Drug rehab:what's your opinion

C

Cydia

So yea I'm a real idiot and I have made a few stupid
decisions during my 20 ish yrs with ups, one of them is using marijuana.
I'm a smoke pot before bed kind of guy or kind of drug addict, I know that's how some people look at it and I won't argue the point. It is what it is. I have kept my nose clean and stayed out of trouble until recently when I got arrested for something stupid (drug related)my lawyer says it will probably be dismissed or I'll end up paying fines so I'm not to worried about the legal end of it. HOWEVER unfortunately the township in which it happened puts your photo on their Facebook page. So everybody at work is aware of the situation and I am expecting a drug test upon returning to work. I took three weeks vacation immediately upon hearing that my photo was online, I ordered some at home drug test's and unfortunately my urine still tests positive for THC.Obviously I'm done with using marijuana it's been almost a month but that will mean nothing if they hand me a cup on Monday . I am well aware of protocol, two trained mgt must observe employee action or appearing under the influence but let's be real, they can test me if they want and I won't have a leg to stand on when it comes back positive. I honestly believe I deserve it. From a company standpoint they deserve sober employees so (I'm not crying the-this is unfair blues-I made my bed and in it I shall sleep)my plan is to call the union this morning and request a voluntary admission To rehab as My only goal at this point is maintaining employment. So I guess I'm looking for any advice / opinions / and input that you guys might have, I know I can count on my fellows upsers to be brutally honest . Thanks guys
JUST SAY NO ;(

C

Cydia

I read somewhere on here that we can request a blood test if were pulled in for a urine screen. From what I found online a bloodtest would show negative since it's been 3 weeks. I'm just worried that my union won't do the right thing .

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'd go ahead and just do rehab, I mean it's better than losing your job. I know numerous people at my hub that have done it, some multiple times lol. Everyone usually comes back refreshed and ready to kick ass.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I read somewhere on here that we can request a blood test if were pulled in for a urine screen. From what I found online a bloodtest would show negative since it's been 3 weeks. I'm just worried that my union won't do the right thing .
Have you spoken to your BA...what did he say?

jrh

Yeah definitely call your BA to get that ball rolling, but it could be that management has no idea. It must be some small town you live in if you're worried they all check that facebook page. If it's been three weeks you're still testing positive? Drink tons of water to wash yourself out and get a bunch of exercise this weekend, because thc metabolites are stored in fat and they'll be released and drained if you work them out. I'm serious about the water, drink tons because it'll dilute your urine come monday. I wouldn't admit anything until you absolutely have to.

Also if you called in vacation why do you have to come in on monday?

jrh

Also dude don't be hard on yourself, eventually weed will be legal everywhere. You have nothing to be ashamed about, aside from all the money wasted buying the stuff. That'll always stick with you.

Call your BA. Depending on your job classification and your local area rules you may only be subject to reasonable cause testing. The company must observe you exhibit signs of being under the influence before they can drug test you. That said you work for a trucking company, drugs/alcohol use and abuse do not mix with your chosen career. Make a choice. If pot is that important to you move to Colorado and live your life. If it's not that important stop using and continue on in your chosen career. If they call you in the office; before they have a chance to speak, tell them you have a drug problem and are seeking help from them to get yourself healthy.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So yea I'm a real idiot and I have made a few stupid
decisions during my 20 ish yrs with ups, one of them is using marijuana.
I'm a smoke pot before bed kind of guy or kind of drug addict, I know that's how some people look at it and I won't argue the point. It is what it is. I have kept my nose clean and stayed out of trouble until recently when I got arrested for something stupid (drug related)my lawyer says it will probably be dismissed or I'll end up paying fines so I'm not to worried about the legal end of it. HOWEVER unfortunately the township in which it happened puts your photo on their Facebook page. So everybody at work is aware of the situation and I am expecting a drug test upon returning to work. I took three weeks vacation immediately upon hearing that my photo was online, I ordered some at home drug test's and unfortunately my urine still tests positive for THC.Obviously I'm done with using marijuana it's been almost a month but that will mean nothing if they hand me a cup on Monday . I am well aware of protocol, two trained mgt must observe employee action or appearing under the influence but let's be real, they can test me if they want and I won't have a leg to stand on when it comes back positive. I honestly believe I deserve it. From a company standpoint they deserve sober employees so (I'm not crying the-this is unfair blues-I made my bed and in it I shall sleep)my plan is to call the union this morning and request a voluntary admission To rehab as My only goal at this point is maintaining employment. So I guess I'm looking for any advice / opinions / and input that you guys might have, I know I can count on my fellows upsers to be brutally honest . Thanks guys
JUST SAY NO ;(

