drug test

I was a rehire from seasonal employment and was in the new training class and the manager thought I was under the influence which I was not. I did have drugs in my system though. The manager sent hr over to drug test me and I did. I was wondering what would happen next? Do I go into work monday unless I get a call from hr? Will I be fired? I just want the best advice to prevent getting fired since im not protected by the union. Any advice? Should I admit to having a drug problem and seek treatment to keep my job? Please help

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I was a rehire from seasonal employment and was in the new training class and the manager thought I was under the influence which I was not. I did have drugs in my system though. The manager sent hr over to drug test me and I did. I was wondering what would happen next? Do I go into work monday unless I get a call from hr? Will I be fired? I just want the best advice to prevent getting fired since im not protected by the union. Any advice? Should I admit to having a drug problem and seek treatment to keep my job? Please help

How are you not under the influence with drugs in your system?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If you're scheduled to report to work, report to work. Again... unless you've been told not to report to work, or if you receive a call before your shift informing you not to report to work, report to work.

You're within your probationary period. UPS does not need to provide a reason to terminate your employment... in fact, they very rarely formally terminate probationary employees. Instead, they just stop scheduling them to report to work.

You could certainly try to plead that you need help for a drug problem -- it never hurts to try. Maybe management is empathetic toward your situation.

But let's be realistic: management thought you were under the influence of drugs while on the clock and ordered a drug test. Even if you were a senior employee... it's usually too late at this point. Quite frankly, I'm surprised a new hire was given a drug test, instead of just never being called back into work. Unless your management team is really empathetic...

You're done. It's time to move on.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The simplest way to avoid this is, dont. They can check my urine, hair, blood whatever they want and its a great feeling to know, Im safe. Now when I retire, I might go buy a truckload of weed, which stays in your system, with no effect, for 30 + days, It is enough to get fired for, it is still now illegal, in most states, so do not. Simple, want to work, dont do drugs. As for who to call I would have my BA there to help me through the mess. I would show up, early, well groomed, and hope for the best.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
There's no need for you to call - it's beyond your control.

If this just happened Friday, management may not have the results available until after your shift's been completed tomorrow.

You may be informally terminated, in which you'll receive a phone call, or be told when you report to work (beginning or end), not to report again until you're called to do so. Maybe they'll just leave it at 'not to report again.'

You may be slightly more formally terminated, in which you're brought into the office, explained to that management suspected you were under the influence and that you subsequently failed a drug test - thus, your employment is being terminated.

They may also tell you over the phone that you failed your drug test and not to report to work again.

IF management desires for you to continue your employment, you'll be given an opportunity to plead for your job. But there's nobody to call and plead to -- they ordered a drug test, you failed it, they don't care.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
First things first. If you were removed from duty for a drug test because you reported to work "under the influence" ( no matter what levels), then you are removed until you are directed to report. I am sure they told you this at the doctors office. There is NO WAY they wouldnt. You have to sign documents during the test.

Second, regardless of the level of drugs, let me be the first to say that YOU DONT BELONG at UPS if you are a drug user of any kind. Peoples lives depend on the sober actions of their fellow workers and the last thing anyone needs is a "loaded" guy handling the belt system, or a package car, or a forklift.

Personally, I hope you fail and get walked out permanately. I cant stand drug users.

TOS.