sales reps drive fancy cars because they can afford it, not just for the image.

One locally famous incident involved a large manufacturer, where one of our CSAs had basically secured the account through tremendous service and an encyclopedic knowledge of International. She really knew her stuff, and because this company was the local everything, they got their freight when others didn't. All the Sales guy had to do was go in and close the deal.

Anyway, they "rewarded" her with a plaque, with her name spelled incorrectly. The district Sales Manager. who made the presentation, got her first name wrong in addition to her surname. It was a total embarrassment. Her financial reward for a multi-million dollar account...zero. I heard the rep got about $75,000 for landing the account.

He drives an AMG Mercedes...new.

Right all that can happen, your point? How many drivers/handlers are there per sales person? 25 to 1, 50 to 1? Yes, it is competitive and a position has to be open to have a chance at it. College educated probably matters to. How the globe spins...

As for your CSA (I assume that means some one in op's), well surely there is going to be a story about Op's getting some business, doesn't mean that is normal, that is using resources. In general from my exp. there are good relations between customer shipping depts and your op's teams as well as your sales team and IT team, it all pretty much has to work. Pretty much any dept that isn't sales won't get a dime from the new business, IT/automation could play a large role in landing a big contract to, I bet they don't get extra dollars for it, that is their job with expectations set. Sales one of the reason to go that route is the possibility to hit it big, as I mentioned it is risk/reward, there can be dry stretches as well. Again the world over.

So your situation again isn't unique at all, Sales has a chance of doing very well if they can grow their base. You mentioned "all the sales guy had to do was go in and close the deal", no he has to live with supporting that account from that point forward like the rest of your teams. You refuse to see the responsibilities of sales and that imo is your bad. If there was a way I could snap fingers and you'd be in their shoes for a bit, like any job there is a work part associated to it and most likely a "new gained respect". But it's all about woe's me, with you and doing nothing more than complaining about it. Spiteful.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Y'all want to hear something funny? I was just talking to one of the mechanics at my station. His attitude was like WTF?! They can't keep our trucks out of the body shop. We always have six in the shop. As one comes out, another goes in.

The quality, newbie couriers being hired are banging up the trucks, parking them in the building and not reporting the accidents to mgmt. One guy hit a tree, bent the front bumper til it was scraping the tire, and parked it like it was nothing. Another one backed a 900 so hard into a dock that it did thousands in body damage. Again, no report. FedEx is getting what they pay for. Lol.

whenIgetthere

Y'all want to hear something funny? I was just talking to one of the mechanics at my station. His attitude was like WTF?! They can't keep our trucks out of the body shop. We always have six in the shop. As one comes out, another goes in.

The quality, newbie couriers being hired are banging up the trucks, parking them in the building and not reporting the accidents to mgmt. One guy hit a tree, bent the front bumper til it was scraping the tire, and parked it like it was nothing. Another one backed a 900 so hard into a dock that it did thousands in body damage. Again, no report. FedEx is getting what they pay for. Lol.

We've had two newbies terminated since peak for unreported accidents.

BigTex61

More like getting what they refuse to pay for which is quality people.

Ha, Ha, Ha! Smith you cheap sorry bastard.
Same thing at our cell block, so many wrecked trucks we had to get rentals. Now 2 of the rentals are crumpled up in the parking lot waiting for budget to come by and get them. The newbies are also hitting our cars in the parking lot. If this new wave of people are Fedex's future, we're screwed!