Drug test for peak season Package Drivers in GA???

T

Turdferguson

Why is having sleep apnea a driving issue.....doesn't it only happen while
you're asleep? I sense I'm asking a stupid question...,
It's because with apnea they think the person does not get enough rest and could fall asleep while driving. Best thing it did for me was no more headaches when I woke up from the blood vessels in my head constricting from lack of oxygen

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why is having sleep apnea a driving issue.....doesn't it only happen while
you're asleep? I sense I'm asking a stupid question...,

From what I hear it's the flave of the year with the DOT. From what I understand about severe apnea, it will interfere with sleep so much it will cause you to be sleepy all day with the possibility of dozing of while driving.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
unicorn.jpg

browniehound

Soz Mate but that is incorrect. In Georgia during the physical to get the DOT card one urinates into a cup and a strip is inserted into the urine to check for drugs.
I was involved in a serious accident on the job about 20 years ago( i was rear ended while stopped with my turn signal on,in the turning lane) and due to the damage done to the car that hit me and the injuries sustained by the people in the car even though I was not at fault I was drug tested

The strip is inserted into your pee to test for glucose in your urine They are testing for diabetes, not drugs. 75% of our center's workforce would be terminated if they tested for drugs. Weed can stay in your system for 30+ days. Just because you smoked a joint on a Saturday 23 days ago doesn't mean you're under the influence on the road today even if your urine says you are.

browniehound

I must assume you don't drink alcohol, right? If I weren't in feeders, nothing would be finer than sitting on the back porch while I'm BBQing, drinking a few brews and smoking a J. But I can't. I can live with that.
Life is all about compromises.

Weed is FAR more safer than booze. There's nothing wrong with smoking some doob and watching a movie. Hell, music never sounded better after getting high. As long as you have your priorities straight, there are no problems. Look at Colorado, Washington, California. The ball is already rolling downhill. You should probably step out of the way.
No, I don't drink alcohol. My father was an alcoholic and used to beat the living crap out of my mother, sister, and I on a regular basis. I agree, weed is much safer than booze. However, If I didn't smoke weed in high school, I probably wouldn't be a UPS slave right now. I would have had a M.B.A. and be bossing little piss-ants like my center manager around instead.

browniehound

It kind of seems like you want me to fail, but thanks for the answer. And to answer yours, I am a very aggressive and hard worker, why do you think UPS kept me on after the peak season, I started out on small sort then they moved me to sorting and then they moved me to unloader. I work everyday as an unloader and twice out of the week as a re-loader during the night. What I do for "fun/relaxation/enjoyment" should not affect my work. But thanks.

Ah yes, to be kept on after to peak season. The pinnacle of one's life. Its what all people dream of as kids when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up". "Daddy, I want to work in small sort and hope they keep me after Dec. 25th". It has affected your work for the simple reason you're working in this hell hole like the rest of us. Nobody chooses this as a career. We all end up here because there is nothing better for us because you got stoned all the time instead of going to class.

browniehound

Sorry....but you are wrong....I also know of drivers who were piss tested following an accident.
Sorry but you're wrong. Nobody here has got piss tested after an accident in the 20 years I've been here. I've been in 5 accidents and have never got piss tested. Not sure where you're getting your disinformation from.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
From what I hear it's the flave of the year with the DOT. From what I understand about severe apnea, it will interfere with sleep so much it will cause you to be sleepy all day with the possibility of dozing of while driving.
The DOT stopped the mandate to test for sleep apnea last October. Why are they still testing you? They did start doing it bit stopped because the cost of everything was not weighed into the ramifications of the test. They need to restudy it to find out if the money invovled is worth it.

Health reasons aside, apnea can be a serious issue, the DOT does not require the test based on neck size anymore. Only if you check that you snore on the form.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
i was told a few years ago it was for drugs and never questioned it. I dont smoke so i never really gave it a second thought. My dont i feel foolish lol
Package drivers are not subject to DOT drug testing. They are not drug tested for pre-employment or DOT recertification. The test strip is just checking for glucose in the urine. Possible sign of diabetes. That is all they are looking for. Package drivers can only be drug tested for reasonable cause or post accident.

Feeder drivers are subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. This is related to the DOT rules for drivers requiring a CDL. They are not subject to DOT recertification drug testing. Again, just checking for diabetes during the recertification. They are also subject to reasonable cause and post accident just like package drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sorry but you're wrong. Nobody here has got piss tested after an accident in the 20 years I've been here. I've been in 5 accidents and have never got piss tested. Not sure where you're getting your disinformation from.
From a friend of mine who's been a driver for 25 years....maybe it varies by state or region....but it does happen.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The DOT stopped the mandate to test for sleep apnea last October. Why are they still testing you? They did start doing it bit stopped because the cost of everything was not weighed into the ramifications of the test. They need to restudy it to find out if the money invovled is worth it.

Health reasons aside, apnea can be a serious issue, the DOT does not require the test based on neck size anymore. Only if you check that you snore on the form.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The place where I got the DOT physical must not have gotten the memo. This was the first time I went to this place because the place I used to go was dropped by UPS. I wonder if they have an "arrangement" with the sleep place. I was tested several years ago and passed but this time got dinged.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sleep Apnea is a safety issue because you simply can fall asleep while driving. I was fine while delivering my route, because stopping 18-20 times an hour kept me awake during the day. But driving 27 mile to work in the morning was another story. I felt like I was in a daze for the last decade or two, I started to just fall asleep while sitting somewhere when I got off work. It also causes high blood pressure too, I'm hoping to come off of my meds in the future. Sleep Apnea is caused by your throat relaxing and your tongue blocks off your breathing when you fall asleep, my brain woke my body up 60-70 times an hour when I had my sleep study done. I went on a C-PAP machine last November, I feel so much better. I wake up fully alert and need less sleep now. They did measure my neck when I had my DOT physical in February.