I'm assuming you're not in feeders and that you're in package car. That means that the drug testing must be with just cause, ie. post accident or from being observed.

If you're given a piss test, you have the right to 1) have a union rep present and 2) to also give a blood sample simultaneously. If your piss is positive for THC and the blood is negative, you're given a warning letter. If both are positive, you can be fired.

Everyone's body is different, but unless you were a hardcore stoner I doubt that marijuana metabolites are still in your blood after 3 weeks.

As an aside, posting someone's picture on Facebook for a crime they're accused of committing is bull:censored2:. What the hell happened to due process in this country?

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So everybody at work is aware of the situation and I am expecting a drug test upon returning to work. I took three weeks vacation immediately upon hearing that my photo was online.

Out of your entire post....

This is the only thing, I have a question about.

-Bug-

Inthegame

You're doing the pot and you're worried about your union not doing the right thing?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Cydia, Many believe marijuana is harmless and not a gateway drug. What is your opinion?

I tell you this. I personally have nothing but respect for folks like yourself that turn themselves around. When you see someone living clean, the past is just the past.

Along with rehab, I wonder if there is supports groups for recovering addicts? I would advise both. Good luck.

barnyard

KTM rider
Your contract book has all the relevant information that you need. There is lots of misinformation in this thread, your best bet is to read your contract, contact your BA and you should also talk to your Dr about rehab options and testing.

Weed may be legal in some states, but it is still a federal offense, we are covered under federal DOT rules.

bbsam

Staff member
Can UPS use the arrest as reasonable cause. Because if they can, I think at that point (as soon as they request the testing) it's too late to hit the rehab farm.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am going to take a different approach on this issue.

I think, you should resign from UPS and move on to a different career. UPS needs people with integrity, people who can control themselves and their behaviors.

Your co workers also depend on you being of sound mind and judgement. One stupid action on your part could (in theory) hurt a co worker.

Doing drugs is one of the weakest things a person can do. It signals a real weakness in your character.

I for one, wouldnt want a drug user of any kind working alongside myself.

You should seek treatment, accept your shame in your town, and move on. UPS isnt the place for people with addictions.

Addictions lead to other things, like theft, you are already dishonest and this by way of arrest.

Find a better way to live your life. Find the strength to become an adult free of dependancy.

If not, you are doomed to repeat your mistakes over and over until you commit a more serious crime and then your next job may be punching out license plates.

That is brutally honest.

TOS.

bbsam

Staff member
I am going to take a different approach on this issue.

I think, you should resign from UPS and move on to a different career. UPS needs people with integrity, people who can control themselves and their behaviors.

Your co workers also depend on you being of sound mind and judgement. One stupid action on your part could (in theory) hurt a co worker.

Doing drugs is one of the weakest things a person can do. It signals a real weakness in your character.

I for one, wouldnt want a drug user of any kind working alongside myself.

You should seek treatment, accept your shame in your town, and move on. UPS isnt the place for people with addictions.

Addictions lead to other things, like theft, you are already dishonest and this by way of arrest.

Find a better way to live your life. Find the strength to become an adult free of dependancy.

If not, you are doomed to repeat your mistakes over and over until you commit a more serious crime and then your next job may be punching out license plates.

That is brutally honest.

TOS.
You may also be brutally wrong. Addiction can be treated and the individual become a productive and valued member of the company. The company 8s still waiting for ORION to pay off. Why not give a driver a second shot?